* RE: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-08-23 15:35 Polley Christopher W
From: Polley Christopher W @ 2002-08-23 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'
  Cc: 'John Vincent', 'j_r_fonseca@yahoo.co.uk'

John Vincent wrote on Friday, August 23, 2002 11:35 AM:
>To: soren_andersen@fastmail.fm; cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
>

>Hi,
>
>I'd also be interested in such a utility. I tried a google
>search, and although I found some relevent discussions, I
>failed to find any tools or a specific URL. Can anyone help
>me out on this?
>
>Thanks in advance
>/John Vincent.
>

>>From: Soren A <soren_andersen@fastmail.fm>
>>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>>Subject: Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
>>Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:05:59 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>>Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote around 08 Feb 2002
>>news:20020208125717.C12075@cygbert.vinschen.de about %s:
>>
>> > From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com>

>> > This *might* be OT but actually I would find that useful, yes.
>> > I have no idea if sth. like that already exists.
>>
>>This article is so old that it's very unlikely the orig. poster still
>>cares about seeing an answer here, but just FYI I will mention that I
>>believe that something like this does exist. Jose Fonseca, I
>recall, who
>>is active in MinGW development, wrote an awk script to do
>this. His site
>>seems to flicker in and out of existence (sorry, I don't have the url
>>but it's findable on Google).
>>
>>   HTH,
>>    Soren

This was posted on another list.  See:
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/6013/2002/2/150/7847100/
and
http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/6013/2002/2/150/7847323/

also, try http://mefriss1.swan.ac.uk/~jfonseca/gnu-win32/software/msds/

Regards,
Chris

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-08-23 15:36 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-08-23 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hallo John,

[Convert VC Makefiles to MinGW Makefile]

Here it is:
http://mefriss1.swan.ac.uk/~jfonseca/gnu-win32/software/msds/

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-08-23 13:33 John Vincent
From: John Vincent @ 2002-08-23 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: soren_andersen, cygwin

Hi,

I'd also be interested in such a utility. I tried a google
search, and although I found some relevent discussions, I
failed to find any tools or a specific URL. Can anyone help
me out on this?

Thanks in advance
/John Vincent.

>From: Soren A <soren_andersen@fastmail.fm>
>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
>Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 14:05:59 +0000 (UTC)
>
>Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote around 08 Feb 2002
>news:20020208125717.C12075@cygbert.vinschen.de about %s:
>
> > From: Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:21:55AM -0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
> >> Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project
> >> written in MS VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
> >>
> >> Would anyone else find this useful?
> >
> > This *might* be OT but actually I would find that useful, yes.
> > I have no idea if sth. like that already exists.
>
>This article is so old that it's very unlikely the orig. poster still
>cares about seeing an answer here, but just FYI I will mention that I
>believe that something like this does exist. Jose Fonseca, I recall, who
>is active in MinGW development, wrote an awk script to do this. His site
>seems to flicker in and out of existence (sorry, I don't have the url
>but it's findable on Google).
>
>   HTH,
>    Soren
>

>--

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-08-21  7:32   ` Soren A
From: Soren A @ 2002-08-21  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-02-09  1:07   ` Simon McCaughey
From: Simon McCaughey @ 2002-02-09  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> I'm just in the final stages of cleaning it up and finding a
> home for it (probably will end up on savannah).

these responses are all very interesting, currently at work we seem to have
standardised on MS VC++ so within the next few months I *will* be finding or
making a system that does this, when I do I will let you all know.

Simon

PS FAO:Daniel Adams - OT means Off Topic

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08 19:01 ` Ryan T. Sammartino
From: Ryan T. Sammartino @ 2002-02-08 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon McCaughey; +Cc: cygwin, wgacquer

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:21:55AM +0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
> Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project written in MS
> VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
>
> Would anyone else find this useful?

At the risk of going even further off topic...

I'm working on a system whereby you specify how you want something
built in some independent way (a la Makefile.am), and you get
Makefiles AND Visual Studio .dsp and .dsw files generated
(and, in fact, the system has a "plugin" kind of architecture,
so you could also generate CodeWarrior projects, KProject
projects, or whatever... but for now I only have Makefile
and .dsp generators).

I'm just in the final stages of cleaning it up and finding a
home for it (probably will end up on savannah).

--
Ryan T. Sammartino
http://members.shaw.ca/ryants/
It is surely a great calamity for a human being to have no obsessions.
- Robert Bly

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  9:36 Ames Andreas (PN-SYS/A)
From: Ames Andreas (PN-SYS/A) @ 2002-02-08  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hi,

this may not nearly be what you are looking for but I went my current
project from Visual Studio C++ to cygwin make some time ago (when it was
smaller).  I exported an nmake makefile from VS and produced my makefile
manually.  This was easy because the project was smaller then.  The nmake
makefile is useful for learning about the compiler and linker flags to be
used.  I think its not that hard to handcraft your makefile from the nmake
template (even for moderately larger projects).

The one thing that I couldn't solve this way was producing the dependencies.
Luckily I found a Tcl-script called MkDepend which helped me to do it.
Cygwin comes with a tcl-shell so everything was there.  I only had to do
some minor changes to MkDepend to make it behave like I wanted.

If you can use it, please mail me; I will then send it to you.  Beware:  its
terribly slow ;-) (cause of tcl) but it works good enough (at least for me).

If that is not what you need, please ignore me.

cheers,

andreas

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  8:31 ` Daniel Adams
From: Daniel Adams @ 2002-02-08  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I can vouch for myself as a mere user that ejoys dabbling in the
programming stuff, this could be very useful adding to the fact that if
whoever finds this possible might be able to have it using shell variables
for the makefiles, then they would not only be useful on multiple cygwin
style systems, but on any other UNiX flavor machine.

This may be a dumg question but could someone clarify what OT means??

Sincerely,
Daniel Adams
http://dana.ucc.nau.edu/~dpa3

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Simon McCaughey wrote:

> Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project written in MS
> VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
>
> Would anyone else find this useful?
>
> Having searched the archives, and the web I haven't had any success.
>
> Thanks
> Simon
>

> --

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  8:25     ` Tim Heath
From: Tim Heath @ 2002-02-08  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yes someone has.  It was in the automake email list.  Please search
there.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 12:57:17PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:21:55AM -0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
> >>Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project written
> >>in MS VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
> >>
> >>Would anyone else find this useful?
> >
> >This *might* be OT but actually I would find that useful, yes.  I have
> >no idea if sth.  like that already exists.
>
> I don't think it's OT.  I've wanted this from time to time myself.
>
> (Sorry for the me too, but I wanted to address the OTness)
>
> cgf
>
> --

* RE: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  8:19     ` Norman Vine
From: Norman Vine @ 2002-02-08  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor writes:

>On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 12:57:17PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:21:55AM -0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
>>>Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project written
>>>in MS VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
>>>
>>>Would anyone else find this useful?
>>
>>This *might* be OT but actually I would find that useful, yes.  I have
>>no idea if sth.  like that already exists.
>
>I don't think it's OT.  I've wanted this from time to time myself.
>
>(Sorry for the me too, but I wanted to address the OTness)

Jose Fonseca has written a couple of handy scripts for converting
MSVC projects -> MingW makefiles

http://mefriss1.swan.ac.uk/~jfonseca/gnu-win32/software/msds/index.html

Cheers

Norman

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  8:04   ` Robert Praetorius
From: Robert Praetorius @ 2002-02-08  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:21:55AM -0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
> > Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project written in MS
> > VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
> >
> > Would anyone else find this useful?
>
> This *might* be OT but actually I would find that useful, yes.
> I have no idea if sth. like that already exists.

     I second this.  Not from personal experience, but from having watched
a release engineers manually convert MSVC-generated makefiles into
something intelligible by humans, so that they could inject a bit of
flexibility and portability into the way things got built.

     That is to say - I would not (yet) have had occasion to use it
myself, but I've certainly observed instances where it'd be useful.
And perhaps it'd make it easier for people who want to be less chained to
Microsoft and thereby encourage more open software development.

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  7:52   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-02-08  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 12:57:17PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:21:55AM -0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
>>Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project written
>>in MS VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
>>
>>Would anyone else find this useful?
>
>This *might* be OT but actually I would find that useful, yes.  I have
>no idea if sth.  like that already exists.

I don't think it's OT.  I've wanted this from time to time myself.

(Sorry for the me too, but I wanted to address the OTness)

cgf

* Re: OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  3:57 ` Corinna Vinschen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2002-02-08  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 11:21:55AM -0000, Simon McCaughey wrote:
> Has anyone ever written a makefile converter so that a project written in MS
> VC++ can be compiled with gcc?
>
> Would anyone else find this useful?

This *might* be OT but actually I would find that useful, yes.
I have no idea if sth. like that already exists.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* OT: MS Visual C++ Makefiles
@ 2002-02-08  3:19 Simon McCaughey