* re: No shortcuts after default install - how to start cygwin?
@ 2014-04-26 22:04 ben modra
From: ben modra @ 2014-04-26 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks Duncan,

I thought there must be more to it than that - if I run bash.exe then
nothing works. Even basic commands like cygcheck and ls return
'command not found'.
Other ways to start also fail, eg startxwin.exe then a window opens
and immediately closes.

The setup log seems fine to me (no errors) but I don't really know
what to look for.

> Hi,
> After performing a standard (default) install using setup-x86.exe,
> there are no shortcuts in the start menu or desktop.  I don't really
> mind but don't know how to initiate cygwin without it.
>
> Its a work pc, which means I have little control over the system, and
> it has been meddled with quite a bit.  Running XP.  It quite common
> for this to happen on installing software, and I usually just make a
> desktop shortcut. Must be unusual for others because I can't find any
> reference to it in the archives.
>
> Can you please tell me how to run cygwin without the shortcut?
>
> Thanks

I make shortcuts to /cygwin/bin/bash.exe and /cygwin64/bin/bash.exed (I have
both). Perhaps there is a better way to do it, but that works for me,

Cheers ... Duncan.

* Re: No shortcuts after default install - how to start cygwin?
@ 2014-04-27  0:50 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-04-27  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben modra, cygwin

Greetings, ben modra!

Please don't top-post and teach your mail reader to properly handle
"References" or "In-Reply-to" headers.

>>> Hi,
>>> After performing a standard (default) install using setup-x86.exe,
>>> there are no shortcuts in the start menu or desktop.  I don't really
>>> mind but don't know how to initiate cygwin without it.
>>>
>>> Its a work pc, which means I have little control over the system, and
>>> it has been meddled with quite a bit.  Running XP.  It quite common
>>> for this to happen on installing software, and I usually just make a
>>> desktop shortcut. Must be unusual for others because I can't find any
>>> reference to it in the archives.
>>>
>>> Can you please tell me how to run cygwin without the shortcut?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> I make shortcuts to /cygwin/bin/bash.exe and /cygwin64/bin/bash.exed (I have
>> both). Perhaps there is a better way to do it, but that works for me,

> I thought there must be more to it than that - if I run bash.exe then
> nothing works. Even basic commands like cygcheck and ls return
> 'command not found'.
> Other ways to start also fail, eg startxwin.exe then a window opens
> and immediately closes.

> The setup log seems fine to me (no errors) but I don't really know
> what to look for.

You can always re-run the setup and ask it to create shortcuts anew without
installing/updating anything, and check the log more closely.
Perhaps it is trying to write to AllUsers profile, which is not accessible,
unless you have admin rights.
Try starting setup with --no-admin switch.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: No shortcuts after default install - how to start cygwin?
@ 2014-04-29 12:35   ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-04-29 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, cygwin

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

>> After performing a standard (default) install using setup-x86.exe,
>> there are no shortcuts in the start menu or desktop.  I don't really
>> mind but don't know how to initiate cygwin without it.

> Given that there should be shortcuts and or start menu entries and this is a
> new install anayway, how about you simply remove the directory and start
> over with a new install?  Don't forget to keep the boxes checked that tell
> setup it should install those shortcuts.

No need to remove anything. You can (re)create shortcuts every time you need.
Just tick the box(es) at the end of setup and don't forget to press "finish"
instead of closing the dialog.

--

@ 2014-04-29  7:36 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-29  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ben modra writes:
> After performing a standard (default) install using setup-x86.exe,
> there are no shortcuts in the start menu or desktop.  I don't really
> mind but don't know how to initiate cygwin without it.

Given that there should be shortcuts and or start menu entries and this is a
new install anayway, how about you simply remove the directory and start
over with a new install?  Don't forget to keep the boxes checked that tell
setup it should install those shortcuts.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: No shortcuts after default install - how to start cygwin?
@ 2014-04-26 15:04 ` V.99
From: V.99 @ 2014-04-26 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 26.4.2014 11:35, ben modra wrote:
> Hi,
> After performing a standard (default) install using setup-x86.exe,
> there are no shortcuts in the start menu or desktop.  I don't really
> mind but don't know how to initiate cygwin without it.
>
> Its a work pc, which means I have little control over the system, and
> it has been meddled with quite a bit.  Running XP.  It quite common
> for this to happen on installing software, and I usually just make a
> desktop shortcut. Must be unusual for others because I can't find any
> reference to it in the archives.
>
> Can you please tell me how to run cygwin without the shortcut?
>
> Thanks
Hi,

target of my shortcut is
C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -i /Cygwin-Terminal.ico -
It is shortcut made by cygwins setup on windows xp.

--

.: Vlado :.

* Re: No shortcuts after default install - how to start cygwin?
@ 2014-04-26  9:53 ` Duncan Roe
From: Duncan Roe @ 2014-04-26  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 07:35:03PM +1000, ben modra wrote:
> Hi,
> After performing a standard (default) install using setup-x86.exe,
> there are no shortcuts in the start menu or desktop.  I don't really
> mind but don't know how to initiate cygwin without it.
>
> Its a work pc, which means I have little control over the system, and
> it has been meddled with quite a bit.  Running XP.  It quite common
> for this to happen on installing software, and I usually just make a
> desktop shortcut. Must be unusual for others because I can't find any
> reference to it in the archives.
>
> Can you please tell me how to run cygwin without the shortcut?
>
> Thanks

I make shortcuts to /cygwin/bin/bash.exe and /cygwin64/bin/bash.exed (I have
both). Perhaps there is a better way to do it, but that works for me,

Cheers ... Duncan.

* No shortcuts after default install - how to start cygwin?
@ 2014-04-26  9:35 ben modra
                   ` (2 more replies)