* Request to link to your website
@ 2017-10-26 15:43 Kristopher Kelly
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kristopher Kelly @ 2017-10-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: LearningContent

Hello:

The University of Phoenix, a for-profit university accredited by the Higher
Learning Commission, would like to link to one or more pages within
https://cygwin.com and install the associated software. The link(s) will be
provided to students and faculty within university courses; the university
will not be copying your content.

While your terms of service seem to allow direct linking to your site, we
prefer to seek your permission. Does the University of Phoenix have
permission to link to this website?

Sincerely,

Kristopher Kelly, MIS, MBA

Learning Content Services

University of Phoenix

4025 S Riverpoint Pkwy | Mail Stop CF-K410 | Phoenix AZ 85040
T. 602.557.3051  |  F. 602.643.0871 Kristopher.Kelly@phoenix.edu

phoenix.edu

* Re: Request to link to your website
@ 2017-10-26 16:52 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-10-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, kmk1976

On 2017-10-26 09:43, Kristopher Kelly wrote:
> The University of Phoenix, a for-profit university accredited by the Higher
> Learning Commission, would like to link to one or more pages within
> https://cygwin.com and install the associated software. The link(s) will be
> provided to students and faculty within university courses; the university
> will not be copying your content.
> While your terms of service seem to allow direct linking to your site, we
> prefer to seek your permission. Does the University of Phoenix have
> permission to link to this website?

As Cygwin is a volunteer project with limited resources (the .com is a remnant
of when it used to be part of Cygnus then RedHat), and support is only by email
to subscribers to the mailing list from subscribers (OP CCed as they are
unlikely to be subscribed), it seems unsuitable for either registering or
supporting a population of hundreds to thousands of students.

Software packages are only available from public mirrors listed on
https://cygwin.com/mirrors.html, so perhaps they could set up a public mirror as
described on that page, including the website and setup programs, or a local
private mirror from a nearby public mirror, and provide local support like most
universities do.

Not sure who would even be able to give permission for linking - someone in the
sourceware.org hosting umbrella organization for these projects must have some
authority?

From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-10-26 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, kmk1976

@ 2017-10-26 18:28 ` Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2017-10-26 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: LearningContent

On 26.10.2017 08:43, Kristopher Kelly wrote:
> The University of Phoenix, a for-profit university accredited by the
> Higher
> Learning Commission, would like to link to one or more pages within
> https://cygwin.com and install the associated software. The link(s)
> will be
> provided to students and faculty within university courses; the
> university
> will not be copying your content.

Wow, outlandish ...

In the long run, it may be cheaper for the U of Phoenix to get some sort
of group counselling for this paranoia, if it is departmentally
proliferated.

If permission had to be obtained for every link, we would not have
a World Wide Web to speak of.

You do realize there are user-submission-driven news sites out there
which feature hundreds of stories daily, each with a random link to
something?

SlashDot has been doing this since 1997; twenty years.

Yes, it is safe to come out of your bunker; the radio-activity report
was exaggerated ...