* No admin setup questions
@ 2021-02-23 16:08 Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]
From: Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] @ 2021-02-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Hi All,

I just downloaded the freshest setup.exe from the website to update a very old installation on a work PC, and am running it with -B (no admin).

First thing I noticed is that the front page of the website (Cygwin.com) tells me that the latest Cygwin is 3.1.6, but the setup is downloading 3.1.7-1.

Also, I see a lot of messages in the cmd.exe "terminal" window, from where setup was run:  it seems to be logging all actions, including that I was not allowed to open service controller, and missing some rights, what the download and install path are, which packages are being downloaded, extracted and installing.

I do not remember seeing any of those in a "more regular" use (without the -B, when I just click the icon with the program).

Is that some sort of a debugging output left behind?  Just curios, if that's a debug version of the setup ended up on being offered for download inadvertently.

Also, procmail fails to post-install (I don't need it, so I don't basically care).

running: C:\cygwin64\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile "/etc/postinstall/procmail.sh"
abnormal exit: exit code=1

Thanks,
Anton

* RE: No admin setup questions
@ 2021-02-27  2:44 Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C]
From: Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] @ 2021-02-27  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

> Your non-elevated non-admin USER may not have perms to create logs in any of the
> usual places /var/log/, /tmp/, ./, /

No, I'm the sole user of this installation (that is, all files are "owned" by my user ID, under the Cygwin root)...

The real reason was explained to me in a private response that I am posting below.

Thanks for prepping the procmail postinstall patch -- hopefully, it'll be seen by the package maintainer and adopted into the package, appropriately.

Thanks,
Anton Lavrentiev