* Some repeated tasks at every update
@ 2024-02-25  5:38 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2024-02-25  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

There are 12 tasks never shown ".done" in /etc/postinstall/ (6  .dash and 6 .sh) and therefore repeated at every update.
(Other users' installations might have 12 +/-.)
They are not particularly intrusive (though they can take a while) but nor is their inclusion or the exclusion of many others
at all obvious, except perhaps for *update* and maybe autorebase.
Not really too bothered about rationale but can an Admin confirm their necessary presence?

* Re: Some repeated tasks at every update
@ 2024-02-25 15:36 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2024-02-25 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2024-02-24 22:38, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
> There are 12 tasks never shown ".done" in /etc/postinstall/ (6  .dash and 6 .sh) and therefore repeated at every update.
> (Other users' installations might have 12 +/-.)
> They are not particularly intrusive (though they can take a while) but nor is their inclusion or the exclusion of many others
> at all obvious, except perhaps for *update* and maybe autorebase.
> Not really too bothered about rationale but can an Admin confirm their necessary presence?

A list of those would be useful unless access to your system is available?

If they start with 0p_... or zp_... they are perpetual pre- or post- postinstall
scripts e.g. all systems should have the following:

	0p_000_autorebase.dash
	0p_update-info-dir.dash

	zp_man-db-update-index.dash

run after all other setup steps have been performed, but either before or after
all postinstall scripts in installed or upgraded packages have been run.

See "setup.exe new postinstall facitilities":

	https://cygwin.com/legacy-ml/cygwin-apps/2014-12/msg00148.html

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Some repeated tasks at every update
@ 2024-02-25 17:06 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2024-02-25 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly, brian.inglis

>> A list of those would be useful unless access to your system is available?

Thank you Brian.
For info my very reduced but entirely adequate Cygwin installation (to my purposes) is driven by
setup-x86_64 -P ImageMagick,R,autoconf,automake,bash-completion,bc,binutils,bison,byacc,
coreutils,cpio,csih,cygutils,cygutils-extra,diffutils,dos2unix,e2fsprogs,fdupes,file, findutils,flex,
gcc,gcc-core,gcc-g++,gnuplot-X11,gv,hexedit,joe,libRmath-devel,libX11-devel,
libheif-devel,libheif-tool,libncurses-devel,libreadline-devel,libsqlite3-devel,libusb-devel,
lua,lua-devel,make,mintty,mkisofs,moreutils,mysql,nano,ncurses,patchutils,python,sqlite3,
tcl-tix,tcl-tk-devel,texlive-collection-latex,tree,util-linux,xinit,xorg-x11-fonts-dpi75,
xorg-x11-fonts-dpi100,xpdf
(sorry for the length) (and some of these are probably carried by Base or setup-defined dependencies)
and as a consequence my 12 persistent updates in /etc/postinstall/ are
    zp_hicolor-icon-theme.sh
    zp_fontconfig_dtd.dash
    zp_adwaita-icon-theme.sh
    0p_000_autorebase.dash
    zp_glib2.0.sh
    zp_desktop-file-utils.sh
    zp_fontconfig_cache_1.sh
    zp_shared-mime-info.sh
    zp_man-db-update-index.dash
    0p_texlive_prep.dash
    zp_texlive_finish.dash
    0p_update-info-dir.dash
The requirements adwaita and texlive are the most time-consuming (and perplexing!).
Fergus