* Setup's local package directory on network share
@ 2017-11-02 13:52 Aaron Digulla
From: Aaron Digulla @ 2017-11-02 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I would like to share the local package cache with other people.

When browse folders in the respective page in setup.exe, no network shares are visible.

When I manually enter the path (using a mapped drive), I get a dialog: "Directory S:\cygwin\Downloads does not exist, would you like me to create it?" which is wrong since the folder exists.

When I click "yes", I get an error "Couldn't create directory. Is drive full or read-only?"

I can create a folder (and delete it) from Explorer, so it's not a Windows permission problem.

What is the problem here? I searched the documentation and it mentions a couple of problems with network shares and Windows authentication but that when Cygwin is already running.

Regards,

http://blog.pdark.de/

* Re: Setup's local package directory on network share
@ 2017-11-02 14:01 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-11-02 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 02.11.2017 um 14:52 schrieb Aaron Digulla:
> What is the problem here? I searched the documentation and it mentions a couple of problems with network shares
> and Windows authentication but that when Cygwin is already running.

The problem most likely is that the (local?) administrator account that
you run setup under has no access rights on that network share and/or
the drive is not mapped for that account while setup is running.

--
Achim.

(on the road :-)

* Re: Setup's local package directory on network share
@ 2017-11-02 15:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2017-11-02 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Digulla, cygwin

Greetings, Aaron Digulla!

> I would like to share the local package cache with other people.

> When browse folders in the respective page in setup.exe, no network shares are visible.

> When I manually enter the path (using a mapped drive), I get a dialog:
> "Directory S:\cygwin\Downloads does not exist, would you like me to create
> it?" which is wrong since the folder exists.

No, it isn't wrong, since you are using mapped drive, which may not exist in a
different user session.
There's an easy solution, though: stop using mapped drives. You should have
been, for 17 years now.

> When I click "yes", I get an error "Couldn't create directory. Is drive full or read-only?"

> I can create a folder (and delete it) from Explorer, so it's not a Windows permission problem.

> What is the problem here? I searched the documentation and it mentions a
> couple of problems with network shares and Windows authentication but that when Cygwin is already running.

Store setup.exe on the same network share and use UNC path to access it.
Then "other people" could use both a fresh package cache and a fresh setup.exe
together.
You can even restrict write access to the share, if desired, then "other
people" could use it to install from downloaded archives, and selected
administrators with write access could refresh package archive.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Setup's local package directory on network share
@ 2017-11-05 22:22   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2017-11-05 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 02.11.2017 um 16:14 schrieb Andrey Repin:
> Greetings, Aaron Digulla!
>
>> I would like to share the local package cache with other people.
>> When browse folders in the respective page in setup.exe, no network shares are visible.
>> When I manually enter the path (using a mapped drive), I get a dialog:
>> "Directory S:\cygwin\Downloads does not exist, would you like me to create
>> it?" which is wrong since the folder exists.
> No, it isn't wrong, since you are using mapped drive, which may not exist in a
> different user session.
You could also avoid switching the user with setup --no-admin.
Same problem if the installation target (the cygwin root) is on a
network drive.
Thomas

@ 2017-11-06  9:28   ` Aaron Digulla
From: Aaron Digulla @ 2017-11-06  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am Donnerstag, November 02, 2017 16:14 CET, Andrey Repin <anrdaemon@yandex.ru> schrieb:

> > When I manually enter the path (using a mapped drive), I get a dialog:
> > "Directory S:\cygwin\Downloads does not exist, would you like me to create
> > it?" which is wrong since the folder exists.
> >
> > What is the problem here? I searched the documentation and it mentions a
> > couple of problems with network shares and Windows authentication but that when Cygwin is already running.
>
> Store setup.exe on the same network share and use UNC path to access it.
> Then "other people" could use both a fresh package cache and a fresh setup.exe
> together.

Thanks, UNC path works.

Regards.

http://blog.pdark.de/