* Cygwin | Supportability
@ 2023-10-02 21:54 Johnson, Jaycob      RTX
From: Johnson, Jaycob      RTX @ 2023-10-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To whom it may concern,

I am inquiring about the supportability of Cygwin. Is the software commercially supported, more specifically, actively supported? Additionally, are there feature updates, bug fix, security fixes that are provided? If so, how often are these released?

Thank you,

Jaycob Johnson
SDA Systems Engineer
O: 714-446-2958
jaycob.johnson@rtx.com

Raytheon | An RTX Business
1801 Hughes Dr.
Fullerton. CA 92833

rtx.com/raytheon<https://www.rtx.com/raytheon> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/raytheon/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/raytheontech> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/raytheontechnologies> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/raytheontechnologies> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/raytheontechnologies>

* Re: Cygwin | Supportability
@ 2023-10-03 17:00 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-10-03 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Johnson, Jaycob RTX

On 2023-10-02 15:54, Johnson, Jaycob RTX via Cygwin wrote:
> I am inquiring about the supportability of Cygwin.
> Is the software commercially supported, more specifically, actively
> supported?
> Additionally, are there feature updates, bug fix, security fixes that are
> provided?
> If so, how often are these released?
I suspect you should be doing your due diligence and looking to answer those
questions yourself.
To answer those questions, you can read the Docs and FAQ linked below in the
list footer, and read the mailing list Archives linked from the site, available
via many mail archive services, and via gmane on Usenet.

If you are uninspired to do that work, then how about:

Many businesses and corporations base parts of their business around Cygwin,
particularly supporting embedded developement, such as RTEMS and other RT, down
to the bare metal, based around newlib libc and its more minimalist variants,
running on MS Windows hosts and servers.

The newlib libc, Cygwin libraries and packages are continually being improved by
patches or updated releases, often daily, to improve compatibility with POSIX, C
and other standards and implementations, host platform support for the latest
releases, and address issues and vulnerabilities.

Both user (e.g. entertainment media) and developer (e.g. tools, services, and
daemons) focused libraries and packages are supported, with some builds and
patches provided by volunteer contributors working for commercial vendors,
including RedHat/IBM, other vendors using those platforms in their businesses,
or building and selling products based on those platforms.

Many patches are submitted and packages supported by volunteer contributors who
find the platform or packages useful on their work or home systems, or the
compatibility and interoperability much better than provided by other products,
some commercial.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry