* Mintty fails to render 3 byte UTF-8 on Windows 7
@ 2018-10-12  3:18 Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-10-12  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

tested with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Test A
------

install: usr/share/fonts/noto/NotoSansMyanmar-Regular.ttf
from: noto-myanmar-fonts

Link font (need relog after):

    set 'HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontLink\SystemLink'
    reg add "$1" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /v Consolas /d NotoSansMyanmar-Regular.ttf

test.txt:

    U+1000 MYANMAR LETTER KA
    [က]

Set font for cmd.exe to Consolas and test:

    chcp 65001
    type test.txt

Test B
------

set font for mintty.exe to Consolas and test:

    chcp.com 65001
    cat test.txt

Results
-------

Both tests pass with Windows 8.1. With Windows 7, only the cmd.exe test will
pass. I am of the position that if cmd.exe passes on Windows 7, then mintty
should as well.

References
----------

- http://developer.microsoft.com/microsoft-edge/tools/vms
- http://docs.microsoft.com/globalization/input/font-technology
- http://fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/1000/index.htm

* Re: Mintty fails to render 3 byte UTF-8 on Windows 7
@ 2018-10-12  7:18 ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2018-10-12  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Steven Penny

Referring to the below paragraph,

I would not be against you providing a patch to fix it. I
doubt any working on the tools or cygwin in their spare time would
mind either and would probably appreciate the help.
---
	When do you plan to submit a fix?
linda
:-)

p.s. - just another cygwin since WinXP or before(?)...

@ 2018-10-12  9:51 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2018-10-12  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Penny, cygwin

Greetings, Steven Penny!

> Test B
> ------

> set font for mintty.exe to Consolas and test:

>     chcp.com 65001

Not related to Cygwin in the slightest. The best it can do it suggest native
Windows console tools to use CP65001 (UTF-8), which very few programs react
to.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin