* gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13  9:39 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-10-13  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For the last month or so every time I update in setup, in the Resolving
Dependencies pane I see

  libvtv0    ()

             Required by: gcc-core

Note the empty version number and description.  I accept it, but the next time I
update, it's back.

Has anyone else seen this?

Andrew

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 10:45 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-13 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@...> writes:
> For the last month or so every time I update in setup, in the Resolving
> Dependencies pane I see
>
>   libvtv0    ()
>
>              Required by: gcc-core

That's another fallout of the gcc-5.2.0 test version, which changed the
dependencies to those for gcc-5.2.0 (that's wrong, IMHO).  It's only
available as "test" as a result, so if you install "curr", then there's no
available version for libvtv that you can install.  I guess we need to
enable different dependencies for "prev", "curr" and "test" in setup.ini.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 11:57   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-13 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/13/2015 6:44 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@...> writes:
>> For the last month or so every time I update in setup, in the Resolving
>> Dependencies pane I see
>>
>>    libvtv0    ()
>>
>>               Required by: gcc-core
>
> That's another fallout of the gcc-5.2.0 test version, which changed the
> dependencies to those for gcc-5.2.0 (that's wrong, IMHO).  It's only
> available as "test" as a result, so if you install "curr", then there's no
> available version for libvtv that you can install.  I guess we need to
> enable different dependencies for "prev", "curr" and "test" in setup.ini.

A simple workaround in this particular case is to just choose libvtv0 for install.

Ken

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 13:31     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-13 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
> A simple workaround in this particular case is to just choose libvtv0 for
install.

You can't since it's a new library that is not yet available as "curr",
unless you are manually installing the test version.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 14:57   ` cyg Simple
From: cyg Simple @ 2015-10-13 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/13/2015 6:44 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> I guess we need to
> enable different dependencies for "prev", "curr" and "test" in setup.ini.

I'm surprised that this hasn't occurred already because of this.  Yes
the dependency tree needs to be needs to be cognizant of version of
dependencies as well as differing libraries.

--
cyg Simple

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 15:23       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-13 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/13/2015 9:31 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown <kbrown <at> cornell.edu> writes:
>> A simple workaround in this particular case is to just choose libvtv0 for
> install.
>
> You can't since it's a new library that is not yet available as "curr",
> unless you are manually installing the test version.

Yes, that's what I meant---manually install the test version.  It's completely
harmless to do that, since the library isn't used by the current version of any
other package.

Ken

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 16:09     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-13 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

cyg Simple writes:
> On 10/13/2015 6:44 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> I guess we need to
>> enable different dependencies for "prev", "curr" and "test" in setup.ini.
>>

> I'm surprised that this hasn't occurred already because of this.  Yes
> the dependency tree needs to be needs to be cognizant of version of
> dependencies as well as differing libraries.

It likely would have occured already if it was a simple patch to setup.
But it minimally needs changes to cygport, setup.hint, setup.ini and
upset as well, so here we are.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 16:11         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-13 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> Yes, that's what I meant---manually install the test version.  It's
> completely harmless to do that, since the library isn't used by the
> current version of any other package.

But someone installing the current gcc will not get the correct
libraries installed unless these get pulled in by other packages (I
believe they are, but I haven't checked), so that's still wrong.  If a
test package has different dependencies than the current one, setup.hint
should have the dependencies for "curr" correct and anyone installing
"test" needs to be aware that there's maybe some dependencies to install
by hand, which the announcement should helpfully provide.

Regards,
Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-13 16:42       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-10-13 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13/10/2015 18:08, Achim Gratz wrote:
> cyg Simple writes:
>> On 10/13/2015 6:44 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>>> I guess we need to
>>> enable different dependencies for "prev", "curr" and "test" in setup.ini.
>>>

>> I'm surprised that this hasn't occurred already because of this.  Yes
>> the dependency tree needs to be needs to be cognizant of version of
>> dependencies as well as differing libraries.

Already happened all the time we have test versions that bump libs.
It is also one of the reason why going "prev" is not always possible.

> It likely would have occured already if it was a simple patch to setup.
> But it minimally needs changes to cygport, setup.hint, setup.ini and
> upset as well, so here we are.

I agree. It is a really a substantial job and should include
moving from setup.hint to <package>-<version>.hint to correctly manage
all dependencies.

As upset seems a big blob, I doubt we will have voluntaries to add that
portion. Plus of course we need to modify setup-<arch>.exe to correctly
manage the new setup.hint.

> Regards,
> Achim.

Regards
Marco

* Re: gcc-core requires libvtv0?
@ 2015-10-14 11:14 ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-10-14 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> For the last month or so every time I update in setup, in the Resolving
> Dependencies pane I see
>
>   libvtv0    ()
>
>              Required by: gcc-core
>
> Note the empty version number and description.  I accept it, but the next time I
> update, it's back.

Fixed now, thanks.

libvtv0	(5.2.0-1)
	GCC vtable verification library