* installing sshd | Win 10 1909 build
@ 2019-12-26 21:05 Evan Cooch
From: Evan Cooch @ 2019-12-26 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Greetings --

I (and several colleagues) have been using the Cygwin sshd for many
years (Win XP on...). Has worked perfectly.

However, with the demise of Win 7, several of us have started the
process of 'upgrading' (in some fashion) to Win 10. For people running
Cygwin sshd under Win 7, who do an in-place upgrade to Win 10, things
seem to be OK -- i.e., Win 10 leaves Cygwin sshd alone.

However, I received an email from a colleague who said he had no host of
problems trying to install Cygwin sshd on a brand new Win 10 system,
1909 build. It seems that Win 10 has its own sshd, and there is a
conflict of some sort between Win 10 (which 'wants' to use its own
sshd), and attempts to use Cygwin.

Since this exercise (of installing to a brand new Win 10 machine) is
something I'll likely be doing myself in the near future, was wondering
if there was a canonical set of instructions on how to install Cygqwin,
using Cygwin sshd as a service, on a Win 10 1909 platform? I've read a
variety of posts on the matter -- spome suggest renaming the Cygwin sshd
to something, others talk about registry hacks to not let Win 10 default
to its own sshd, and so on.

So, is there a 'tried and true, officially sanctioned' way to get Cygin
sshd running as a service under the latest build of Windows 10, if you
working with a clean, new install of Windows?

Thanks much in advance...

* Re: installing sshd | Win 10 1909 build
@ 2019-12-26 21:13 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-12-26 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Cooch, cygwin

Greetings, Evan Cooch!

> So, is there a 'tried and true, officially sanctioned' way to get Cygin
> sshd running as a service under the latest build of Windows 10, if you
> working with a clean, new install of Windows?

> Thanks much in advance...

The only "true and tried" supported way of installing Cygwin's SSHD is the one
using provided ssh-host-config.
That assuming you are using an up-to-date installation of Cygwin.
If you intend to use both Windows and Cygwin SSHD, you'll have to resolve
TCP ports conflict somehow (which should be expected), otherwide, you may
simple uninstall Windows one.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: installing sshd | Win 10 1909 build
@ 2019-12-26 23:03   ` Evan Cooch
From: Evan Cooch @ 2019-12-26 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks, but insufficient. Where is the Cygwin sshd equivalent of the
following for the Windows 10 implementation of OpenSSH?:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/How-To-Use-SSH-Client-and-Server-on-Windows-10-1470/

Is there an equivalent for Cygwin sshd, that deals in a step-by-step
fashion specifically with handling recent build of Windows 10, all of
which have openSSH pre-installed?

@ 2019-12-26 23:53     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2019-12-26 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 26.12.2019 um 22:13 schrieb Evan Cooch:
> Thanks, but insufficient. Where is the Cygwin sshd equivalent of the
> following for the Windows 10 implementation of OpenSSH?:
>
> https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/How-To-Use-SSH-Client-and-Server-on-Windows-10-1470/
>

> Is there an equivalent for Cygwin sshd, that deals in a step-by-step
> fashion specifically with handling recent build of Windows 10, all of
> which have openSSH pre-installed?

Evan,
Bottom post on this mailing list, please.

$ cygcheck -p bin/sshd
Found 4 matches for bin/sshd
openssh-debuginfo-8.0p1-2 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
openssh-debuginfo-8.1p1-1 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
openssh-8.0p1-2 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs
openssh-8.1p1-1 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs

so openssh is the package providing the ssh demon/server

$ cygcheck -l openssh | grep config
/etc/defaults/etc/sshd_config
/etc/defaults/etc/ssh_config
/usr/bin/ssh-host-config
/usr/bin/ssh-user-config
/usr/share/man/man5/sshd_config.5.gz
/usr/share/man/man5/ssh_config.5.gz

ssh-host-config is used to install and configure the Cygwin server
ssh-user-config is used to install user specific files.
Its use is very simple, step by step approuch as mentioned on
/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README

As you can not have two different sshd demons running
  at the same time, use "net start <service>" and
"net stop <service>" that are your usual windows command friends.

Regards
Marco

* Re: installing sshd | Win 10 1909 build
@ 2019-12-27  2:29       ` Evan Cooch
From: Evan Cooch @ 2019-12-27  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/26/2019 4:48 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 26.12.2019 um 22:13 schrieb Evan Cooch:
>> Thanks, but insufficient. Where is the Cygwin sshd equivalent of the
>> following for the Windows 10 implementation of OpenSSH?:
>>
>> https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/How-To-Use-SSH-Client-and-Server-on-Windows-10-1470/
>>

>> Is there an equivalent for Cygwin sshd, that deals in a step-by-step
>> fashion specifically with handling recent build of Windows 10, all of
>> which have openSSH pre-installed?
>>

> Evan,
> Bottom post on this mailing list, please.

Sure -- will do moving forward.

> $ cygcheck -p bin/sshd
> Found 4 matches for bin/sshd
> openssh-debuginfo-8.0p1-2 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
> openssh-debuginfo-8.1p1-1 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
> openssh-8.0p1-2 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs
> openssh-8.1p1-1 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs
>
> so openssh is the package providing the ssh demon/server

Presumably on a machine running the cygwin sshd, correct?

> $ cygcheck -l openssh | grep config
> /etc/defaults/etc/sshd_config
> /etc/defaults/etc/ssh_config
> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config
> /usr/bin/ssh-user-config
> /usr/share/man/man5/sshd_config.5.gz
> /usr/share/man/man5/ssh_config.5.gz
>

> ssh-host-config is used to install and configure the Cygwin server
> ssh-user-config is used to install user specific files.
> Its use is very simple, step by step approuch as mentioned on
> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README
>

> As you can not have two different sshd demons running
>  at the same time, use "net start <service>" and
> "net stop <service>" that are your usual windows command friends.

OK -- but my question wasn't so much about using openSSH, but rather,
how to do an install of Cygwin ssh on a Win 10 machine, which already
has a native ssh server client 'bult in'. A number of us have tried
using the standard approaches for installing cygwin and having sshd run
as a service (approaches that worked fine on Win 7, and pre-1803 builds
of WIn 10), but have had problems with Windows complaining (or, if not
complaining, not allowing a different sshd). It seems as if you need to
'turn off' or 'uninstall' something with recent Win 10 builds to get
Cygwin sshd to install -- and work -- as a service.  That is the step
some of us  are hoping someone can step us through.

@ 2019-12-27  7:20         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2019-12-27  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 27.12.2019 um 00:03 schrieb Evan Cooch:

> On 12/26/2019 4:48 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> Am 26.12.2019 um 22:13 schrieb Evan Cooch:
>>> Thanks, but insufficient. Where is the Cygwin sshd equivalent of the
>>> following for the Windows 10 implementation of OpenSSH?:
>>>
>>> https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/How-To-Use-SSH-Client-and-Server-on-Windows-10-1470/
>>>

>>> Is there an equivalent for Cygwin sshd, that deals in a step-by-step
>>> fashion specifically with handling recent build of Windows 10, all of
>>> which have openSSH pre-installed?
>>>

>> Evan,
>> Bottom post on this mailing list, please.
>
> Sure -- will do moving forward.
>

>> $ cygcheck -p bin/sshd
>> Found 4 matches for bin/sshd
>> openssh-debuginfo-8.0p1-2 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
>> openssh-debuginfo-8.1p1-1 - openssh-debuginfo: Debug info for openssh
>> openssh-8.0p1-2 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs
>> openssh-8.1p1-1 - openssh: The OpenSSH server and client programs
>>
>> so openssh is the package providing the ssh demon/server
>
> Presumably on a machine running the cygwin sshd, correct?

no. Option -p asks the cygwin website and the reply provides
all packages and versions. For this reason I asked for bin/sshd
to trim the answer only to binary programs

>> $ cygcheck -l openssh | grep config
>> /etc/defaults/etc/sshd_config
>> /etc/defaults/etc/ssh_config
>> /usr/bin/ssh-host-config
>> /usr/bin/ssh-user-config
>> /usr/share/man/man5/sshd_config.5.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man5/ssh_config.5.gz

Option -l is for the current installation

>> ssh-host-config is used to install and configure the Cygwin server
>> ssh-user-config is used to install user specific files.
>> Its use is very simple, step by step approuch as mentioned on
>> /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README
>>

>> As you can not have two different sshd demons running
>>  at the same time, use "net start <service>" and
>> "net stop <service>" that are your usual windows command friends.
>
> OK -- but my question wasn't so much about using openSSH, but rather,
> how to do an install of Cygwin ssh on a Win 10 machine, which already
> has a native ssh server client 'bult in'. A number of us have tried
> using the standard approaches for installing cygwin and having sshd run
> as a service (approaches that worked fine on Win 7, and pre-1803 builds
> of WIn 10), but have had problems with Windows complaining (or, if not
> complaining, not allowing a different sshd). It seems as if you need to
> 'turn off' or 'uninstall' something with recent Win 10 builds to get
> Cygwin sshd to install -- and work -- as a service.  That is the step
> some of us  are hoping someone can step us through.

for what I remenber the collision in installing was caused
by MS calling the service sshd just as Cygwin one.
Now the service is installed as cygsshd so there should be no
collision in installation.
See on
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2019-04/msg00017.html

"* sshd(8) Cygwin: Change service name to cygsshd to avoid collision
    with Microsoft's OpenSSH port."

Of course you can not have the two runnning together
so you neeed to stop or disable the MS one.

For that you can use
C:\Windows\System32\services.msc

or the MS "net" command

Regards
Marco

* Re: installing sshd | Win 10 1909 build
@ 2019-12-27 18:20         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-12-27 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Evan Cooch, cygwin

Greetings, Evan Cooch!

> OK -- but my question wasn't so much about using openSSH, but rather,
> how to do an install of Cygwin ssh on a Win 10 machine,

I told you how - install openssh package and run ssh-host-config.

> which already has a native ssh server client 'bult in'. A number of us have
> tried using the standard approaches for installing cygwin and having sshd
> run as a service (approaches that worked fine on Win 7, and pre-1803 builds
> of WIn 10), but have had problems with Windows complaining (or, if not
> complaining, not allowing a different sshd).

And specifically which "approaches" were that?
Because if you've used ssh-host-config, it should have worked from the start,
assuming you've disabled/removed MS's service.

> It seems as if you need to
> 'turn off' or 'uninstall' something with recent Win 10 builds to get
> Cygwin sshd to install -- and work -- as a service.  That is the step
> some of us  are hoping someone can step us through.

If you want to know how to configure other, non-Cygwin services, it's best to
turn to their documentation.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin