* Problem with mksetupini
@ 2017-02-15  7:51 Sunny Lin
From: Sunny Lin @ 2017-02-15  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I encountered a problem and hope someone here can help me through.

I need to build a 32-bit Cygwin distribution with customized packages.
I have calm package installed.  I am learning to use mksetupini to
create a setup.ini file.  I use commands similar to the following but
always generate an INI file with only a header, no package information
in the file.

mksetupini --arch x86 --inifile=setup.ini --releasearea=.

I followed instruction in the following link and got the same result.
https://cygwin.com/package-server.html

What have I done wrong or missed?
Thank you

* Re: Problem with mksetupini
@ 2017-02-15 14:09 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-02-15 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunny Lin, cygwin

On 15/02/2017 07:51, Sunny Lin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I encountered a problem and hope someone here can help me through.
>
> I need to build a 32-bit Cygwin distribution with customized packages.
> I have calm package installed.  I am learning to use mksetupini to
> create a setup.ini file.  I use commands similar to the following but
> always generate an INI file with only a header, no package information
> in the file.
>
> mksetupini --arch x86 --inifile=setup.ini --releasearea=.
>
> I followed instruction in the following link and got the same result.
> https://cygwin.com/package-server.html

Reading over that, it looks like step 2 is in need of a bit of updating
and might have led you astray.

The directory you are pointing to as releasearea should contain x86/,
x86_64/ and noarch/ directories, which should contain a release/
directory, which should contain the various package directories and
subdirectories.

If that layout isn't followed, mksetupini won't be able to find the
packages and thus they won't appear in the output setup.ini

Failing that, perhaps running mksetupini with the --verbose flag will
give a bit more insight into what is happening?

* Re: Problem with mksetupini
@ 2017-02-15 15:13   ` Jon Turney
       [not found]     ` <CAL93U-JX3_kLkqS58BFrp5RzBWnBoU0zaVLrotyNjDaCdOar0A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-02-15 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sunny Lin, cygwin

On 15/02/2017 14:08, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 15/02/2017 07:51, Sunny Lin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I encountered a problem and hope someone here can help me through.
>>
>> I need to build a 32-bit Cygwin distribution with customized packages.
>> I have calm package installed.  I am learning to use mksetupini to
>> create a setup.ini file.  I use commands similar to the following but
>> always generate an INI file with only a header, no package information
>> in the file.
>>
>> mksetupini --arch x86 --inifile=setup.ini --releasearea=.
>>
>> I followed instruction in the following link and got the same result.
>> https://cygwin.com/package-server.html
>
> Reading over that, it looks like step 2 is in need of a bit of updating
> and might have led you astray.

I fixed up those instructions a bit.

> The directory you are pointing to as releasearea should contain x86/,
> x86_64/ and noarch/ directories, which should contain a release/
> directory, which should contain the various package directories and
> subdirectories.
>
> If that layout isn't followed, mksetupini won't be able to find the
> packages and thus they won't appear in the output setup.ini

It seems there is a problem with calm where it doesn't handle symlinks,
as those instructions expect.

I've pushed out an updated calm 20170215-1 package with a fix for that.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

* Re: Problem with mksetupini
       [not found]     ` <CAL93U-JX3_kLkqS58BFrp5RzBWnBoU0zaVLrotyNjDaCdOar0A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2017-02-20 15:18       ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2017-02-20 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Sunny Lin

On 16/02/2017 18:02, Sunny Lin wrote:
> Thank you, Jon.

You're welcome.

Please see https://cygwin.com/problems.html#personal-email

> It works with the default directory structure.  I
> have to add "--okmissing required-package" to work.  Or, it failed at
> line 393 in calm/package.py.

I can't reproduce this.

I can't really comment unless you provide more information about the
error you see, but this tends to suggest that your mirror is incomplete
in some way.

> Is there a way to alter the structure?
> It doesn't seem making sense to keep a directory for 64-bit system
> (x86_64) and noarch if I clearly know my end users need only 32-bit
> packages.  Is the structure a requirement?

Yes, the structure is required.

If you really don't need 64-bit packages, you can of course not bother
with the x86_64 directory.