* cannot guess build type
@ 2017-06-16  2:43 U-BLASTER-6000\mtdew
From: U-BLASTER-6000\mtdew @ 2017-06-16  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi -

I am trying to install a source build of firebird database. I get the
messages:
configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one

i am trying ./configure -with-gpre-cobol

checking build system type... ./config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2001-09-04, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

so I am interested that it is picking up this 2001 script when the
config.guess scripts in /usr/share are newer.

mtdew@BLASTER-6000 ~/fb-super/Firebird-2.5.6.27020-0
$ which automake
/usr/bin/automake

mtdew@BLASTER-6000 ~/fb-super/Firebird-2.5.6.27020-0
$ automake --version
Unescaped left brace in regex is deprecated, passed through in regex; marked by <-- HERE in m/\${ <-- HERE ([^ \t=:+{}]+)}/ at /usr/bin/automake-1.14 line 3930.
automake (GNU automake) 1.14.1
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html>

Written by Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>
       and Alexandre Duret-Lutz <adl@gnu.org>.

mtdew@BLASTER-6000 ~/fb-super/Firebird-2.5.6.27020-0

I am really stuck. I just want to hook up cobol to firebird but i ran
into this brick wall tonight. Obviously this has nothing to do with
actually using fireball and cobol so it gets frustrating.

Please provide any help suggestions if you can.

thx. -jim

* Re: cannot guess build type
@ 2017-06-16  2:51 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-06-16  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 16/06/2017 04:42, U-BLASTER-6000\mtdew wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I am trying to install a source build of firebird database. I get the
> messages:
> configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
>

> i am trying ./configure -with-gpre-cobol
>
> checking build system type... ./config.guess: unable to guess system type
>
> This script, last modified 2001-09-04, has failed to recognize
> the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
> download the most up to date version of the config scripts from
>
> so I am interested that it is picking up this 2001 script when the
> config.guess scripts in /usr/share are newer.
>

> Please provide any help suggestions if you can.

try "autoreconf ifv" this should update the config.guess
but it is possible that you will hit other issues due to the
15 years passed

> thx. -jim

Regards
Marco

* re: cannot guess build type
@ 2017-06-16  3:09 U-BLASTER-6000\mtdew
From: U-BLASTER-6000\mtdew @ 2017-06-16  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Marco-

I already tried that trick. Hey, just wondering. Is it safe to say that
I can bring it to that package maintainer on firebirds end...right? From
what I understand, it is something in their configure script that they
put with the source distribution. Please let me know if it is okay to
contact them.

Have a cool night-

thx. -jim