* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libidn{, 12, -devel, -doc} mingw64-{x86_64, i686}-libidn 1.38
@ 2021-08-02 17:19 Cygwin libidn2 Maintainer
From: Cygwin libidn2 Maintainer @ 2021-08-02 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The following packages have been upgraded in the Cygwin distribution:

* libidn		1.38
* libidn12		1.38
* libidn-devel		1.38
* libidn-doc		1.38
* mingw64-x86_64-libidn	1.38
* mingw64-i686-libidn	1.38

and the following package has been obsoleted from the Cygwin distribution:

* libidn11		1.33

Encode and decode Internationalized Domain Names implementing IETF IDN
WG Stringprep, Punycode and IDNA specifications.

Mingw packages provide MS VC RT-linked binaries, NOT Cygwin binaries,
for use with the mingw64-{x86_64,i686} gcc cross compiler, installed in
/usr/{x86_64,i686}-w64-mingw32/sys-root/mingw/{bin,lib,include}/.

For more information see the project home page:

	https://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/

or the repo README:

	https://gitlab.com/libidn/libidn

Please see below or read /usr/share/doc/libidn/NEWS after installation
for details of changes since the previous Cygwin release 1.33:

	https://gitlab.com/libidn/libidn/-/blob/master/NEWS

Noteworthy changes in release 1.38 (2021-07-22)

* doc: Simplify building of gdoc-generated man/texi outputs. Now the
  targets are rebuilt on version number changes properly.
* doc: Improve GTK-DOC manual.
* build: Fix build errors related to doc/idn--help.texi.
* build: Fix --disable-tld builds. Now tld_strerror() is removed when
  --disable-tld is used.

Noteworthy changes in release 1.37 (2021-05-15)

* doc: Minor fixes and codespell typos.
* Updated translations.
* Update gnulib files and build fixes. We now use gnulib's ./bootstrap
  and gnulib's readme-release infrastructure for making releases.
* API and ABI is backwards compatible with the previous version.

Noteworthy changes in release 1.36 (2020-07-22)

* Fix unlikely memory leak in idna_to_unicode_4z4z().  Patch from
  Miroslav Lichvar.
* Check codepoint validity in punycode_decode() and punycode_decode().
  Reported-by: Mike Schiffman (Farsight Security, Inc.).
* tld: Add U+00EF to .nl TLD table. Reported by Trond Haugen
* Indent code.
* Translation fixes.
* Update gnulib files.
* API and ABI is backwards compatible with the previous version.

Noteworthy changes in release 1.35 (2018-05-11)

* Reflect ABI/API breakage in version 1.34 (Stringprep_profile has a new
  struct member) Reported-by: Miroslav Lichvar
* Added new gnulib files to repository
* Fix build issues introduced in 1.34

Noteworthy changes in release 1.34 (2018-03-31)

* libidn: Fix integer overflow in combine_hangul() Found by fuzzing.
* libidn: Fix integer overflow in punycode decoder Found by fuzzing, fix
* for the fix reported by Christian Weisgerber
* libidn: Fix performance issue in idna_to_unicode_internal() Found by
  fuzzing.
* libidn: Fix performance issue in stringprep functions. Found by
  fuzzing.
* libidn: Fix NULL pointer dereference in g_utf8_normalize() Found by
  fuzzing.
* libidn: Fix NULL pointer dereference in stringprep_ucs4_nfkc_normalize()
  Found by fuzzing.
* libidn: Increase performance of stringprep functions Found by fuzzing.
* testing: Add OSS-fuzz integration and regression testing
* build: Update gnulib files
* build: Modernize GTK-Doc build
* build: Fix parallel builds
* build: Add configure flag --disable-doc
* build: Add configure flag --enable-ubsan (enable UB Sanitizer)
* build: Add configure flag --enable-asan (enable Address Sanitizer)
* build: Fix compiler warnings
* build: Fix build for gcc-7
* i18n: Added Swedish translation. Thanks to Josef Andersson.
* API and ABI is backwards compatible with the previous version.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libidn{, 12, -devel, -doc} mingw64-{x86_64, i686}-libidn 1.38
@ 2021-08-03 15:56 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-08-03 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 02/08/2021 18:19, Cygwin libidn2 Maintainer wrote:
> The following packages have been upgraded in the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * libidn		1.38
> * libidn12		1.38
> * libidn-devel		1.38
> * libidn-doc		1.38
> * mingw64-x86_64-libidn	1.38
> * mingw64-i686-libidn	1.38
>
> and the following package has been obsoleted from the Cygwin distribution:
>
> * libidn11		1.33

I've reverted that obsoletion, by removing 'obsoletes: libidn11' from
the hint for libidn12, since it apparently still has some uses.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libidn{, 12, -devel, -doc} mingw64-{x86_64, i686}-libidn 1.38
@ 2021-08-03 16:14   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-03 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2021-08-03 09:56, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 02/08/2021 18:19, Cygwin libidn2 Maintainer wrote:
>> The following packages have been upgraded in the Cygwin distribution:
>>
>> * libidn			1.38
>> * libidn12			1.38
>> * libidn-devel		1.38
>> * libidn-doc			1.38
>> * mingw64-x86_64-libidn	1.38
>> * mingw64-i686-libidn	1.38
>>
>> and the following package has been obsoleted from the Cygwin
>> distribution:
>>
>> * libidn11			1.33
>
> I've reverted that obsoletion, by removing 'obsoletes: libidn11' from
> the hint for libidn12, since it apparently still has some uses.

Thanks Jon,

Can users just rerun Cygwin Setup so that it will update setup.ini and
reinstall cygidn-11.dll?

Is obsoleting previous dlls something that we should not do on a package
ABI break?

How should maintainers handle such situations in cygport?

I would like to know the correct approach to take to mitigate this and
future such situations, before I create a libidn -2 package release.

Packages impacted would include:

$ cygcheck-dep -qcOSn libidn11 libgmime3.0_0 libgs9 libgsasl7
libloudmouth1_0 libpodofo0.9.{5,6} libpurple0 libinfinity0.6_0 libgvc6
libMagickCore6_2 libMagickCore6_5 libMagickCore6_6 libMagickCore7_7
libspectre1 libinfgtk3_0.6_0 libcurl4
  libidn11: is needed for ( libgmime3.0_0 libgs9 libgsasl7
libloudmouth1_0 libpodofo0.9.3 libpodofo0.9.4 libpodofo0.9.5
libpodofo0.9.6 libpurple0 monotone msmtp mutt whois )
  libgmime3.0_0: is needed for ( gambas3-gb-mime girepository-GMime3.0
grilo0.3-plugins libgmime3.0-devel libtotem-plparser18
libxplayer-plparser18 )
  libgs9: is needed for ( ghostscript gimp libgs-devel libgvc6
libMagickCore6_2 libMagickCore6_5 libMagickCore6_6 libMagickCore7_7
libspectre1 texlive xfig )
  libgsasl7: is needed for ( gsasl libcurl4 libgsasl-devel
libinfinity0.6_0 )
  libloudmouth1_0: is needed for ( abiword-plugins libloudmouth1-devel )
  libpodofo0.9.5: is needed for ( krename scribus )
  libpodofo0.9.6: is needed for ( libpodofo-devel podofo )
  libpurple0: is needed for ( finch libpurple-devel pidgin
pidgin-bonjour pidgin-facebook pidgin-funyahoo-plusplus pidgin-gadugadu
pidgin-indicator pidgin-sametime pidgin-skypeweb pidgin-tcl telepathy-haze )
  libinfinity0.6_0: is needed for ( gobby0.5 infinoted0.6
libinfgtk3_0.6_0 libinfinity0.6-devel )
  libgvc6: is needed for ( gda-browser5.0 graphviz guile-gv gvedit
libgvc-devel libMagickCore7_7 libvala0.38_0 lua-gv ocaml-gv perl-gv
php-gv python2-gv python27-gv python3-gv python36-gv python37-gv ruby-gv
tcl-tcldot )
  libMagickCore6_2: is needed for ( libMagickC++6_6 libMagickWand6_2 )
  libMagickCore6_5: is needed for ( libMagickWand6_5 psiconv )
  libMagickCore6_6: is needed for ( libautotrace3 libMagickC++6_8
libMagickWand6_6 )
  libMagickCore7_7: is needed for ( ImageMagick libMagick-devel
libMagickC++7_4 libMagickWand7_7 perl-Image-Magick )
  libspectre1: is needed for ( atril cantor libevdocument3_4
libgoffice0.10_10 libspectre-devel okular4-part okular5-part qpdfview
zathura-ps )
  libinfgtk3_0.6_0: is needed for ( gobby0.5 libinfgtk3_0.6-devel )
  libcurl4: is needed for ( asymptote audacious-plugins cdo clamav cmake
cmake-gui curl feh gambas3-gb-net-curl geoipupdate gimp-gmic git gmic
gnupg google-breakpad-tools gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-free-extras klavaro
libcfitsio7 libcfitsio9 libcgmic2 libcurl-devel libgdal20 libgdal26
libgdal28 libgdal29 libgit2_23 libgit2_24 libgit2_25 libgmic1 libgmic2
libmediainfo0 libnetcdf11 libnetcdf13 libnetcdf15 libnetcdf19 liboauth0
libofx-tools libpoppler106 libpoppler62 libpoppler66 libpoppler68
libpoppler73 libpoppler99 libproj22 libquvi0.9_4 libraptor2_0
libtesseract-ocr_4 libvirt0 libwsman_client4 mariadb-common mpd ncmpcpp
nmh octave osslsigncode perl-WWW-Curl php-curl qmmp quvi R rtorrent
transmission transmission-gtk transmission-qt transmission-remote-gtk
tumbler vorbis-tools weechat )

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: libidn{, 12, -devel, -doc} mingw64-{x86_64, i686}-libidn 1.38
@ 2021-08-04 12:41     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2021-08-04 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 03/08/2021 17:14, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2021-08-03 09:56, Jon Turney wrote:
>> On 02/08/2021 18:19, Cygwin libidn2 Maintainer wrote:
>>> The following packages have been upgraded in the Cygwin distribution:
>>>
>>> * libidn            1.38
>>> * libidn12            1.38
>>> * libidn-devel        1.38
>>> * libidn-doc            1.38
>>> * mingw64-x86_64-libidn    1.38
>>> * mingw64-i686-libidn    1.38
>>>
>>> and the following package has been obsoleted from the Cygwin
>>> distribution:
>>>
>>> * libidn11            1.33
>>
>> I've reverted that obsoletion, by removing 'obsoletes: libidn11' from
>> the hint for libidn12, since it apparently still has some uses.

... and removed the empty libidn11-1.1.38-1 package (generated by
cygport for compatibility with obsolete versions of setup)

... and added a 'replace-versions: 1.38-1' hint to libidn11 (in case
someone installed the above before I remembered to remove them)

> Can users just rerun Cygwin Setup so that it will update setup.ini and
> reinstall cygidn-11.dll?

Yes, that should fix any broken installs.

> Is obsoleting previous dlls something that we should not do on a package
> ABI break?

Correct, do not do that.

In this context, 'package A obsoletes package B' means 'package B
provides everything that package A did, so if A is installed, uninstall
A and install B'.

This behaviour is not unique to Cygwin packaging.

> How should maintainers handle such situations in cygport?

You don't need to mention the old soversion in the updated cygport at all.

(a heuristic in calm identifies old soversions, and exempts them from
the (annoying) "all install packages from a source package must have a
unique current version" check)

(Yes, that means that those old soversions, and the corresponding
source, linger in the repository indefinitely.  yselkowitz would
occasionally manually locate old soversions which aren't required by any
other package (or which could be made so with some rebuilds), and purge
them from the repo, but ... that service is no longer running :))

@ 2021-08-04 15:40       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2021-08-04 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2021-08-04 06:41, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 03/08/2021 17:14, Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> I've reverted that obsoletion, by removing 'obsoletes: libidn11' from
>>> the hint for libidn12, since it apparently still has some uses.
>
> ... and removed the empty libidn11-1.1.38-1 package (generated by
> cygport for compatibility with obsolete versions of setup)
>
> ... and added a 'replace-versions: 1.38-1' hint to libidn11 (in case
> someone installed the above before I remembered to remove them)
>
>> Can users just rerun Cygwin Setup so that it will update setup.ini and
>> reinstall cygidn-11.dll?
>
> Yes, that should fix any broken installs.
>
>> Is obsoleting previous dlls something that we should not do on a
>> package ABI break?
>
> Correct, do not do that.
>
> In this context, 'package A obsoletes package B' means 'package B
> provides everything that package A did, so if A is installed, uninstall
> A and install B'.
>
> This behaviour is not unique to Cygwin packaging.
>
>> How should maintainers handle such situations in cygport?
>
> You don't need to mention the old soversion in the updated cygport at all.
>
> (a heuristic in calm identifies old soversions, and exempts them from
> the (annoying) "all install packages from a source package must have a
> unique current version" check)
>
> (Yes, that means that those old soversions, and the corresponding
> source, linger in the repository indefinitely.  yselkowitz would
> occasionally manually locate old soversions which aren't required by any
> other package (or which could be made so with some rebuilds), and purge
> them from the repo, but ... that service is no longer running :))

Thanks Jon for the fix.
*Sorry* to all users impacted to have caused the issue.