* cygcheck -f reorders output
@ 2017-09-15 19:38 Nellis, Kenneth
From: Nellis, Kenneth @ 2017-09-15 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I found it surprising that the packages aren't listed in the order requested:

$ cygcheck -f `which bash find grep xargs cygwin1.dll`
bash-4.4.12-3
cygwin-2.9.0-3
findutils-4.6.0-1
findutils-4.6.0-1
grep-3.0-2
$

Adds a bit of challenge to match the output with the parameters.

--Ken Nellis

* Re: cygcheck -f reorders output
@ 2017-09-15 19:54 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2017-09-15 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 15/09/2017 21:38, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I found it surprising that the packages aren't listed in the order requested:
>
> $ cygcheck -f `which bash find grep xargs cygwin1.dll`
> bash-4.4.12-3
> cygwin-2.9.0-3
> findutils-4.6.0-1
> findutils-4.6.0-1
> grep-3.0-2
> $
>
> Adds a bit of challenge to match the output with the parameters.

it is a side effect of the order of search in the
/etc/setup/*.gz file list.
The first match is reported first and so on.

To maintain the order

$ for i in  `which bash find grep xargs cygwin1.dll`;
   do cygcheck -f $i;done

bash-4.4.12-3
findutils-4.6.0-1
grep-3.0-2
findutils-4.6.0-1
cygwin-2.9.0-3

* Re: cygcheck -f reorders output
@ 2017-09-15 20:02 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-09-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-09-15 13:38, Nellis, Kenneth wrote:
> I found it surprising that the packages aren't listed in the order requested:
>
> $ cygcheck -f `which bash find grep xargs cygwin1.dll`
> bash-4.4.12-3
> cygwin-2.9.0-3
> findutils-4.6.0-1
> findutils-4.6.0-1
> grep-3.0-2
> $
>
> Adds a bit of challenge to match the output with the parameters.

Depends on what you want to do with it?
Use a loop thru the names and use which then cygcheck on each.