* System tray menu tuning & Xwin0.log in mintty console with startx
@ 2016-07-14  8:01 pigreco erre
From: pigreco erre @ 2016-07-14  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear all,
I see the address in Cygwin suggest notes
Since I have some little question with my Cygwin in USB porting, I think that you can drive me if there are a solution.
I use cygwin with Emacs,Vim,Gcc & R on my university exams so I am testing Cyg in USB stick.
I would to change some parameter on lauch items in system tray menu.
Could you suggest me where I can tune the run-parameters for example to adjust "Open XServer" lauch option(inserted in system tray menu) or change the item "Beenden" on "Cyg-exit"? (if these are permitted)
The second question concern the start X server.
When I launch it with starx script within  mintty console,
It appears on the screen the information that the server writes into the log file Xwin.0.log
Why when I launch the same server with startxwin it doesn't happen?
How can I  made to avoid this strange behaviour?
Excuse me if I am disturbing you and I thank you again in advance if you try to help me with your best solution.
With my best regards
Alessandro

* Re: System tray menu tuning & Xwin0.log in mintty console with startx
@ 2016-07-14 10:09 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-07-14 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 14/07/2016 10:01, pigreco erre wrote:
> Dear all,
> I see the address in Cygwin suggest notes
> Since I have some little question with my Cygwin in USB porting, I think that you can drive me if there are a solution.
> I use cygwin with Emacs,Vim,Gcc & R on my university exams so I am testing Cyg in USB stick.
> I would to change some parameter on lauch items in system tray menu.
> Could you suggest me where I can tune the run-parameters for example to adjust "Open XServer" lauch option(inserted in system tray menu) or change the item "Beenden" on "Cyg-exit"? (if these are permitted)

Can you please redefine the question ?
Not clear to me what you are looking for.

> The second question concern the start X server.
> When I launch it with starx script within  mintty console,
> It appears on the screen the information that the server writes into the log file Xwin.0.log
> Why when I launch the same server with startxwin it doesn't happen?

It happens.
The log is always written, you just don't see the echo.

> How can I  made to avoid this strange behaviour?
> Excuse me if I am disturbing you and I thank you again in advance if you try to help me with your best solution.
> With my best regards
> Alessandro

Regards
Marco

* Re: System tray menu tuning & Xwin0.log in mintty console with startx
@ 2016-07-29  7:33 pigreco erre
From: pigreco erre @ 2016-07-29  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello Marco and thank you for your precious answer.
I think that I understand why the Xserver log splash on the screen in mintty.
I found an explanation for this around web within a post.
It says that Mintty use pty's so "if you run say Cygwin's bash from a cmd window and then start cmd it will
not get the echoing. If, however, you start cmd from a bash shell that
is in a mintty window then you're using pty's and you'll get echoing."
Is this correct in your opinion?
With reference to your "open more than Mintty window" (Minttty within another Mintty), I saw that the echoin starts on windows that contains startx script execution.
Taking into account your suggested solution I think that you mean
to create 2 .bat Win files into the usb eigher containing:

1) E:\cygwin\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "cd; exec /usr/bin/startxwin"

2) E:\cygwin\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "cd; exec /usr/bin/startx"

I tried them and they are Ok!The only command that I don't understand is "cd;". Why do you use it?
With reference to portable version I try to go into the site but it is very difficult to find an email in wich I can suggest some items to the author.
I hope to reach and send my comments to tune the .paf file.
I thank you again very very much for your big assistance

@ 2016-07-26 14:58 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-07-26 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 25/07/2016 22:14, pigreco erre wrote:
> Hello Marco,
> Excuse me but I don't specify before that I try to use Cygwin-Portable version that I find on the web.

This explain why the menu was talking german
http://www.cybesystems.com/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&view=download&id=6:cygwinportable-1-0-paf&catid=2&Itemid=101

But you should rise the issues with the author.

Here we only support the full version
https://www.cygwin.com/

> I put it in my  pendrive. I use in various exam  the program VIM EMACS & GCC so to have a them in portable cyg version  is very confortable.
> Sorry if I forgot to add this information :-(
> However, I have essentially only one problem:
> when I run "startx" on mintty bash environment I see on the screen like a splash log file directly. Why?
> What can I erase the echoin on the screen when it execs the script "startx?"
> I don't reach to put off the stdout on the screen when I call "startx".

Don't start the X server from mintty or open more than one
Mintty windows.

> Could I solve this?
> (take into account that there is a difference with startxwin.
> When I run "startxwin",It starts without echo-splash on the screen the X-server message).
> With reference to the other question, I solve it.
> Thank you again
> Alessandro

My solution on USB disk is a link in the Cygwin root dir
with "Target"

   E:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "cd; exec
/usr/bin/startxwin"

and with "Start in"

   E:\cygwin64\bin

Regards
Marco

* Re: System tray menu tuning & Xwin0.log in mintty console with startx
@ 2016-07-25 20:14 pigreco erre
From: pigreco erre @ 2016-07-25 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2016-07-24 12:30   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-07-24 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/07/2016 22:31, pigreco erre wrote:
> Hello,
> thank you for your prompt answer.
> I write again my email in text format because I think my previous was discarded (It could be  in html format) so I hope this time it arrives at the mailing list.:-)
> With reference to the first question let me specify the steps.

Hi Alessandro,
mail in html format are rejected by the server filter.

> When I launch Cygwin it appears on the task bar (at the bottom right) a system tray icon.

what do you mean with "launch Cygwin" ? How ?

In the program menu there are two related Cygwin folder
- one named "Cygwin" with the "Cygwin Terminal" (also know as Mintty)
- one named "Cygwin-X" with the "Xwin server"

> Pushing the mouse botton, I open a menu (unfortunately I can't attached a little screenshot into my mail) and I find items like:

You can always provide a link to a image on the web, like
http://pasteboard.co/e4ebPMNc.png

> Script
> Open Bash
> Open XServer
> Beenden

I do not recognize these. Are you using a third party software ?
Or a specific X Window Manager ?

> The item "open XSever" no runs so I think it starts with wrong parameter command inserted "in background" to the choice .
> This is because on bash environment with startxwin it is all OK without problem.
> I want to tune the parameters hidden on the menu -choice.
> After I would to change the "Beenden" with "Exit-Cyg"
> Where can I find the commands hidden  in this menu-items?
> With reference to the second point my dubt:
> is there a way to erase the echoin in mintty?
> This is because when I go with startx & startxwin in "ConEmu" shell I don't see the log messages on to the screen,
> otherwise when I go within mintty, startx makes the echo & startxwin doesn't make it

I don't use ConEmu. Mintty is fine for me.

The logs of the XWin Server are available on "/var/log/xwin/" directory,
whatever method was used to start the Xwin Server.

With "doesn't make" do you mean The Xserver don't start ?
Have you tried the icon on the Windows Program Menu ?

> I hope that I reach to explain more well the my dubt than my previous email
> Could you help me?
> I thank you again for your big assistance
> Have a nice weekend
> With my best regards
> Alessandro
> --

Regards
Marco

* Re: System tray menu tuning & Xwin0.log in mintty console with startx
       [not found] <DB5PR01MB143152DBD16203860AA076CDB3330@DB5PR01MB1431.eurprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com>
@ 2016-07-18 20:31 ` pigreco erre