* cygcheck feature request: cygwin1.dll build info
@ 2016-07-18 15:46 Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-07-18 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

While examining someone’s checkcheck -rsv output, I failed to find a simple statement telling me which word size the DLL was built for.

I was able to puzzle it out based on hints in the file, such as that “cygwin32” packages means he has the 32-bit cross-compile toolchain, which means it’s a 64-bit install, but what if those packages weren’t installed?

There’s a section where cygcheck gives info about the Cygwin DLL itself.  It would be nice to see a word size declaration, or a config.guess string, or…

* Re: cygcheck feature request: cygwin1.dll build info
@ 2016-07-18 16:28 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2016-07-18 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/07/2016 17:46, Warren Young wrote:
> While examining someone’s checkcheck -rsv output, I failed to find a simple statement telling me which word size the DLL was built for.
>
> I was able to puzzle it out based on hints in the file, such as that “cygwin32” packages means he has the 32-bit cross-compile toolchain, which means it’s a 64-bit install, but what if those packages weren’t installed?
>
> There’s a section where cygcheck gives info about the Cygwin DLL itself.  It would be nice to see a word size declaration, or a config.guess string, or…
> --

For 32 bit cygwin running under 64 system
The hint is:

   Running under WOW64 on AMD64

If I am not wrong the system information has clue about 32 bit systems,
but I am not so sure as by long time I am only running 64 bit system

Regards
Marco

* Re: cygcheck feature request: cygwin1.dll build info
@ 2016-07-18 18:08   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2016-07-18 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 18, 2016, at 10:27 AM, Marco Atzeri <marco.atzeri@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 18/07/2016 17:46, Warren Young wrote:
>> While examining someone’s checkcheck -rsv output, I failed to find a simple statement telling me which word size the DLL was built for.
>
> For 32 bit cygwin running under 64 system
> The hint is:
>
>  Running under WOW64 on AMD64

…which means you’re listening for the dog that doesn’t bark when looking at cygcheck output run under 64-bit Cygwin on a 64-bit box.

That is to say, the string “Running” doesn’t appear at all in that situation.

In the end, this is just another oblique clue.  What I’m asking for is an explicit declaration.