* Cygwin / Elastica Reach
@ 2018-03-12 14:15 Ingolf Markhof
From: Ingolf Markhof @ 2018-03-12 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi!

I cannot use X for Cygwin (version 2.10.0) anymore since I recently got
Elastica Reach
installed on my Laptop running windows 10. This machine is my company
provided (and
software managed) laptop, so I don't have a lot of control over (in fact, I
don't have hardly
any control) what gets "pushed" to it.

When I now try to start X, I get these error messages:

  _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for local
  _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for local/IDE00004L155591:0
  _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for local
  (EE) Fatal server error:
  (EE) Cannot establish any listening sockets

ssh does also not work anymore. The error I get here is:

  ssh: Could not resolve <hostname>: Non-recoverable failure in name
resolution

However resolving the hostname via nslookup works fine. Moreover, if I
"encapsulate" ssh into strace, i.e.

  strace -o strace.out ssh -l <usename> <hostname>

it works fine. Doing the same for the call to XWin however has no effect, it
still doesn't work.

Any pointers for a fix/workaround?

Regards,
Ingolf

* Re: Cygwin / Elastica Reach
@ 2018-03-12 18:57 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-03-12 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ingolf Markhof writes:
> I cannot use X for Cygwin (version 2.10.0) anymore since I recently
> got Elastica Reach installed on my Laptop running windows 10.

Whatever type of snake oil that is…

> Any pointers for a fix/workaround?

Well, try to clean up the PATH in Cygwin from any Windows nonsense.
Either set CYGWIN_NOWINPATH=1 in the system or user environment and
start a fresh login shell or manually reset the PATH to just /usr/bin
for testing.

That's unlikely to work given the nature of the program that interferes,
so your next step is to get an exclusion for Cygwin from your IT folks.
It helps to have a good reason like being unable to complete productive
work your company scheduled you to do instead of just showing up with
"the computer, it don't work".

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Cygwin / Elastica Reach
@ 2018-03-12 20:28   ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-03-12 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 12/03/2018 19:55, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ingolf Markhof writes:
>> I cannot use X for Cygwin (version 2.10.0) anymore since I recently
>> got Elastica Reach installed on my Laptop running windows 10.
>
> Whatever type of snake oil that is…

https://www.linkedin.com/company/elastica/
another Symantec BLODA

* RE: Cygwin / Elastica Reach
@ 2018-03-13 16:56 Markhof, Ingolf
From: Markhof, Ingolf @ 2018-03-13 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz wrote:

> , try to clean up the PATH in Cygwin from any Windows nonsense.

I tried PATH=/usr/bin. No success. X still fails to start saying "Cannot establish any listening sockets".

Thx for the pointer anyway.

Verizon Deutschland GmbH - Sebrathweg 20, 44149 Dortmund, Germany - Amtsgericht Dortmund, HRB 14952 - Geschäftsführer: Detlef Eppig - Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Francesco de Maio