* How to search this Archive
@ 2022-10-25  7:12 Fergus Daly
From: Fergus Daly @ 2022-10-25  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'; +Cc: Fergus Daly

I know I have asked this before but because I cannot search the Archive I cannot find the query
or any responses.
One used to be able to type
site:cygwin.com "keyword1 keyword2 .."
into Google and depending on the search string(s) a slew of results appeared.
This way, one could find all the posts that one had ever originated or contributed to; or every mention
of chmod; or, with care, recover a particular thread.
Now, this approach still kind of works, but in such a restricted manner that the effort is not rewarded.
(Either Google has changed practice or pipermail is not accessible in this way - as from memory
cygwin.com/ml/ was .. .. )
I explored https://mail.python.org/pipermail/ but to no useful effect.
Is there a way to explore the entire archive back to 1997? I cannot find any hints at
https://cygwin.com/mailman/listinfo/cygwin
Thank you.

* Re: How to search this Archive
@ 2022-10-25 18:19 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2022-10-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 07:12:21AM +0000, Fergus Daly wrote:
> I know I have asked this before but because I cannot search the Archive I cannot find the query
> or any responses.
> One used to be able to type
> site:cygwin.com "keyword1 keyword2 .."
> into Google and depending on the search string(s) a slew of results appeared.
> This way, one could find all the posts that one had ever originated or contributed to; or every mention
> of chmod; or, with care, recover a particular thread.
> Now, this approach still kind of works, but in such a restricted manner that the effort is not rewarded.
> (Either Google has changed practice or pipermail is not accessible in this way - as from memory
> cygwin.com/ml/ was .. .. )
> I explored https://mail.python.org/pipermail/ but to no useful effect.
> Is there a way to explore the entire archive back to 1997? I cannot find any hints at
> https://cygwin.com/mailman/listinfo/cygwin
> Thank you.

You could try https://inbox.sourceware.org/cygwin/ -- I assume that's at
least semi-official, given it's hosted by sourceware.org, and it has a
search function and archives that seem to go back at least as far as
1997.

That'll also let you access the archives in a variety of other ways
(IMAP, Git, ...) so you can set up your own search tools, should you be
so minded.  (Use OfflineIMAP to clone the archives to a spare Gmail
account, then use Gmail's search tools, perhaps?)

Otherwise, you can browse the archive at
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/.  I'm not sure how you got to the
python.org site, but I don't think that'll ever get you very far!

* Re: How to search this Archive
@ 2022-10-27 16:31 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-10-27 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Brian.Inglis, fergusd84

On Tue, 25 Oct 2022 07:12:21 +0000, Fergus Daly wrote:
> I know I have asked this before but because I cannot search the Archive I cannot find the query
> or any responses.
> One used to be able to type
> site:cygwin.com "keyword1 keyword2 .."
> into Google and depending on the search string(s) a slew of results appeared.
> This way, one could find all the posts that one had ever originated or contributed to; or every mention
> of chmod; or, with care, recover a particular thread.
> Now, this approach still kind of works, but in such a restricted manner that the effort is not rewarded.
> (Either Google has changed practice or pipermail is not accessible in this way - as from memory
> cygwin.com/ml/ was .. .. )

Some sites e.g. cygwin...cygwin.narkive.com (4 years old) failed to update feeds
when the archives changed.

> I explored https://mail.python.org/pipermail/ but to no useful effect.
> Is there a way to explore the entire archive back to 1997? I cannot find any hints at
> https://cygwin.com/mailman/listinfo/cygwin

Web interfaces tend to offer better:

	https://inbox.sourceware.org/cygwin.../
	https://inbox.sourceware.org/cygwin/_/text/help/

	https://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin...@cygwin.com/
	https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=cygwin%40cygwin.com&a=1

	https://marc.info/?l=cygwin...

and others out there. Not all services support all Cygwin or Sourceware lists.

Sourceware Public Inbox and Mail-Archive both offer Atom/RSS feeds, which I view
with Foxish Live RSS feed reader extension live bookmarks under Chromium, and
message Reply links which I use (like here).

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry