* Re: Starting a xterm window
@ 2017-06-09 10:14 Ugly Leper
From: Ugly Leper @ 2017-06-09 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> /usr/bin/xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
>> /usr/bin/xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Thanks for all suggestions. Both the following fragments seem to work
flawlessly. Both incorporate a waiting time for XWin to gain traction
before xterm is called:

1. Starting a xterm console from a .cmd file in a Windows Command
Prompt box: include the lines

bin\run bin\XWin -clipboard -nolock -multiwindow 2>nul
timeout 2 > nul 2> nul
bin\xterm -display :0.0

2. Starting a xterm console from a script in a bash (or mintty) shell:
include the lines

run XWin -clipboard -nolock -multiwindow 2>/dev/null &
sleep 2
/bin/xterm -display :0.0

You can vary the pause e.g. timeout 3 or sleep 4. Maybe as brief a
fuse as timeout 1 or sleep 1 will be adequate; but that would make me
nervy about getting the same failure as in >> at the top of this post.

* Starting a xterm window
@ 2017-06-07 15:18 Ugly Leper
From: Ugly Leper @ 2017-06-07 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Just getting a problem: this used to work but has stopped!
From within bash I can type

$ run XWin -clipboard -nolock -multiwindow 2>/dev/null &
$ /bin/xterm -display :0.0

and I am in a xterm window. Good; as intended.

If I want to enter xterm straight from a Windows command prompt I try

G:\> bin\run bin\XWin -clipboard -nolock -multiwindow 2>nul &
G:\> bin\xterm -display :0.0

but line 2 gives

/usr/bin/xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
/usr/bin/xterm: DISPLAY is not set

Any ideas? (This used to work, it really did ...)