* Files with attribute temporary invisible in cygwin
@ 2018-03-09  9:27 Pavel Kudrna
From: Pavel Kudrna @ 2018-03-09  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

There exist files in windows 7 which can't be deleted using cygwin "rm"
command. Files are visible from windows command line or Windows Explorer
but are invisible by "ls -lA" command:

$   ls -lA `cygpath 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings'`
total 16
-rwxrwx---+ 1 Administrators SYSTEM 1016 Aug 23  2017
telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json.bk
-rwxrwx---+ 1 Administrators SYSTEM  795 Aug 23  2017 utc.app.json.bk

Dir command from cmd.exe shows that there are 2 more files (with
extension .json) previously invisible:

c:\>  dir C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings /b
telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json.bk
utc.app.json
utc.app.json.bk

It seems to be connected with the temporary attribute which both 2
mentioned files have set:

c:\>  for %i in
(C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\*) do @echo %~ai %i
--a----t-
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json
--a------
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json.bk
--a----t- c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\utc.app.json
--a------
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\utc.app.json.bk

Together with above mentioned 2 files

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\utc.app.json
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\DownloadedSettings\telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json

I have found three more files in Windows 7

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\OfficeFileCache\LocalCacheFileEditManager\FSD-CNRY.FSD

with the same behavior (invisible by ls, undeletable by rm but visible
from windows) and all have the temporary attribute set.

Files are invisible/undeletable with ls/rm even from WindowsPE which
does not run from C: disk and can not keep those files open.

Pavel Kudrna

* Re: Files with attribute temporary invisible in cygwin
@ 2018-03-09  9:40 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-03-09  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar  9 00:43, Pavel Kudrna wrote:
> There exist files in windows 7 which can't be deleted using cygwin "rm"
> command. Files are visible from windows command line or Windows Explorer but
> are invisible by "ls -lA" command:

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Files with attribute temporary invisible in cygwin
@ 2018-03-09 15:23   ` Pavel Kudrna
From: Pavel Kudrna @ 2018-03-09 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/3/2018 10:26, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar  9 00:43, Pavel Kudrna wrote:
>> There exist files in windows 7 which can't be deleted using cygwin "rm"
>> command. Files are visible from windows command line or Windows Explorer but
>> are invisible by "ls -lA" command:
>
> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-02/msg00162.html
>
> Corinna

Thanks.

With the snapshot 2018-02-14 files with temporary attribute are visible
and deletable.

But still I have directories undeletable using "rm -R" which contain
files with both hidden and temporary attributes set.

@ 2018-03-09 20:29     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-03-09 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar  9 14:56, Pavel Kudrna wrote:
> On 9/3/2018 10:26, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > On Mar  9 00:43, Pavel Kudrna wrote:
> > > There exist files in windows 7 which can't be deleted using cygwin "rm"
> > > command. Files are visible from windows command line or Windows Explorer but
> > > are invisible by "ls -lA" command:
> >
> > https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-02/msg00162.html
> >
> > Corinna
>
> Thanks.
>
> With the snapshot 2018-02-14 files with temporary attribute are visible and
> deletable.
>
> But still I have directories undeletable using "rm -R" which contain files
> with both hidden and temporary attributes set.

Duh.  I *knew* I had to remove this "hiding O_TMPFILE files from
readdir" at one point.  No wonder I wrote a matching comment right from
the start.

Of course this can't work with rm -r.  Given rm doesn't see this file it
never unlinks it, so the parent dir can't be removed.

I add this to my List Of Really Bad Ideas.

Still, what files have both attributes set?  What application is
creating these files?  Apart from Cygwin, of course, but Cygwin
O_TMPFILE files are delete-on-close.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Files with attribute temporary invisible in cygwin
@ 2018-03-09 22:39       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2018-03-09 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar  9 21:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar  9 14:56, Pavel Kudrna wrote:
> > >
> > > https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2018-02/msg00162.html
> > >
> > > Corinna
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > With the snapshot 2018-02-14 files with temporary attribute are visible and
> > deletable.
> >
> > But still I have directories undeletable using "rm -R" which contain files
> > with both hidden and temporary attributes set.
>
> Duh.  I *knew* I had to remove this "hiding O_TMPFILE files from
> readdir" at one point.  No wonder I wrote a matching comment right from
> the start.
>
> Of course this can't work with rm -r.  Given rm doesn't see this file it
> never unlinks it, so the parent dir can't be removed.
>
> I add this to my List Of Really Bad Ideas.
>
> Still, what files have both attributes set?  What application is
> creating these files?  Apart from Cygwin, of course, but Cygwin
> O_TMPFILE files are delete-on-close.

New snapshot up at https://cygwin.com/snapshots/

Please give it a try.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Files with attribute temporary invisible in cygwin
@ 2018-03-12 13:21         ` Pavel Kudrna
From: Pavel Kudrna @ 2018-03-12 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 9/3/2018 21:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Mar  9 21:04, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>>> With the snapshot 2018-02-14 files with temporary attribute are visible and
>>> deletable.
>>>
>>> But still I have directories undeletable using "rm -R" which contain files
>>> with both hidden and temporary attributes set.
>>
>> Duh.  I *knew* I had to remove this "hiding O_TMPFILE files from
>> readdir" at one point.  No wonder I wrote a matching comment right from
>> the start.
>>
>> Of course this can't work with rm -r.  Given rm doesn't see this file it
>> never unlinks it, so the parent dir can't be removed.

Clear.

>> I add this to my List Of Really Bad Ideas.
>>
>> Still, what files have both attributes set?  What application is
>> creating these files?  Apart from Cygwin, of course, but Cygwin
>> O_TMPFILE files are delete-on-close.

Files with both hidden and temporary attributes on belong to LabView
2015. I found 2 in "C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\NI-DAQmx"
{509E1DB5-B477-49b8-AF59-114DC801074C}RrWr.lock
{509E1DB5-B477-49b8-AF59-114DC801074C}Write.lock
and 3 in
"C:\ProgramData\National Instruments\Shared
Memory\platform\memory\sharedMemoryFiles"
48d09ae7-0894-4c28-ab25-b6f1cdea221f
pimmInternalFloatingSharedHeap
pimmPublicFloatingSharedHeap.

> New snapshot up at https://cygwin.com/snapshots

With the snapshot 2018-03-09 all mentioned files are visible by "ls" and
"rm -r" removes directories with them (I do it offline after reboot to
Windows PE).

Thank you.

With greetings
Pavel Kudrna