* Re: telnet problems with current cygwin version
@ 2000-06-14 17:40 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2000-06-14 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Emuller, Cygwin

Can someone point me to where all of this is documented?

Thanks,
Noel

corinna@vinschen.de on 2000.06.14 16:55:39

Please respond to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

To:   emuller@painewebber.com
cc:   cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com (bcc: Noel L Yap)
Subject:  Re: telnet problems with current cygwin version

Edward Muller wrote:

> I downloaded and installed the current cygwin version last night.
>
> I mounted all of my dirs and the mount looks like this:
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> c:\cygwin\bin       /bin                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\etc       /etc                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\lib       /lib                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\tmp       /tmp                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\usr       /usr                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\var       /var                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode
>
> I installed inetd with the --install-as-service option and everything looked
like it was going to rok okay, until I tried telneting to localhost. I am able
to ftp fine BTW. I noticed that whenever I tried to telnet to localhost
in.telnetd would startup in the task list, then die. So I stopped inetd and ran
the following:
> bash-2.04$ ./in.telnetd -debug
>
> When I try to telnet to the telnet deamon, the above command exists with the
following error:
>       0 [main] in.telnetd 1058 handle_exceptions: Exception:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>    3600 [main] in.telnetd 1058 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to
in.telnetd.exe.stackdump

> I'm running windows 2K professional.
>
> Anyone know what I missed?

Did you install the `login' package, too?
Did you create your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files with
the provided tools `mkpasswd' and `mkgroup'?
Did you take a look into that files if anything is as
needs it (home path, shell)?

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

* RE: telnet problems with current cygwin version
@ 2000-06-15 10:20 Edward Muller
From: Edward Muller @ 2000-06-15 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'

Thank You all for you help so far.

This is what my current mount points looks like:
 Device              Directory           Type         Flags
c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            system       binmode
c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            system       binmode
c:\cygwin           /                   system       binmode

And I still have the same problem. When I try to telnet to localhost I get a 'Connection to host lost'. When I stop inetd and run in.telnetd -debug, then telnet to localhost I get the following out put (plus a stackdump).

      0 [main] in.telnetd 1000 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
  11555 [main] in.telnetd 1000 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to in.telnetd.exe.stackdump

So I'm still lost....Any other suggestions? I've also tried this with all mount being textmode mounts with the same results.

From: Peter Ring @ 2000-06-15  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Edward Muller', 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com'
  Cc: 'Cygwin (E-mail)'

I had a similar problem with inetd changing mount points. You may have
some leftovers from a previous installtion of cygwin; see
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin/2000-05/msg00844.html .

BTW, I'm also a bit perplexed about /bin vs. /usr/bin ... There's a
discussion about it starting at about this message
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2000-02/msg00132.html
(on the cygwin-developers list). I've read most of what I could find
about the 'FS layout', but I didn't get any wiser. So I continue to use
identity mounts,

Device              Directory           Type         Flags
I:                  /                   system       binmode
C:                  /c                  system       binmode
D:                  /d                  system       binmode

and I install distribution tarballs by untar'ing myself. Works OK for
me.

kind regards
Peter Ring

Does this seem right? why does starting inetd reset mount points?

C:\>mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
c:\cygwin\etc       /etc                user         textmode
c:\cygwin\tmp       /tmp                user         textmode
c:\cygwin\usr       /usr                user         textmode
c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         textmode
c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         textmode
c:\cygwin\var       /var                user         textmode
c:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode

C:\>net start inetd
The CYGWIN inetd service is starting.
The CYGWIN inetd service was started successfully.

C:\>mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> I downloaded and installed the current cygwin version last night.
>
> I mounted all of my dirs and the mount looks like this:
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> c:\cygwin\bin       /bin                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\etc       /etc                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\lib       /lib                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\tmp       /tmp                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\usr       /usr                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\var       /var                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode

Tsk, tsk, tsk.  All of that work for not.  Based on what you currently
have
your mount table should be:

c:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode
c:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         textmode
c:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         textmode

Regards,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: telnet problems with current cygwin version
@ 2000-06-15  1:11   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-06-15  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Edward Muller, Cygwin (E-mail)

@ 2000-06-14 19:53 ` Terry Lincoln
From: Terry Lincoln @ 2000-06-14 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Muller, earnie_boyd; +Cc: Cygwin (E-mail)

Ed,

From the looks of your mount output all of your moints are user mode
mounts.  This means, IIRC that these mounts are only available when
your user hive is loaded.  When mount -s is used they are recorded
in the machine registry and are always available.

You should either switch the the user account you are running inetd
as and then mount your drives, or if using LocalSystem mount them
with the -s (system) option.

That should work better...

Beyond that I can't guess.

W. Terry Lincoln [ICQ# 39362285]
Senior Consultant [Linux Registered User #99583]
Ciber corporation < http://www.ciber.com >
< mailto:WTerryLincoln@engineer.com >
< mailto:lincoln2@rochester.rr.com >
< http://www.geocities.com/terry_lincoln >
< http://www.angelfire.com/ny/TerryLincoln >

From: Edward Muller @ 2000-06-14 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com', Edward Muller; +Cc: Cygwin (E-mail)

@ 2000-06-14 17:41 Edward Muller
From: Edward Muller @ 2000-06-14 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'David Bolen'; +Cc: Cygwin (E-mail)

Nope LocalSystem

From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-14 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Muller; +Cc: Cygwin (E-mail)

@ 2000-06-14 17:17 Edward Muller
From: Edward Muller @ 2000-06-14 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'earnie_boyd@yahoo.com'; +Cc: Cygwin (E-mail)

@ 2000-06-14 17:15 David Bolen
From: David Bolen @ 2000-06-14 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Edward Muller'; +Cc: Cygwin (E-mail)

@ 2000-06-14 17:08 Edward Muller

@ 2000-06-14 15:07 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-06-14 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Muller, Cygwin (E-mail)

@ 2000-06-14 14:59 Edward Muller
From: Edward Muller @ 2000-06-14 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'

I installed the entire sygwin package from the net.
I created the passwd and group files with the mk programs.
Everything LOOKS okay in the group and passwd files with the exception of a proper home path. I added it and got the same results. I attacked the stackdump to this email as well.

> I downloaded and installed the current cygwin version last night.
>
> I mounted all of my dirs and the mount looks like this:
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> c:\cygwin\bin       /bin                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\etc       /etc                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\lib       /lib                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\tmp       /tmp                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\usr       /usr                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin\var       /var                user         textmode
> c:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode
>
> I installed inetd with the --install-as-service option and everything looked like it was going to rok okay, until I tried telneting to localhost. I am able to ftp fine BTW. I noticed that whenever I tried to telnet to localhost in.telnetd would startup in the task list, then die. So I stopped inetd and ran the following:
> bash-2.04$ ./in.telnetd -debug
>
> When I try to telnet to the telnet deamon, the above command exists with the following error:
>       0 [main] in.telnetd 1058 handle_exceptions: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
>    3600 [main] in.telnetd 1058 stackdump: Dumping stack trace to in.telnetd.exe.stackdump
>
> I'm running windows 2K professional.
>
> Anyone know what I missed?

Did you install the `login' package, too?
Did you create your /etc/passwd and /etc/group files with
the provided tools `mkpasswd' and `mkgroup'?
Did you take a look into that files if anything is as
needs it (home path, shell)?

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Developer
Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company

[-- Attachment #2: in.telnetd.exe.stackdump --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 851 bytes --]

Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION at eip=61005999
eax=0040E184 ebx=00000000 ecx=00000004 edx=00401DEC esi=00000004 edi=00401DE8
ebp=0241FCB8 esp=0241FCA0 program=C:\cygwin\usr\sbin\in.telnetd.exe
cs=001B ds=0023 es=0023 fs=003B gs=0000 ss=0023
Stack trace:
Frame     Function  Args
0241FCB8  61005A74  (00401DE8, 0241FCF4, 00000000, 00000000)
0241FCF8  61005A74  (00401DE8, 0040E090, 00000001, 00401F20)
0241FE48  00401F45  (0241FE98, 00000005, 00000018, 00401191)
0241FEA8  00401734  (00000002, 0A041310, 0A040008, 00000000)
0241FF14  61002385  (7FFDF000, 0012F88F, FFFFFFFF, 8046A640)
0241FF74  610027D5  (0040E190, 00000000, 0241FFA4, 0040BF22)
0241FFA4  0040BF2F  (00401180, 80430E2B, 77E87900, FFFFFFFE)
0241FFC0  00401038  (FFFFFFFF, 0012F88F, 7FFDF000, 77F89898)
0241FFF0  77E87903  (00401000, 00000000, 000000C8, 00000100)
End of stack trace

* Re: telnet problems with current cygwin version
@ 2000-06-14 13:55 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2000-06-14 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Edward Muller; +Cc: Cygwin (E-mail)

@ 2000-06-14 12:26 Edward Muller
From: Edward Muller @ 2000-06-14 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin (E-mail)

[...]

Edward Muller
Divisional Assistant Vice President - PaineWebber Inc. - Firmwide Architecture
1000 Harbor Blvd. - 5th Floor - Weehawken, NJ 07087
201-352-0190 - 201-272-7002 (Fax) - 201-237-1562 (Pager) - mailto: emuller@painewebber.com