* Re: SSH2 Server for Windows ?
@ 2000-06-15 15:42 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2000-06-15 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yap_noel; +Cc: Cygwin

Actually, is it possible to have two copies (one for the ssh executables and one
for other executables) of cygwin1.dll in memory?

Thanks,
Noel

yap_noel@jpmorgan.com on 06/15/2000 05:06:09 PM

To:   cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
cc:   (bcc: Noel L Yap)
Subject:  Re: SSH2 Server for Windows ?

I'm confused then.  What is libcygwin.a?  I'd at least feel more at ease if I
knew /why/ the cygwin1.dll dependency can't be removed and what the difference
between libcygwin.a and cygwin1.dll (besides static vs dynamic) are.

Thanks,
Noel

cgf@cygnus.com on 06/15/2000 05:00:14 PM

Please respond to cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

To:   Cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com
cc:   (bcc: Noel L Yap)

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 04:53:13PM -0400, Noel L Yap wrote:
>Making the changes in "configure" was enough to get sshd2 working!
>
>Now, I've tried building the executables with "-lcygwin" as part of my
>link command, but it still requires cygwin1.dll along the path.  Does
>anyone know how I can get rid of shh's dependency on cygwin1.dll (and
>all other shared libraries)?

There is no way to get rid of the cygwin DLL dependency and it's
extremely unlikely that you'll be able to eliminate the need for the
Windows DLLs.

cgf

do not necessarily reflect those of J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated, its
subsidiaries and affiliates.

@ 2000-06-15 14:19 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-15 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 05:06:09PM -0400, Noel L Yap wrote:
>I'm confused then.  What is libcygwin.a?  I'd at least feel more at
>ease if I knew /why/ the cygwin1.dll dependency can't be removed and
>what the difference between libcygwin.a and cygwin1.dll (besides static
>vs dynamic) are.

libcygwin.a is a standard import library used to provide references for
linking in a DLL.  If this is still confusing I'm sure someone will
respond with references to tutorials on the subject.

There is no facility for loading cygwin statically because it has never
been developed.  It is not technically infeasible but it isn't easy
either.

cgf

* Re: SSH2 Server for Windows ?
@ 2000-06-15 14:06 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2000-06-15 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To:   Cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

@ 2000-06-15 14:00 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-06-15 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

@ 2000-06-15 13:54 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2000-06-15 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlin; +Cc: Asosin, Ssh, Cygwin

Making the changes in "configure" was enough to get sshd2 working!

Now, I've tried building the executables with "-lcygwin" as part of my link
command, but it still requires cygwin1.dll along the path.  Does anyone know how
I can get rid of shh's dependency on cygwin1.dll (and all other shared
libraries)?

Thanks,
Noel

jlin@efxnet.com on 06/15/2000 02:37:44 PM

To:   yap_noel@jpmorgan.com, asosin@eecg.toronto.edu
cc:   Ssh@clinet.fi, cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com

did you try using sshd from http://www.lexa.ru:8101/sos/  ?? who is also
compiled sshd using cygwin for nt?

Joe Lin
Network Engineer
916.933.5412 x304
Electronic Freight Exchange, Corp.

From: Noel L Yap @ 2000-06-15 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jlin; +Cc: Asosin, Ssh, Cygwin

I'm looking through Sergey's diff.  I notice that he's changed configure (by
removing a particular test) so that SSH uses the function definitions in
pty-ptmx.c.  I'm wondering if it's advisable, instead of removing the "test -c
/dev/pts/0", to "ln -s /dev/ptmx /dev/pts/0"?  It would certainly make the test
pass, but I don't know what other ramifications it may have.

To:   yap_noel@jpmorgan.com, asosin@eecg.toronto.edu

To:   ssh@clinet.fi

@ 2000-06-15 11:37 Joe Lin
From: Joe Lin @ 2000-06-15 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Noel L Yap', asosin; +Cc: Ssh, cygwin

To:   ssh@clinet.fi

@ 2000-06-14  6:14 Noel L Yap
From: Noel L Yap @ 2000-06-14  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asosin; +Cc: Ssh, cygwin

I've been able to use cygwin to build and run sshd2 (ie sshd-2.1.0 -- I'll try
sshd-2.1.1 today) (although it may not be that secure since it uses the cygwin
dll -- I'll see if I can statically link in cygwin later on).  I'm able to ssh2
to the NT box and execute a command (eg "ssh2 nt-box pwd"), but I'm not able to

To:   ssh@clinet.fi