* Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-06 20:13 Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-03-06 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Here's what I do:
 - Start cygwin XLaunch for the Windows 10 desktop
   - Select "Multiple windows"
   - Launch the lxterminal locally
 - In an lxterminal tab do the command
    ssh -Y myhost.mydomain.lan
 - In the ssh session give the command
    ~/eclipse/java-oxygen/eclipse/eclipse

What happens is that:
 1. First the banner starts and displays normally
 2. Then a window shows up squashed to a point, there is an eclipse icon
    (possibly intended for the toolbar) near the point, but it can't be
    selected
 3. It's not possible to stretch or resize the point
 4. I tried pressing the return to select the default in the workspace
    select dialog (which is the first dialog to open when eclipse is
    started normally)

I think the problem is with cygwin X and/or the way I'm running it,
because I have tried doing "ssh -Y " from a terminal window on the
debian computer's mate desktop to a different computer, and then doing a
new "ssh -Y" from the remote computer and back to the debian and then
started eclipse on the debian computer.  And that eclipse started
normally, running through two ssh X forwards.

Does anyone know what might be causing the eclipse display problem, and
what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

- Steinar

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-07 14:40 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2018-03-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/03/2018 17:58, Steinar Bang wrote:
> Here's what I do:
>   - Start cygwin XLaunch for the Windows 10 desktop
>     - Select "Multiple windows"
>     - Launch the lxterminal locally
>   - In an lxterminal tab do the command
>      ssh -Y myhost.mydomain.lan
>   - In the ssh session give the command
>      ~/eclipse/java-oxygen/eclipse/eclipse
>
> What happens is that:
>   1. First the banner starts and displays normally
>   2. Then a window shows up squashed to a point, there is an eclipse icon
>      (possibly intended for the toolbar) near the point, but it can't be
>      selected
>   3. It's not possible to stretch or resize the point
>   4. I tried pressing the return to select the default in the workspace
>      select dialog (which is the first dialog to open when eclipse is
>      started normally)
>
> I think the problem is with cygwin X and/or the way I'm running it,
> because I have tried doing "ssh -Y " from a terminal window on the
> debian computer's mate desktop to a different computer, and then doing a
> new "ssh -Y" from the remote computer and back to the debian and then
> started eclipse on the debian computer.  And that eclipse started
> normally, running through two ssh X forwards.
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing the eclipse display problem, and
> what I can do to fix it?

This seems like a problem with the integrated WM not doing what is
expected, Java programs do seem to be problematic in this regard.  So,
you can probably work around this by running the Cygwin X server in
windowed, rather than multiwindow mode.

I tried to reproduce this, but eclipse worked ok for me.

Can you tell me the versions of Xwin, debian and eclipse you are using?

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-07 18:00   ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-03-07 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> This seems like a problem with the integrated WM not doing what is
> expected, Java programs do seem to be problematic in this regard.  So,
> you can probably work around this by running the Cygwin X server in
> windowed, rather than multiwindow mode.

I've thought about trying it but it's not really the behaviour I want.

> I tried to reproduce this, but eclipse worked ok for me.

> Can you tell me the versions of Xwin, debian and eclipse you are using?

"uname -r" in cygwin reports:
 2.9.0(0.318/5/3)

sb@mccoy:~$ cygcheck -c | grep xorg
xorg-server               1.19.6-1                OK
xorg-server-common        1.19.6-1                OK
xorg-x11-fonts-dpi75      7.5-3                   OK
xorg-x11-fonts-misc       7.5-3                   OK
sb@mccoy:~$

The debian version is 9.3.

The eclipse version is eclipse oxygen, installed with the eclipse
installer from
 https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/

I got the same squashed up window from eclipse-neon installed in the
same way.

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-08 16:34     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2018-03-08 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 07/03/2018 17:40, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> This seems like a problem with the integrated WM not doing what is
>> expected, Java programs do seem to be problematic in this regard.  So,
>> you can probably work around this by running the Cygwin X server in
>> windowed, rather than multiwindow mode.
>
> I've thought about trying it but it's not really the behaviour I want.

It might also be worth trying adding the '-extension RANDR' option to
the X server, to disable RANDR.

>> I tried to reproduce this, but eclipse worked ok for me.
>
>> Can you tell me the versions of Xwin, debian and eclipse you are using?
>
> "uname -r" in cygwin reports:
>   2.9.0(0.318/5/3)
>
> sb@mccoy:~$ cygcheck -c | grep xorg
> xorg-server               1.19.6-1                OK
> xorg-server-common        1.19.6-1                OK
> xorg-x11-fonts-dpi75      7.5-3                   OK
> xorg-x11-fonts-misc       7.5-3                   OK
> sb@mccoy:~$
>
> The debian version is 9.3.
>
> The eclipse version is eclipse oxygen, installed with the eclipse
> installer from
>   https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/

Thanks.

Well, with those details, I was able to reproduce some weird behaviour
(not working menus, oddly placed windows), although not exactly what you
see.

You didn't mention if any warnings are written by eclipse to the terminal?

That seems to be related to certain versions of GTK+ getting confused by
the RANDR data provided by XWin and ending up believing the display is
0x0 pixels in size.

I've built a snapshot with some potential fixes. Perhaps you could try
that and see if it improves things for you?

ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20180308-git-3ca71c7f563c3e91.exe.bz2

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-08 19:15       ` Steinar Bang
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-03-08 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> It might also be worth trying adding the '-extension RANDR' option to
> the X server, to disable RANDR.

Thanks! I will try this, before I try the new version.

[snip!]
> Well, with those details, I was able to reproduce some weird behaviour
> (not working menus, oddly placed windows), although not exactly what
> you see.

> You didn't mention if any warnings are written by eclipse to the terminal?

There's only one message but it doesn't look relevant to this:
 sb@lorenzo:~$ ~/eclipse/java-oxygen/eclipse/eclipse
 org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized.  Will retry after the state location is initialized.

(emacs outputs a heap of GTk messages, though. But it comes up normally,
so that probably isn't relevant)

> That seems to be related to certain versions of GTK+ getting confused
> by the RANDR data provided by XWin and ending up believing the display
> is 0x0 pixels in size.

> I've built a snapshot with some potential fixes. Perhaps you could try
> that and see if it improves things for you?

> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20180308-git-3ca71c7f563c3e91.exe.bz2

Ok I will try this and see how it works out.  I will report back both
the results of both this version and the "-extension RANDR".

Thanks again!

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-08 19:48         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2018-03-08 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-03-08 12:03, Steinar Bang wrote:

>> It might also be worth trying adding the '-extension RANDR' option to
>> the X server, to disable RANDR.
>
> Thanks! I will try this, before I try the new version.
>
> [snip!]
>> Well, with those details, I was able to reproduce some weird behaviour
>> (not working menus, oddly placed windows), although not exactly what
>> you see.
>
>> You didn't mention if any warnings are written by eclipse to the terminal?
>
> There's only one message but it doesn't look relevant to this:
>  sb@lorenzo:~$ ~/eclipse/java-oxygen/eclipse/eclipse
>  org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized.  Will retry after the state location is initialized.
>
> (emacs outputs a heap of GTk messages, though. But it comes up normally,
> so that probably isn't relevant)
>
>> That seems to be related to certain versions of GTK+ getting confused
>> by the RANDR data provided by XWin and ending up believing the display
>> is 0x0 pixels in size.
>
>> I've built a snapshot with some potential fixes. Perhaps you could try
>> that and see if it improves things for you?
>
>> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20180308-git-3ca71c7f563c3e91.exe.bz2
>
> Ok I will try this and see how it works out.  I will report back both
> the results of both this version and the "-extension RANDR".

Have you tried explicitly specifying -geometry compatible with the target
display, to see if that works?

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-08 20:16         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-03-08 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> It might also be worth trying adding the '-extension RANDR' option to
>> the X server, to disable RANDR.

> Thanks! I will try this, before I try the new version.

I added "-extension RANDR" to "Additional parameters for X server" in
the "Extra settings" window of the XLaunch wizard, and then eclipse
oxygen started fine.

However, this time I got a lot of GTk warnings.  Perhaps it didn't get
far enough, previously...?  It didn't start outputting anything until
after I had selected a workspace in the initial workspace selection
dialog.

The output from starting eclipse:
 sb@lorenzo:~$ ~/eclipse/java-oxygen/eclipse/eclipse
 org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: The org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration bundle was activated before the state location was initialized.  Will retry after the state location is initialized.
 org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: Logback config file: /home/sb/workspaces/ws02/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration/logback.1.8.2.20171007-0217.xml
 SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
 SLF4J: Found binding in [bundleresource://496.fwk2108318195:1/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
 SLF4J: Found binding in [bundleresource://496.fwk2108318195:2/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
 SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
 SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [ch.qos.logback.classic.util.ContextSelectorStaticBinder]
 org.eclipse.m2e.logback.configuration: Initializing logback

 (Eclipse:22561): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkBox 0x7f1c3020d1b0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

 (Eclipse:22561): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkBox 0x7f1c3020d1b0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

 (Eclipse:22561): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to GtkBox 0x7f1c3020d1b0 without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height(). How does the code know the size to allocate?

 (Eclipse:22561): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node trough, owner GtkProgressBar)

 (Eclipse:22561): Gtk-WARNING **: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node trough, owner GtkProgressBar)
 sb@lorenzo:~$

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-08 20:22         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-03-08 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>> I've built a snapshot with some potential fixes. Perhaps you could try
>> that and see if it improves things for you?

>> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20180308-git-3ca71c7f563c3e91.exe.bz2

> Ok I will try this and see how it works out.  I will report back both
> the results of both this version and the "-extension RANDR".

I have downloaded it and bunzip2'd it and started it from the command
line, and it started and displayed a big black window.

But I'm unsure how to start it in the same way as XLaunch starts and how
to fire up lxterminal locally...?

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-08 20:25           ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-03-08 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Have you tried explicitly specifying -geometry compatible with the target
> display, to see if that works?

The documentation for the eclipse executable doesn't list the typical
X11 arguments, and when I tried -geometry it didn't seem to have any
effect.

Thanks!

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-09 18:03           ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2018-03-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/03/2018 20:16, Steinar Bang wrote:

>>> I've built a snapshot with some potential fixes. Perhaps you could try
>>> that and see if it improves things for you?
>
>>> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20180308-git-3ca71c7f563c3e91.exe.bz2
>
>> Ok I will try this and see how it works out.  I will report back both
>> the results of both this version and the "-extension RANDR".
>
> I have downloaded it and bunzip2'd it and started it from the command
> line, and it started and displayed a big black window.
>
> But I'm unsure how to start it in the same way as XLaunch starts and how
> to fire up lxterminal locally...?

Probably the simplest way is to replace your existing /usr/bin/XWin.exe
with it (after making a copy of the original so you can put it back
afterwards)

I discovered that there is some RANDR state which doesn't always get
initialized correctly, so also just running 'xrandr' might be a
workaround (which was confusing me greatly when testing things :))

I built another snapshot which fixes that, which you might also like to try.

ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20180309-git-42c162c6c1f98253.exe.bz2

* Re: Eclipse running on debian with remote display to cygwin X11 starts all squashed to a point
@ 2018-03-09 20:04             ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2018-03-09 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Probably the simplest way is to replace your existing
> /usr/bin/XWin.exe with it (after making a copy of the original so you
> can put it back afterwards)

The XWin.20180308-git-3ca71c7f563c3e91.exe file did not work
unfortunately:
 - With no extra argument eclipse showed up squashed
 - With "-extension XRANDR" (my mistake, working for memory), nothing
   worked (I didn't try again with the right argument)

> I discovered that there is some RANDR state which doesn't always get
> initialized correctly, so also just running 'xrandr' might be a
> workaround (which was confusing me greatly when testing things :))

> I built another snapshot which fixes that, which you might also like to try.

> ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwinx/x86_64/XWin.20180309-git-42c162c6c1f98253.exe.bz2

With this XWin.exe eclipse showed up without requiring any extra
arguments.

Thanks for fixing this! :-)