* Fatal errors when compiling x264 from source while Avisynth is enabled
@ 2019-03-05  2:05 Hashim Aziz
From: Hashim Aziz @ 2019-03-05  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm trying to follow the FFmpeg wiki's guide here to build FFmpeg from source with the most superior codecs it can make use of, like libfdk-aac and libopus:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu

I've sorted many of the dependencies to get it to work on Cygwin, and thankfully I didn't need to build most of the packages in that guide from source because they were included in the Cygwin repository, but there are 2 or 3 that are not, including x264 and x265.

So I'm now trying to build x624 from source with the following command:

cd /ffmpeg_sources && git -C x264 pull 2> /dev/null || git clone --depth 1 https://git.videolan.org/git/x264 && cd x264 && PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH" PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/ffmpeg_build/lib/pkgconfig" ./configure --prefix="/ffmpeg_build" --bindir="/usr/local/bin" --enable-static --enable-pic && PATH="usr/local/bin:$PATH" make -j4 && make install

But at the configure stage of this command, I get a few errors and lots of warnings, but the final  error is this one:

[Makefile:272: input/avs.o] Error 1

I believe this is a Cygwin error based on the fact that the error immediately before the one above is the HMODULE error here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45181102/ffmpeg-on-cygwin-failed-to-compile-libx264-error-unknown-type-name-hmodule

And in that question the OP and another answer are trying to follow the very same guide while using Cygwin on the same 64-bit Windows 7.

What's the problem here and how can I solve it? The errors go away and the compilation works when I include --disable-avs, but I don't want the version of FFmpeg that I build to come without AVS/Avisynth support.

Thank you in advance.

* Re: Fatal errors when compiling x264 from source while Avisynth is enabled
@ 2019-03-05  3:16 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-03-05  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-03-04 19:05, Hashim Aziz wrote:
> I'm trying to follow the FFmpeg wiki's guide here to build FFmpeg from source with the most superior codecs it can make use of, like libfdk-aac and libopus:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu
> I've sorted many of the dependencies to get it to work on Cygwin, and
> thankfully I didn't need to build most of the packages in that guide from
> source because they were included in the Cygwin repository, but there are 2
> or 3 that are not, including x264 and x265.
> So I'm now trying to build x624 from source with the following command:
> cd /ffmpeg_sources && git -C x264 pull 2> /dev/null || git clone --depth 1
> https://git.videolan.org/git/x264 && cd x264 && PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/ffmpeg_build/lib/pkgconfig" ./configure
> --prefix="/ffmpeg_build" --bindir="/usr/local/bin" --enable-static
> --enable-pic && PATH="usr/local/bin:$PATH" make -j4 && make install
> But at the configure stage of this command, I get a few errors and lots of
> warnings, but the final  error is this one:
> [Makefile:272: input/avs.o] Error 1
> I believe this is a Cygwin error based on the fact that the error immediately
> before the one above is the HMODULE error here:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45181102/ffmpeg-on-cygwin-failed-to-compile-libx264-error-unknown-type-name-hmodule
> And in that question the OP and another answer are trying to follow the very
> same guide while using Cygwin on the same 64-bit Windows 7.
> What's the problem here and how can I solve it? The errors go away and the
> compilation works when I include --disable-avs, but I don't want the version
> of FFmpeg that I build to come without AVS/Avisynth support.

Can I suggest you install cygport, and look at using it, to more easily build
Cygwin packages, if there is any kind of common infrastructure used, even just
configure && make, autotools, and many other builders, rather than DIY.

Once you understand the cygport approach, it helps eliminate a lot of the
mismatches doing builds between Cygwin and other Unix platforms, and makes
overriding parts of the process and applying or creating patches easier.

You can often just apt-get source /package/, get the source .tar.gz out using ar
and tar, create a .cygport script, and build. For Debian, GNU, and other popular
distro mirrors, cygport can get the source packages directly from their mirrors.

* Re: Fatal errors when compiling x264 from source while Avisynth is enabled
@ 2019-03-05 19:40 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-03-05 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hashim Aziz writes:
> I'm trying to follow the FFmpeg wiki's guide here to build FFmpeg from
> source with the most superior codecs it can make use of, like
> libfdk-aac and libopus:
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu
>
> I've sorted many of the dependencies to get it to work on Cygwin, and
> thankfully I didn't need to build most of the packages in that guide
> from source because they were included in the Cygwin repository, but
> there are 2 or 3 that are not, including x264 and x265.
>
> So I'm now trying to build x624 from source with the following command:
>
> cd /ffmpeg_sources && git -C x264 pull 2> /dev/null || git clone
> --depth 1 https://git.videolan.org/git/x264 && cd x264 &&
> PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/ffmpeg_build/lib/pkgconfig" ./configure
> --prefix="/ffmpeg_build" --bindir="/usr/local/bin" --enable-static
> --enable-pic && PATH="usr/local/bin:$PATH" make -j4 && make install

That doesn't look like anything you'd want to do on Cygwin.

> But at the configure stage of this command, I get a few errors and
> lots of warnings, but the final error is this one:
>
> [Makefile:272: input/avs.o] Error 1
>
> I believe this is a Cygwin error based on the fact that the error
> immediately before the one above is the HMODULE error here:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45181102/ffmpeg-on-cygwin-failed-to-compile-libx264-error-unknown-type-name-hmodule
>
> And in that question the OP and another answer are trying to follow
> the very same guide while using Cygwin on the same 64-bit Windows 7.
>
> What's the problem here and how can I solve it? The errors go away and
> the compilation works when I include --disable-avs, but I don't want
> the version of FFmpeg that I build to come without AVS/Avisynth
> support.

The problem is most likely that the configury tries to treat Cygwin as
some sort of MS Windows and/or MSys, based on an incomplete evaluation
of the system properties.  If you really want to compile for Cygwin,
you'll need to check each decision in the configury for not entering
into Windows-specific branches.

Regards,
Achim.