* Cygwin 2.6.1 32-bit post install failed by /usr/bin/perl.exe
@ 2017-01-16  7:29 Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2017-01-16  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I recently tried newly install Cygwin 2.6.1 on 32-bit Windows 10.

I did:
Stop old cygwin
cd c:\
ren cygwin cygwin.old
Run setup-x86.exe for full install excluding *x86_64* modulues.

However, the post install didn't seem to end.  At that time, ps
on mintty showed a lot of defunct perl processes.  Then I tried
replacing /usr/bin/perl.exe with the one I built from the source
one and a half years ago.

cd /usr/bin
mv perl.exe perl.exe.orig
ln -s /cygdrive/c/cygwin.old/usr/local/bin/perl.exe .

It did the trick!  Now new cygwin is running with no problem!
I don't know what yielded the result.  The file sizes of them
very differ because 5.22.3 was srtipped but 5.22.0 wasn't:

/usr/bin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 yamaoka None 12829 Jan 15 12:54 perl.exe.orig*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 yamaoka None 12829 Jan 15 12:54 perl5.22.3.exe

/cygdrive/c/cygwin.old/usr/local/bin
-rwxr-xr-x 2 yamaoka None 71801 Oct 21  2015 perl.exe*
-rwxr-xr-x 2 yamaoka None 71801 Oct 21  2015 perl5.22.0.exe*

But I cannot believe strip broke it.  cygcheck for them didn't
show meaningful difference.  It's a mystery.

Regards,

* Re: Cygwin 2.6.1 32-bit post install failed by /usr/bin/perl.exe
@ 2017-01-16 17:58 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-01-16 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Katsumi Yamaoka writes:
> Run setup-x86.exe for full install excluding *x86_64* modulues.

You do not want a full Cygwin install.  In particular, you do not want a
full installl for Cygwin 32bit.

> However, the post install didn't seem to end.  At that time, ps
> on mintty showed a lot of defunct perl processes.  Then I tried
> replacing /usr/bin/perl.exe with the one I built from the source
> one and a half years ago.

You've run out of address space to rebase to and now perl (which comes
pretty late in the rebase sequence) collides with something else on your
system or maybe even the Cygwin heap.

> It did the trick!  Now new cygwin is running with no problem!

No it doesn't and it never will given that you did a full install.
Please do a fresh install with only the packages that you need.  If you
select too many packages you will likely need to switch to a 3GB
userVM address space even then.  You are much better off using a 64bit
Cygwin if you're using a 64bit Windows version.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Cygwin 2.6.1 32-bit post install failed by /usr/bin/perl.exe
@ 2017-01-18  1:02   ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2017-01-18  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 18:57:51 +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Katsumi Yamaoka writes:
>> Run setup-x86.exe for full install excluding *x86_64* modulues.

> You do not want a full Cygwin install.  In particular, you do not want a
> full installl for Cygwin 32bit.

Yes, I know I overdo or am greedy.  So, I tried minimal install,
that is:

Stop cygwin
cd c:\
ren cygwin cygwin.cur
Run setup-x86.exe with the default configuration, plus Emacs,
Perl, X11, and some required dependencies.

It finished with no problem and main commands work fine.  Oh!

>> However, the post install didn't seem to end.  At that time, ps
>> on mintty showed a lot of defunct perl processes.  Then I tried
>> replacing /usr/bin/perl.exe with the one I built from the source
>> one and a half years ago.

> You've run out of address space to rebase to and now perl (which comes
> pretty late in the rebase sequence) collides with something else on your
> system or maybe even the Cygwin heap.

I see.  But the current 32-bit full-install seems to work (I
haven't tested everything, though).  Does it mean only a space,
that is comparable to the one perl and possibly a few modules
occupy, exceeds the limit?  Moreover, is there no way to know
how many space exceeds the limit, before installing?  I won't do
it even if it exists if it is hard to me, though.

Anyway, it's handy that everything is close at hand. ;)

>> It did the trick!  Now new cygwin is running with no problem!

> No it doesn't and it never will given that you did a full install.
> Please do a fresh install with only the packages that you need.  If you
> select too many packages you will likely need to switch to a 3GB
> userVM address space even then.  You are much better off using a 64bit
> Cygwin if you're using a 64bit Windows version.

Ok, I will try negotiating with boss for a 64-bit machine at the
next opportunity.  This is an office pc.

Thank you very much for your help.

@ 2017-01-18 18:21     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-01-18 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Katsumi Yamaoka writes:
> I see.  But the current 32-bit full-install seems to work (I
> haven't tested everything, though).

The operative word here is "seems to work".  The fact that you see no
problem already tells you that you don't need a lot of the things that
you have installed.  I curate a much smaller, but still pretty
substantial Cygwin installation than "full" at work and I know for a
fact that it only works on a 32bit system when the userVM in Windows
gets changed to 3GB, otherwise you'll collide with the Cygwin heap
pretty quickly.

> Does it mean only a space, that is comparable to the one perl and
> possibly a few modules occupy, exceeds the limit?  Moreover, is there
> no way to know how many space exceeds the limit, before installing?  I
> won't do it even if it exists if it is hard to me, though.

YOu can check where everything got rebased to and when you see it got
rebased to where the heap should be then you know you're in trouble.

> Ok, I will try negotiating with boss for a 64-bit machine at the
> next opportunity.  This is an office pc.

That's preferrable, but a 3GB user VM is at least worth a try (it still
won't save you if you insist on installing everything).

Regards,
Achim.