* problem reproducing perl-Error build
@ 2014-04-17  3:59 Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2014-04-17  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm listed as maintainer of the perl-Error module, and am trying to
upgrade to the 0.17022 release.  However, when I try to rebuild the
0.17019 release that was done on my behalf for 64-bit cygwin, it fails:

$ cygport perl-Error.cygport fetch prep make
>>> Preparing perl-Error-0.17019-1
>>> Unpacking source Error-0.17019.tar.gz
>>> Preparing working source directory
>>> Compiling perl-Error-0.17019-1
cygwin warning:
  MS-DOS style path detected: \Users\Administrator
  Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/Users/Administrator
  CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
warning.
  Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
    http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
Created MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
Creating new 'Build' script for 'Error' version '0.17019'
Module::Build version 0.39 required--this is only version 0.38 at Build
line 41.
*** ERROR: Module::Build build failed

This raises several questions:

1. What is going wrong in cygport and/or perl's Module::Build that is
triggering the nodosfile warning?

2. How did someone else (Yaakov?) build the 64-bit package?  Why is it
not reproducible using self-hosted stock cygwin?

3. Any chance the perl Module::Build shipped in cygwin perl can be
bumped to a newer version?

* Re: problem reproducing perl-Error build
@ 2014-04-17  8:13 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-17  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric Blake <eblake <at> redhat.com> writes:
> cygwin warning:
>   MS-DOS style path detected: \Users\Administrator
>   Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/Users/Administrator
>   CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
> warning.
>   Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>     http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
> Created MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
> Creating new 'Build' script for 'Error' version '0.17019'
> Module::Build version 0.39 required--this is only version 0.38 at Build
> line 41.
> *** ERROR: Module::Build build failed
>
> This raises several questions:
>
> 1. What is going wrong in cygport and/or perl's Module::Build that is
> triggering the nodosfile warning?

You need a newer Module::Build (I'm currently at 0.4205).  If you build this
version of Error you'll also find that it fails the test suite...

> 2. How did someone else (Yaakov?) build the 64-bit package?  Why is it
> not reproducible using self-hosted stock cygwin?

The dependencies don't care about versions unfortunately.

> 3. Any chance the perl Module::Build shipped in cygwin perl can be
> bumped to a newer version?

======8<=====
_ml="PAR::Dist"
inform " Build of perl-Module-Build requires"
inform "   $_ml"
for _m in $_ml; do
  check_perl_module $_m || warning " Perl module $_m is missing from build
environment."
done
if ! check_perl_module $_ml; then
  error " At least one required perl module is missing."
fi
NAME="perl-Module-Build"
VERSION="0.4205"
RELEASE="1"
CPAN_AUTHOR="LEONT"
DESCRIPTION="Perl distribution Module-Build, providing Perl modules:
Module::Build Module::Build::Base Module::Build::Compat
Module::Build::Config Module::Build::Cookbook Module::Build::Dumper
Module::Build::ModuleInfo Module::Build::Notes Module::Build::PPMMaker
Module::Build::Platform::Default Module::Build::Platform::MacOS
Module::Build::Platform::Unix Module::Build::Platform::VMS
Module::Build::Platform::VOS Module::Build::Platform::Windows
Module::Build::Platform::aix Module::Build::Platform::cygwin
Module::Build::Platform::darwin Module::Build::Platform::os2
Module::Build::PodParser Module::Build::Version Module::Build::YAML
inc::latest inc::latest::private.

Build and install Perl modules."

DIFF_EXCLUDES="MYMETA.*"

inherit perl
======>8=====

Regards,
Achim

* Re: problem reproducing perl-Error build
@ 2014-04-17 12:31   ` Eric Blake
From: Eric Blake @ 2014-04-17 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 04/17/2014 02:13 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Eric Blake <eblake <at> redhat.com> writes:
>> cygwin warning:
>>   MS-DOS style path detected: \Users\Administrator
>>   Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/Users/Administrator
>>   CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>> warning.
>>   Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>     http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>> Created MYMETA.yml and MYMETA.json
>> Creating new 'Build' script for 'Error' version '0.17019'
>> Module::Build version 0.39 required--this is only version 0.38 at Build
>> line 41.
>> *** ERROR: Module::Build build failed
>>
>> This raises several questions:
>>
>> 1. What is going wrong in cygport and/or perl's Module::Build that is
>> triggering the nodosfile warning?
>
> You need a newer Module::Build (I'm currently at 0.4205).  If you build this
> version of Error you'll also find that it fails the test suite...

Which version of Error - reproducing the 0.17019 shipped in 64-bit
cygwin, or the latest 0.17022 available upstream?

I guess I should come out and state this:

I have no vested interest in maintaining the perl-Error package.  It is
my only 'inherit perl' package, and I originally packaged as a
pre-requisite of being able to package git; but now that someone else is
planning on adopting git (although the progress on that front has been
glacially slow), I'm more than willing to put perl-Error up for adoption
for anyone else to manage, that is more likely to know how to resolve
the issues that I ran into.  Is this something you'd like to adopt?

* Re: problem reproducing perl-Error build
@ 2014-04-18  7:46     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-04-18  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Eric Blake writes:
>> You need a newer Module::Build (I'm currently at 0.4205).  If you build this
>> version of Error you'll also find that it fails the test suite...
>
> Which version of Error - reproducing the 0.17019 shipped in 64-bit
> cygwin, or the latest 0.17022 available upstream?

The 0.17019 version as shipped with Cygwin64 fails the test suite (but
otherwise works fine for me); I didn't look why exactly it does this.
The current version 0.17022 passes all tests once you've installed a new
enough Module::Build.  I recommend you use App::cpanminus to bootstrap
the build dependencies.

> I guess I should come out and state this:
>
> I have no vested interest in maintaining the perl-Error package.  It is
> my only 'inherit perl' package, and I originally packaged as a
> pre-requisite of being able to package git; but now that someone else is
> planning on adopting git (although the progress on that front has been
> glacially slow), I'm more than willing to put perl-Error up for adoption
> for anyone else to manage, that is more likely to know how to resolve
> the issues that I ran into.  Is this something you'd like to adopt?

If Reini can be persuaded to unbundle perl_vendor into it's constituent
distributions, then yes.  Otherwise I'd have to maintain another build
environment just for this and change many things in my build process; I
simply don't have the time to do this at the moment.

Regards,
Achim.