* cygwin64 gnuplot 5.4 patchlevel 0 -all sciripts written for gnuplot 4.6 do not run.
@ 2020-11-12 21:35 Kramer (US), Leonard
From: Kramer (US), Leonard @ 2020-11-12 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm running cygwin64 on a Windows 10 platform .
None of my 5 existing, well established, gnuplot 4.6 scripts run under gnuplot-base 5.4 which I just installed.

Let's start with:

This fragment works as I intended under gnuplot 4.6.  It reads the first line of a file named in ARG1 and extracts the first field.
inputfile = ARG1
starttime = system("head -c 37 " . inputfile . "| awk '{print $1}' " )

However, in gnuplot-base (5.4 patchlevel 0)
The '$1' persistently translates to the second gnuplot-base command line argument (ie: ARG2).   It is not supposed to be assigned to anything as far as I know.  I have a work around but this appears to be a very severe bug.

This is only the first error I'm working through.   I'm actually working on restoring gnuplot 4.6.

Leonard Kramer, Ph.D.
Boeing Company HB3-20
Guidance, Navigation and Control
13100 Space Center Blvd.
Houston, TX 77059
Leonard.Kramer@Boeing.com

* Re: cygwin64 gnuplot 5.4 patchlevel 0 -all sciripts written for gnuplot 4.6 do not run.
@ 2020-11-13 21:25 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-11-13 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kramer (US), Leonard via Cygwin writes:
> I'm running cygwin64 on a Windows 10 platform .  None of my 5
> existing, well established, gnuplot 4.6 scripts run under gnuplot-base
> 5.4 which I just installed.

You'd be well advised to peruse the changelogs for all the versions
since then, especially those mentioning feature removals and
deprecations as well as the section "Differences from Version 4" in the
manual.

(The particular feature you were mentioning was deprecated upstream in
version 5.0 and removed in Cygwin two and a half years ago with one of
the gnuplot 5.2 releases.)

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: cygwin64 gnuplot 5.4 patchlevel 0 -all sciripts written for gnuplot 4.6 do not run.
@ 2020-12-02 20:33 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2020-12-02 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Kramer (US), Leonard via Cygwin writes:
> However, in gnuplot-base (5.4 patchlevel 0) The '$1' persistently
> translates to the second gnuplot-base command line argument (ie:
> ARG2).  It is not supposed to be assigned to anything as far as I
> know.  I have a work around but this appears to be a very severe bug.

The just released gnuplot 5.4.1 should have a bugfix for this, please test.

Regards,
Achim.