* /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-13 17:19 richw
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: richw @ 2012-06-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
/usr/lib no longer are useful. The mount command (for which I need to type
/bin/mount) shows nothing mounted there. I type the following two commands:
mount c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
mount c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib
and things work (through reboots) for a while, and then break again.
Any hints how I can keep this from happening, or what might cause it?

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-13 17:48 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-06-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:19:42AM -0700, richw wrote:
>I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
>/usr/lib no longer are useful.  The mount command (for which I need to
>type /bin/mount) shows nothing mounted there.  I type the following two
>commands:
>mount c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
>mount c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib
>and things work (through reboots) for a while, and then break again.
>Any hints how I can keep this from happening, or what might cause it?

One big hint:
http://cygwin.com/problems.html

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-13 19:47   ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-13 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:19:42AM -0700, richw wrote:
>>I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
>>/usr/lib no longer are useful.  The mount command (for which I need to
>>type /bin/mount) shows nothing mounted there.  I type the following two
>>commands:
>>mount c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
>>mount c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib
>>and things work (through reboots) for a while, and then break again.
>>Any hints how I can keep this from happening, or what might cause it?
>
> One big hint:
> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> --

Sometimes I'm not good at interpreting hints. Let's see - Google didn't find
me anything. The FAQ doesn't seem to help. So I think the hint is telling me
to include cygcheck output, which I will now do.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34007924/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out

By the way, the response to the mount command now looks like

rw@seven ~
$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,user)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,user)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

rw@seven ~
$

I note that another cygwin installation has (binary,auto) instead of
(binary,user) for the two mounts in question.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-13 21:05     ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-06-13 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/13/2012 9:47 PM, richw wrote:

> Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:19:42AM -0700, richw wrote:
>>> I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
>>> /usr/lib no longer are useful.  The mount command (for which I need to
>>> type /bin/mount) shows nothing mounted there.  I type the following two
>>> commands:
>>> mount c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
>>> mount c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib
>>> and things work (through reboots) for a while, and then break again.
>>> Any hints how I can keep this from happening, or what might cause it?
>>
>> One big hint:
>> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>

> Sometimes I'm not good at interpreting hints. Let's see - Google didn't find
> me anything. The FAQ doesn't seem to help. So I think the hint is telling me
> to include cygcheck output, which I will now do.
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p34007924/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out
>
> By the way, the response to the mount command now looks like
>
> rw@seven ~
> $ mount
> C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,user)
> C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,user)
> C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> rw@seven ~
> $
>
> I note that another cygwin installation has (binary,auto) instead of
> (binary,user) for the two mounts in question.

look on difference between "/etc/fstab"
see
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table

Regards
Marco

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-13 22:38       ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-13 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri-4 wrote:

> On 6/13/2012 9:47 PM, richw wrote:
>>

>> Christopher Faylor-8 wrote:

>>> One big hint:
>>> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>>>

>> Sometimes I'm not good at interpreting hints. Let's see - Google didn't
>> find
>> me anything. The FAQ doesn't seem to help. So I think the hint is telling
>> me
>> to include cygcheck output, which I will now do.
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p34007924/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out
>>
>> By the way, the response to the mount command now looks like
>>
>> rw@seven ~
>> $ mount
>> C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,user)
>> C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,user)
>> C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
>> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>>
>> rw@seven ~
>> $
>>
>> I note that another cygwin installation has (binary,auto) instead of
>> (binary,user) for the two mounts in question.
>>

> look on difference between "/etc/fstab"
> see
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
>
> Regards
> Marco
>
> --

Your point is??? I read

> /usr/bin and /usr/lib are by default also automatic mount points generated
> by the Cygwin DLL similar to the way the root directory is evaluated.
> /usr/bin points to the directory the Cygwin DLL is installed in, /usr/lib
> is supposed to point to the /lib directory. This choice is safe and
> usually shouldn't be changed. An fstab entry for them is not required.

which tells me I should ignore /etc/fstab, and I shouldn't have to do
anything. It should just work.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-13 22:50 ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2012-06-13 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 6/13/2012 11:19 AM, richw wrote:

> I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
> /usr/lib no longer are useful.

It would help if you could pin down what you were doing before Cygwin
breaks each time.

Can you please search your entire hard drive for a second copy of
cygwin1.dll?  There should only be one, in c:\cygwin\bin.  If you find
others, tell us their paths.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-13 23:33   ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-13 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young wrote:

> On 6/13/2012 11:19 AM, richw wrote:
>>
>> I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
>> /usr/lib no longer are useful.
>
> It would help if you could pin down what you were doing before Cygwin
> breaks each time.
>
> Can you please search your entire hard drive for a second copy of
> cygwin1.dll?  There should only be one, in c:\cygwin\bin.  If you find
> others, tell us their paths.
>
> --

What was I doing? I rebooted the computer. I don't remember doing
anything unusual before or after the reboot. Yesterday I was doing a
bunch of downloading of libraries and other information, mostly from
st.com. I did double-click on a *.chm file which tried to do something
but didn't succeed. I got a Contents pane, but the content just
says "Navigation to the webpage was canceled"

I have 11 copies of cygwin1.dll.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34009171/cygwin1list.txt cygwin1list.txt
The D: drive is backup, and you can see there a copy from my c:
drive from my previous computer. I would hope that none of the
copies on the D: drive would interfere with anything.

C:\Downloads\ST\stm32_usb_something_um0424\STM32_USB-FS-Device_Lib_V3.3.0\Utilities\Binary\cygwin1.dll

is interesting because I probably downloaded it yesterday. It's
possible I ran some program from that download, but I don't
remember doing so. In the same directory is a file named arm-elf-objcopy.exe
that uses cygwin1.dll, but I have never run it.

The other two copies on C: are detritus left over from creating
a windows installer that included it, before I figured out how to make
an executable that didn't require it.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-14  1:03     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2012-06-14  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin-L

On 6/13/2012 5:32 PM, richw wrote:

> What was I doing? I rebooted the computer.

You're being pedantic.  I mean, what program(s) did you run before you
noticed Cygwin stopped working, causing you to reboot to fix it?

I believe you are running something that fights with Cygwin somehow, and
this other program is the culprit.

> I have 11 copies of cygwin1.dll.

There you go.  I refer you to the FAQ:

	http://cygwin.com/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.multiple-copies

I suggest you contact ST and the creators of uMIDI and DCRABBIT and tell
them it is *not cool* to be shipping around copies of cygwin1.dll.
Aside from being a probable license violation, it results in
compatibility problems like you've run into.  They should simply be
making Cygwin a dependency, then shipping Cygwin packages for you to
install into your pre-existing Cygwin installation.

> is interesting because I probably downloaded it yesterday. It's
> possible I ran some program from that download, but I don't
> remember doing so. In the same directory is a file named arm-elf-objcopy.exe
> that uses cygwin1.dll, but I have never run it.

Bottom line, this constitutes a competing copy of Cygwin on the same
system.  You can run one or the other, not both at the same time.

Again, yell at ST about this.  Lame or illegal, it matters not.  They
shouldn't be doing it.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-14  1:21       ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-14  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Warren Young wrote:

> On 6/13/2012 5:32 PM, richw wrote:
>>
>> What was I doing? I rebooted the computer.
>
> You're being pedantic.  I mean, what program(s) did you run before you
> noticed Cygwin stopped working, causing you to reboot to fix it?

I rebooted my computer because it was late and it was time
to go to bed. It was working fine before I turned it off, and it
didn't work when I rebooted in the morning. And the only thing that didn't
work was the mount points; "ls" (and almost everything else)
would fail, which I abbreviated to "cygwin didn't work". Two
simple mount commands fixed that.
Based upon the symptoms, I doubt that cygwin1.dll problems are
to blame, unless there's something in all of the start-up stuff
that uses a rogue copy.

To be complete, I'll go around and delete all of the copies.
If the problem recurs in a week or a month, I'll come back here!
If it doesn't, thanks for your help.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-14  4:20         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-06-14  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 06:21:13PM -0700, richw wrote:

>Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> On 6/13/2012 5:32 PM, richw wrote:
>>>
>>> What was I doing? I rebooted the computer.
>>
>> You're being pedantic.  I mean, what program(s) did you run before you
>> noticed Cygwin stopped working, causing you to reboot to fix it?
>>

>I rebooted my computer because it was late and it was time
>to go to bed. It was working fine before I turned it off, and it
>didn't work when I rebooted in the morning. And the only thing that didn't
>work was the mount points; "ls" (and almost everything else)
>would fail, which I abbreviated to "cygwin didn't work". Two
>simple mount commands fixed that.
>Based upon the symptoms, I doubt that cygwin1.dll problems are
>to blame, unless there's something in all of the start-up stuff
>that uses a rogue copy.
>
>To be complete, I'll go around and delete all of the copies.
>If the problem recurs in a week or a month, I'll come back here!
>If it doesn't, thanks for your help.

Also make sure that you Cygwin is up-to-date.  According to cygcheck,
you're running DLL version 1.7.11.  The current version is 1.7.15.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-19 17:06 ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-19 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

richw wrote:

> I occasionally find that cygwin is broken, and I find that /usr/bin and
> /usr/lib no longer are useful. The mount command (for which I need to type
> /bin/mount) shows nothing mounted there. I type the following two
> commands:
> mount c:/cygwin/bin /usr/bin
> mount c:/cygwin/lib /usr/lib
> and things work (through reboots) for a while, and then break again.
> Any hints how I can keep this from happening, or what might cause it?

I believe I have figured out how to reproduce this problem. It seems to be
caused by accessing an nfs server before running cygwin.bat to run bash. But
in case that's not enough information, I'll give a complete sequence. Here's
a cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34037768/cygcheck.out cygcheck.out

First, install the cygwin nfs server. Here's my /etc/exports:

> / (ro,no_root_squash)

[Yeah, security!]
Reboot.
Run putty and use a serial port to talk to my TS-7250 embedded computer
(embeddedarm.com).

> 50:/root # uname -a
> Linux ts7200 2.4.26-ts9 #151 Mon Feb 13 16:01:46 MST 2006 armv4l unknown
> 50:/root # cat /etc/profile
> [snip]
> m()
> {
>   mount | grep nfs >/dev/null
>   if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
>     mount 192.168.1.40:/ /mnt
>   fi
>   cd /mnt/home/rw
> }
> 50:/root # m
> 50:/mnt/home/rw #

[I probably did an 'ls' too, but didn't get that copied]
Now, click my cygwin.bat icon:

> bash: id: command not found
> bash: /usr/bin/hostname: No such file or directory
> bash: sed: command not found
> bash: ls: command not found
> bash: /usr/bin/locale: No such file or directory
> bash: /usr/bin/tzset: No such file or directory
> bash: id: command not found
>
> rw@seven ~
> $ mount
> bash: mount: command not found
>
> rw@seven ~
> $ /bin/mount
> C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> rw@seven ~

A reboot fixes the problem, as long as I run cygwin.bat before I access nfs.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-19 18:16   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-06-19 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

richw writes:
[...]
> A reboot fixes the problem, as long as I run cygwin.bat before I access nfs.

The problem quite likely lies with your 11 different copies of
cygwin1.dll.  You start the NFS server and it picks up one of those,
just not the one for your actual Cygwin installation.  Now Cygwin is
hosed until no process uses cygwin1.dll anymore or you reboot.

What is the output from '/bin/uname -a' when your Cygwin has stopped
working?

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-19 19:15     ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ASSI wrote:

> richw writes:
> [...]
>> A reboot fixes the problem, as long as I run cygwin.bat before I access
>> nfs.
>
> The problem quite likely lies with your 11 different copies of
> cygwin1.dll.  You start the NFS server and it picks up one of those,
> just not the one for your actual Cygwin installation.  Now Cygwin is
> hosed until no process uses cygwin1.dll anymore or you reboot.
>
> What is the output from '/bin/uname -a' when your Cygwin has stopped
> working?
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#BlofeldUserWavetables
>

> --

All the superfluous copies of cygwin1.dll are long gone or renamed.
After reboot & nfs access:

@ 2012-06-19 21:07       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-06-19 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

richw writes:
>> rw@seven ~
>> $ /bin/uname -a
>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 seven 1.7.15(0.260/5/3) 2012-05-09 10:25 i686 Cygwin

Your cygcheck.out said I should be expecting a 1.7.11 version here.  So
maybe you didn't nuke all extra versions or your cygcheck output wasn't
for your actual installation...

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20  1:07         ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-20  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ASSI wrote:

> richw writes:
>>> rw@seven ~
>>> $ /bin/uname -a
>>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 seven 1.7.15(0.260/5/3) 2012-05-09 10:25 i686 Cygwin
>
> Your cygcheck.out said I should be expecting a 1.7.11 version here.  So
> maybe you didn't nuke all extra versions or your cygcheck output wasn't
> for your actual installation...
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs
>

> --

You are looking at the wrong version of cygcheck.out somehow. After my
initial series of communications, in addition to removing all the surplus
cygwin1.dll files, I updated everything, and included an updated
cygcheck.out. Look for it in a message dated June 19, since that's the date
on the file. An excerpt from that file:

 2235k 2012/05/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2012/5/9 9:25
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.7.15

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20  4:39           ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-06-20  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/20/2012 3:07 AM, richw wrote:

> ASSI wrote:

>> Your cygcheck.out said I should be expecting a 1.7.11 version here.  So
>> maybe you didn't nuke all extra versions or your cygcheck output wasn't
>> for your actual installation...
>>

>> Regards,
>> Achim.
>> --
>> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>>
>> Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
>> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs
>>

>> --
>> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
>> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html
>>

> You are looking at the wrong version of cygcheck.out somehow. After my
> initial series of communications, in addition to removing all the surplus
> cygwin1.dll files, I updated everything, and included an updated
> cygcheck.out. Look for it in a message dated June 19, since that's the date
> on the file. An excerpt from that file:
>
>   2235k 2012/05/09 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
>                    "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2012/5/9 9:25
>      Cygwin DLL version info:
>          DLL version: 1.7.15

cool down
your message of 19 Jun

has still an old one cygcheck.out as link.

"Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
Current System Time: Wed Jun 13 12:37:37 2012
2748k 2012/02/24 C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                   "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2012/2/24 5:05
     Cygwin DLL version info:
         DLL version: 1.7.11
         DLL epoch: 19
         DLL old termios: 5
         DLL malloc env: 28
         Cygwin conv: 181
         API major: 0
         API minor: 260
         Shared data: 5
         DLL identifier: cygwin1
         Mount registry: 3
         Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
         Program options name: Program Options
         Installations name: Installations
         Cygdrive default prefix:
         Build date:
         Shared id: cygwin1S5

so please so kind to provide us the right and updated info

Regards
Marco

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20  5:26             ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-20  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri-4 wrote:

> cool down
> your message of 19 Jun
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-06/msg00336.html
> has still an old one cygcheck.out as link.
> so please so kind to provide us the right and updated info
>
> Regards
> Marco
>

> --

I apologize. I have apparently been bitten by uploading two different files
with the same name. When I clicked on the link in the message of the 19th, I
got the correct file. So, after a name change, we have:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34040469/cygcheck2.out cygcheck2.out

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20  7:08               ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-06-20  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/20/2012 7:26 AM, richw wrote:

> marco atzeri-4 wrote:
>>

>> cool down
>> your message of 19 Jun
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-06/msg00336.html
>> has still an old one cygcheck.out as link.
>> so please so kind to provide us the right and updated info
>>
>> Regards
>> Marco
>>

> I apologize. I have apparently been bitten by uploading two different files
> with the same name. When I clicked on the link in the message of the 19th, I
> got the correct file. So, after a name change, we have:
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p34040469/cygcheck2.out cygcheck2.out

I see nothing strange.

On one of your previous post you mentioned

"bash: id: command not found"

this usually happens if the shell is not a login shell.
as the cygwin dir are not added to the path.

Eg
from cmd.exe in c:\cygwin
------------------------------
C:\>cd cygwin

C:\cygwin>bin\bash

$ id
bash: id: command not found
-----------------------------

while
-----------------------------
E:\cygwin>bin\bash  -l

$ id
uid=1008(marco) gid=544(Administrators)
groups=544(Administrators),0(root),545(U
sers),513(None)
------------------------------

However for cygcheck you have:

Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe
UID: 1000(rw)       GID: 513(None)
513(None)           0(root)             544(Administrators) 545(Users)
1002(HomeUsers)

Path:	C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
	C:\cygwin\bin
[cut]

Is it possible that some of your shell are incorrectly called ?
Regards
MArco

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20 15:43                 ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-20 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

marco atzeri-4 wrote:

> On 6/20/2012 7:26 AM, richw wrote:
>>

>> marco atzeri-4 wrote:
>>>

>>> cool down
>>> your message of 19 Jun
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-06/msg00336.html
>>> has still an old one cygcheck.out as link.
>>> so please so kind to provide us the right and updated info
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Marco
>>>

>> I apologize. I have apparently been bitten by uploading two different
>> files
>> with the same name. When I clicked on the link in the message of the
>> 19th, I
>> got the correct file. So, after a name change, we have:
>> http://old.nabble.com/file/p34040469/cygcheck2.out cygcheck2.out
>>

> I see nothing strange.
>
> On one of your previous post you mentioned
>
> "bash: id: command not found"
>
> this usually happens if the shell is not a login shell.
> as the cygwin dir are not added to the path.
>
> Eg
> from cmd.exe in c:\cygwin
> ------------------------------
> C:\>cd cygwin
>
> C:\cygwin>bin\bash
>
> $ id
> bash: id: command not found
> -----------------------------
>
> while
> -----------------------------
> E:\cygwin>bin\bash  -l
>
> $ id
> uid=1008(marco) gid=544(Administrators)
> groups=544(Administrators),0(root),545(U
> sers),513(None)
> ------------------------------
>

> However for cygcheck you have:
>
> Output from C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe
> UID: 1000(rw)       GID: 513(None)
> 513(None)           0(root)             544(Administrators) 545(Users)
> 1002(HomeUsers)
>
> Path:	C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin
> 	C:\cygwin\bin
> [cut]
>

> Is it possible that some of your shell are incorrectly called ?
> Regards
> MArco
>
> --

Marco,

I suspect that you are losing sight of the big picture. When you look at
"bash: id: command not found"
you are looking at one of the downstream consequences of the original
problem.
Or, that is, of the most upstream problem that I know of. When /bin isn't
mounted on /usr/bin, of course id will not be found, since $PATH points to
/usr/bin,
and /usr/bin is empty.
I believe what needs to be studied is why an access from a remote system
to an nfs file system before opening a bash prompt causes the automatic
mount of /usr/bin and /usr/lib to be skipped.
When I open a bash prompt before accessing the nfs file system, everything
works as it should.
cygcheck2.out was created when the system was working correctly.
I don't believe it's useful, but here is a cygcheck when the mount has been
skipped:
$ /bin/cygcheck -s -v -r >
http://old.nabble.com/file/p34043774/cygcheck3.out cygcheck3.out
It looks like it's mostly just missing stuff it couldn't find.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20 17:23                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-06-20 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

richw writes:
> I believe what needs to be studied is why an access from a remote system
> to an nfs file system before opening a bash prompt causes the automatic
> mount of /usr/bin and /usr/lib to be skipped.

With the most likely problem apparently out of the way, let's look at
the second: when you access the NFS export, three daemons get started
(mountd, nfsd and portmap) under their own account (apparently .\nfs?).
Those should see the following mount points according to cygcheck3.out:

C:\cygwin        /          system  binary,auto
C:\cygwin\bin    /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
C:\cygwin\lib    /usr/lib   system  binary,auto
cygdrive prefix  /cygdrive  user    binary,auto

and since they appear to be working correctly (but check the logfiles)
one can assume that these mounts are present.

When you run bash before starting the daemons you said you see these
mounts instead:

C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,user)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,user)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

So there must be an fstab entry that changes /usr/bin and /usr/lib to
user mounts.  What happens if you get rid of those two entries, either
in /etc/fstab or /etc/fstab.d/<user>?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20 18:23                     ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-20 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ASSI wrote:

> richw writes:
>> I believe what needs to be studied is why an access from a remote system
>> to an nfs file system before opening a bash prompt causes the automatic
>> mount of /usr/bin and /usr/lib to be skipped.
>
> With the most likely problem apparently out of the way, let's look at
> the second: when you access the NFS export, three daemons get started
> (mountd, nfsd and portmap) under their own account (apparently .\nfs?).
> Those should see the following mount points according to cygcheck3.out:
>
> C:\cygwin        /          system  binary,auto
> C:\cygwin\bin    /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
> C:\cygwin\lib    /usr/lib   system  binary,auto
> cygdrive prefix  /cygdrive  user    binary,auto
>
> and since they appear to be working correctly (but check the logfiles)
> one can assume that these mounts are present.
>
> When you run bash before starting the daemons you said you see these
> mounts instead:
>
> C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,user)
> C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,user)
> C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> So there must be an fstab entry that changes /usr/bin and /usr/lib to
> user mounts.  What happens if you get rid of those two entries, either
> in /etc/fstab or /etc/fstab.d/<user>?
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs
>

> --
>

>when you access the NFS export, three daemons get started
>(mountd, nfsd and portmap) under their own account (apparently .\nfs?).
The daemons are apparently started before the NFS export is accessed.
At least, the windows "services" report shows them as "started".
The logon Is .\nfs

>Those should see the following mount points according to cygcheck3.out:
I don't have /usr/bin or /usr/lib in exports, but I think you are saying
that if
I did, I could access them via NFS.

>When you run bash before starting the daemons you said you see these
>mounts instead:
I goofed, and didn't initially notice the difference between (user) and
(auto) in
the mount command response. When I do the mount manually to correct
for the missing mount, it shows (user). When I reboot and run bash first,
I see (auto) as expected.
/etc/fstab is empty (except for comments), as is /etc/fstab.d

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20 18:41                       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-06-20 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

richw writes:
>>when you access the NFS export, three daemons get started
>>(mountd, nfsd and portmap) under their own account (apparently .\nfs?).
> The daemons are apparently started before the NFS export is accessed.
> At least, the windows "services" report shows them as "started".
> The logon Is .\nfs

So the domain is "." and the account "nfs"?

>>Those should see the following mount points according to cygcheck3.out:
> I don't have /usr/bin or /usr/lib in exports, but I think you are
> saying that if I did, I could access them via NFS.

Maybe.  It could be worth a try.

>>When you run bash before starting the daemons you said you see these
>>mounts instead:
> I goofed, and didn't initially notice the difference between (user)
> and (auto) in the mount command response. When I do the mount manually
> to correct for the missing mount, it shows (user).

Do the mounts resurrect correctly via "mount -a"?

> When I reboot and run bash first, I see (auto) as expected.
> /etc/fstab is empty (except for comments), as is /etc/fstab.d

Do you get things back to working state by closing all Cygwin
applications, then stopping all Cygwin services and then starting bash?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20 18:45                     ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-20 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

ASSI wrote:

> Those should see the following mount points according to cygcheck3.out:
>
> C:\cygwin        /          system  binary,auto
> C:\cygwin\bin    /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
> C:\cygwin\lib    /usr/lib   system  binary,auto
> cygdrive prefix  /cygdrive  user    binary,auto
>
> and since they appear to be working correctly (but check the logfiles)
> one can assume that these mounts are present.

I modified /etc/exports to read
/ (ro,no_root_squash)
/usr/bin (ro,no_root_squash)
/usr/lib (ro,no_root_squash)
and then tried a mount.
I was surprised that I could not mount /usr/bin, but I could mount /bin.
(Is that correct? Why?)
And, by the way, I saw nothing unusual in the windows logs.

50:/root # mount 192.168.1.40:/usr/bin /mnt

@ 2012-06-20 18:55                         ` richw
From: richw @ 2012-06-20 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

So the domain is "." and the account "nfs"?

I have no idea what .\nfs means. I'm just reporting what services reports.

>>Those should see the following mount points according to cygcheck3.out:
> I don't have /usr/bin or /usr/lib in exports, but I think you are
> saying that if I did, I could access them via NFS.

Maybe.  It could be worth a try.

Works, but not as I expected, as in another post (exporting /usr/bin
allowed /bin to be mounted successfully)

>>When you run bash before starting the daemons you said you see these
>>mounts instead:
> I goofed, and didn't initially notice the difference between (user)
> and (auto) in the mount command response. When I do the mount manually
> to correct for the missing mount, it shows (user).

Do the mounts resurrect correctly via "mount -a"?

mount -a does not resurrect mounts.

> When I reboot and run bash first, I see (auto) as expected.
> /etc/fstab is empty (except for comments), as is /etc/fstab.d

Do you get things back to working state by closing all Cygwin
applications, then stopping all Cygwin services and then starting bash?

Yes, this did work. Bash started up normally.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20 18:55                       ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-06-20 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 6/20/2012 8:45 PM, richw wrote:

> ASSI wrote:
>>

>> Those should see the following mount points according to cygcheck3.out:
>>
>> C:\cygwin        /          system  binary,auto
>> C:\cygwin\bin    /usr/bin   system  binary,auto
>> C:\cygwin\lib    /usr/lib   system  binary,auto
>> cygdrive prefix  /cygdrive  user    binary,auto
>>
>> and since they appear to be working correctly (but check the logfiles)
>> one can assume that these mounts are present.
>>

> I modified /etc/exports to read
> / (ro,no_root_squash)
> /usr/bin (ro,no_root_squash)
> /usr/lib (ro,no_root_squash)
> and then tried a mount.
> I was surprised that I could not mount /usr/bin, but I could mount /bin.
> (Is that correct? Why?)

pure guess:  /usr/bin is already a mount point for /bin
there is no real "c:\cygwin\usr\bin"   directory

Regards
Marco

* Re: /bin and /lib mount points occasionally lost
@ 2012-06-20 19:23                       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-06-20 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

richw writes:
> I modified /etc/exports to read
> / (ro,no_root_squash)
> /usr/bin (ro,no_root_squash)
> /usr/lib (ro,no_root_squash)
> and then tried a mount.
> I was surprised that I could not mount /usr/bin, but I could mount /bin.
> (Is that correct? Why?)

It probably means that /usr/lib and /usr/bin aren't mounted as far as
the daemon is concerned.  You can mount /bin since it is a subtree of /
(you should also be able to mount /etc if that hypothesis holds true).

I think that something in the registry is amiss, more specifically if
you log in as yourself you will see the correct built-in mount table in
HKCU and Cygwin mounts them, but if the service user logs in it doesn't.
You only seem to have a system installation key, whereas my cygwin has
both a system and user key.

Then when you later start bash Cygwin already thinks it has everything
mounted when it hasn't.  I suspect you did install Cygwin only for "Just
Me" instead of "All Users".  If so, that is fixed by running setup again
and change this option to "All Users".  If that's not the reason, the
quick fix would be to just provide the standard mount points in
/etc/fstab and then figure out what's going wrong with the registry
later.

Regards,
Achim.