* rename (util-linux 2.21.2)
@ 2013-11-01 19:27 Mariusz WODZICKI
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mariusz WODZICKI @ 2013-11-01 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

I frequently use ``rename''. Today I discovered that the most current
version has a changed syntax:

Usage:
 rename [options] expression replacement file...

 -v, --verbose    explain what is being done
 -V, --version    output version information and exit
 -h, --help       display this help and exit

For years the syntax was:

rename from to file...

and for a reason.

Now, the new ``rename'' is unable to process lots of renaming
scenarios. Its usefulness is greatly diminished as a result. Can we
please revert to the previous syntax?

Mariusz

* Re: rename (util-linux 2.21.2)
@ 2013-11-01 20:09 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2013-11-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Nov 01, 2013 at 12:27:29PM -0700, Mariusz WODZICKI wrote:
>I frequently use ``rename''. Today I discovered that the most current
>version has a changed syntax:
>
>Usage:
> rename [options] expression replacement file...

> -v, --verbose    explain what is being done
> -V, --version    output version information and exit
> -h, --help       display this help and exit
>
>For years the syntax was:
>
>rename from to file...
>
>and for a reason.
>
>Now, the new ``rename'' is unable to process lots of renaming
>scenarios. Its usefulness is greatly diminished as a result. Can we
>please revert to the previous syntax?

This is a standard Linux package.  The syntax on Linux is as you see
above.  The package was last updated in November 2012 so this isn't
really new behavior.

If you don't like the behavior then you could write a shell script
wrapper which does what you want.

* Re: rename (util-linux 2.21.2)
@ 2013-11-01 22:55 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2013-11-01 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mariusz WODZICKI writes:
> I frequently use ``rename''. Today I discovered that the most current
> version has a changed syntax:
>
> Usage:
>  rename [options] expression replacement file...

>  -v, --verbose    explain what is being done
>  -V, --version    output version information and exit
>  -h, --help       display this help and exit
>
> For years the syntax was:
>
> rename from to file...
>
> and for a reason.

Is it possible you were for years using the Windows rename, which is now
being shadowed by Cygwin's rename?

..mark

* Re: rename (util-linux 2.21.2)
@ 2013-11-02  8:17 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-11-02  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mariusz WODZICKI writes:
> I frequently use ``rename''. Today I discovered that the most current
> version has a changed syntax:

Exactly why do you think it changed syntax?  Looking at some old and new
Linux manpages and the Git repository, it appears that the only thing
that changed was the monikers for the parameters plus added
documentation for the switches (that had been existing before already:

expression  <=> from
replacement <=> to
file        <=> file

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/utils/util-linux/util-linux.git/commit/?id=03b3d715ded40c44c074300b704be430aafbc1ae

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: rename (util-linux 2.21.2)
@ 2013-11-02 18:40 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-11-02 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mariusz WODZICKI, cygwin

Greetings, Mariusz WODZICKI!

> No, I wasn't using Windows ``ren'' command. Under Windows I was using
> Cygwin's ``rename'' for as long as I can remember (my primary
> experience is in Unix/Linux territory).

"ren" is a short version of a command, which full name is "rename".

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: rename (util-linux 2.21.2)
@ 2013-11-02  7:40 Mariusz WODZICKI
From: Mariusz WODZICKI @ 2013-11-02  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin List

No, I wasn't using Windows ``ren'' command. Under Windows I was using
Cygwin's ``rename'' for as long as I can remember (my primary
experience is in Unix/Linux territory).

Mariusz Wodzicki