* stow package missing dependency
@ 2019-12-20 15:21 Leonard, Christopher
From: Leonard, Christopher @ 2019-12-20 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

stow needs perl-Stow to run, get an error like "Can't locate Stow.pm in @INC ..." without it on most stow commands, but it is not currently a dependency of stow.

It looks like this has happened before, not sure if this is the same problem or a reoccurring problem. https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2017-11/msg00118.html

Kind regards,
Chris Leonard

* Re: stow package missing dependency
@ 2019-12-20 19:11 ` Andrew Schulman via cygwin
From: Andrew Schulman via cygwin @ 2019-12-20 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> stow needs perl-Stow to run, get an error like "Can't locate Stow.pm in @INC ..." without it on most stow commands, but it is not currently a dependency of stow.

Hi. Hm, sorry about that. Yes, stow does depend on perl-Stow, which is just
a Perl package split out of the build from the same source. But I see that
cygport didn't find it as a dependency, so it didn't make it into the
dependency list.

Yaakov, any thoughts on why cygport didn't spot perl-Stow as a dependency
of stow? I just rebuilt stow and found the same thing:

>>> stow requires: perl-Scalar-List-Utils perl_base
>>> perl-Stow requires: perl_base

Anyway, I'll upload a new version with the dependency included. Thanks for
reporting that.

> It looks like this has happened before, not sure if this is the same problem or a reoccurring problem. https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2017-11/msg00118.html

Different problem, when stow had to be rebuilt for a new Perl version.

Andrew

* Re: stow package missing dependency
@ 2019-12-20 22:43   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-12-20 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman via cygwin writes:
> Hi. Hm, sorry about that. Yes, stow does depend on perl-Stow, which is just
> a Perl package split out of the build from the same source. But I see that
> cygport didn't find it as a dependency, so it didn't make it into the
> dependency list.

Dependencies are not always picked up correctly, especially if they are
created by packaging choices.

> Yaakov, any thoughts on why cygport didn't spot perl-Stow as a dependency
> of stow? I just rebuilt stow and found the same thing:

Any dependency on perl modules is only approximate, as cygport tries to
scan for these itself.  This mostly produces false positives, which are
annoying enough, but can turn out the other way too.

Regards,
Achim.