* Bug report: Core dump with too many args
@ 2018-11-07 13:38 Ole Tange
From: Ole Tange @ 2018-11-07 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I get core dump when running:

$ /bin/echo `seq 1000000`
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This also looks bad:

$ /bin/wc `seq 1000000`
      2 [main] -bash 15396 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL
Hangup

Versions:

$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.4.12(3)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
Licens GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 eller senere <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.

$ /bin/echo --version
echo (GNU coreutils) 8.26
Packaged by Cygwin (8.26-2)
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Brian Fox and Chet Ramey.

$ /bin/wc --version
wc (GNU coreutils) 8.26
Packaged by Cygwin (8.26-2)
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.

Written by Paul Rubin and David MacKenzie.

Kind regards,

Ole Tange
It political advisor
ota@prosa.dk<mailto:ota@prosa.dk>
Encrypted mobile (Signal): +45 28 93 97 98

* Re: Bug report: Core dump with too many args
@ 2018-11-07 15:04 ` Steven Penny
From: Steven Penny @ 2018-11-07 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 13:37:53, Ole Tange wrote:
> I get core dump when running:
>
> $ /bin/echo `seq 1000000`
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> This also looks bad:
>
> $ /bin/wc `seq 1000000`
>       2 [main] -bash 15396 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** fatal error - cmallo=
> c would have returned NULL
> Hangup

Not sure what you are expecting to happen when you provide pathological input to
the shell? For context - Fedora essentially does the same thing:

    $ /bin/echo `seq 1000000`
    Killed

* Re: Bug report: Core dump with too many args
@ 2018-11-07 19:36 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-11-07 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ole Tange writes:
> I get core dump when running:
>
> $ /bin/echo `seq 1000000`
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> This also looks bad:
>
> $ /bin/wc `seq 1000000`
>       2 [main] -bash 15396 C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe: *** fatal error - cmalloc would have returned NULL
> Hangup

They both just segfault with a stacktrace on my work laptop.  OTOH, both
succeed on our server, which admittedly has much more physical memory
(128GB), with lots of it free while I ran the commands.

So I guess the only real complaint is that the out-of-memory condition
should take precedence over other faults, or did you have something else
in mind?

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: