* Broken file in ALL cygwin mirrors report! socat-debuginfo
@ 2018-10-19 16:31 hno
From: hno @ 2018-10-19 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi, recently I have been trying to download/install all current  ("default") cygwin packages  aka do so called full install (yes, I know it advised not to do so, however it is only for testing  purposes/statistics). All went well except THIS ONLY bad file socat-debuginfo-1.7.3.1-1.tar. located in "(mirror)\x86_64\release\socat  This particular file is 0 (zero) bytes size across ALL mirrors, and the cygwin istaller reports  error during install ("Can't open file for reading (...) Unrecognisable file format").   Please if someone could fix this error or forward this message to proper person.   P.S.: I have done only "current" version test - there may be some other broken zero  lenght files across mirrors in the past or future packages, but I haven't checked that.

* Re: Broken file in ALL cygwin mirrors report! socat-debuginfo
@ 2018-10-19 16:45 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-10-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 19.10.2018 um 18:30 schrieb hno:
> Hi, recently I have been trying to download/install all current  ("default") cygwin packages  aka do so called full install (yes, I know it advised not to do so, however it is only for testing  purposes/statistics). All went well except THIS ONLY bad file socat-debuginfo-1.7.3.1-1.tar. located in "(mirror)\x86_64\release\socat  This particular file is 0 (zero) bytes size across ALL mirrors, and the cygwin istaller reports  error during install ("Can't open file for reading (...) Unrecognisable file format").   Please if someone could fix this error or forward this message to proper person.   P.S.: I have done only "current" version test - there may be some other broken zero  lenght files across mirrors in the past or future packages, but I haven't checked that.

I replaced the 0 bytes file with a proper empty tar.xz file in both x86
and x86_64 trees.

It will take some hours for the "calm" system to take note of the
change and update the setup.ini

Regards
Marco

---

* Re: Broken file in ALL cygwin mirrors report! socat-debuginfo
@ 2018-10-20 14:03   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2018-10-20 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Am 19.10.2018 um 18:30 schrieb hno:
> > Hi, recently I have been trying to download/install all current  ("default") cygwin packages  aka do so called full install (yes, I know it advised not to do so, however it is only for testing  purposes/statistics). All went well except THIS ONLY bad file socat-debuginfo-1.7.3.1-1.tar. located in
"(mirror)\x86_64\release\socat  This particular file is 0 (zero) bytes size across ALL mirrors, and the cygwin istaller reports  error during install ("Can't open file for reading (...) Unrecognisable file format").   Please if someone could fix this error or forward this message to proper person.   P.S.: I have
done only "current" version test - there may be some other broken zero  lenght files across mirrors in the past or future packages, but I haven't che
>  cked that.
> >

> I replaced the 0 bytes file with a proper empty tar.xz file in both x86
> and x86_64 trees.

Thanks Marco. Not sure what happened there.
Andrew

* Re: Broken file in ALL cygwin mirrors report! socat-debuginfo
@ 2018-10-20 14:59     ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-10-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 20.10.2018 um 16:03 schrieb Andrew Schulman:
>> Am 19.10.2018 um 18:30 schrieb hno:
>>
>> I replaced the 0 bytes file with a proper empty tar.xz file in both x86
>> and x86_64 trees.
>
> Thanks Marco. Not sure what happened there.
> Andrew

my guess is that originally 1.7.3.1-1 had no debuginfo
and when you started to upload the test series with
debuginfo an empty file was added to fool "genini" or "calm".

However setup requires an empty compressed tar file.
there are several empty tar of size "32" byte in the
repository

for 64 bit

$ grep ^install setup.ini | grep " 32 " | wc -l
300

Regards
Marco

---

* Re: Broken file in ALL cygwin mirrors report! socat-debuginfo
@ 2018-10-20 16:03       ` Houder
From: Houder @ 2018-10-20 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 16:59:16, Marco Atzeri wrote:
[snip]
..

> However setup requires an empty compressed tar file.
> there are several empty tar of size "32" byte in the
> repository
>
> for 64 bit
>
> $ grep ^install setup.ini | grep " 32 " | wc -l
> 300

tar file?

... uhm, just as an additional note to your post:

64-@@ grep ^install: setup.ini | grep " 108 " | wc -l
1065
(real tar files (empty), compressed using xz)

If the empty "tar file" is created like this:

64-@@ touch empty.tar (an empty file, but not a tarball!)
64-@@ xz empty.tar

one will get files of size 32 bytes ...

However:

64-@@ tar cJf empty.tar.xz --files-from=/dev/null
      (or: tar cJfT empty.tar.bz2 /dev/null)

one will get files of size 108 bytes (of real tar files).

The latter ones will properly untar, but not the files of size 32.

(yes, in both cases, no files will be produced)

Regards,
Henri

* Re: Broken file in ALL cygwin mirrors report! socat-debuginfo
@ 2018-10-20 16:58         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-10-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 20.10.2018 um 18:03 schrieb Houder:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 16:59:16, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> [snip]
> ..
>
>> However setup requires an empty compressed tar file.
>> there are several empty tar of size "32" byte in the
>> repository
>>
>> for 64 bit
>>
>> $ grep ^install setup.ini | grep " 32 " | wc -l
>> 300
>
> tar file?
>
> ... uhm, just as an additional note to your post:
>
> 64-@@ grep ^install: setup.ini | grep " 108 " | wc -l
> 1065
> (real tar files (empty), compressed using xz)
>
> If the empty "tar file" is created like this:
>
> 64-@@ touch empty.tar (an empty file, but not a tarball!)
> 64-@@ xz empty.tar
>
> one will get files of size 32 bytes ...
>
> However:
>
> 64-@@ tar cJf empty.tar.xz --files-from=/dev/null
>        (or: tar cJfT empty.tar.bz2 /dev/null)
>
> one will get files of size 108 bytes (of real tar files).
>
> The latter ones will properly untar, but not the files of size 32.
>
> (yes, in both cases, no files will be produced)
>
> Regards,
> Henri

I know, it is the uncompress phase that complains on empty
file. tar and setup accept both versions

Regards
Marco

---

* Re: Broken file in ALL cygwin mirrors report! socat-debuginfo
@ 2018-10-20 17:07         ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-10-20 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Houder writes:
> The latter ones will properly untar, but not the files of size 32.

There is a special branch in setup that accepts this particular case for
historical reasons.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: