* Setup request
@ 2018-01-28  1:31 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2018-01-28  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

To keep up to date, every day when booting I automatically update Cygwin
with the following in a startup batch file.

setup -B -q -n -o -R <path> -l <path>

Even when nothing is updated, setup seems to rebase and run all the
/etc/postinstall/zp_* files.

This seems unnecessary.  If that is correct, would it be possible to have
setup always skip rebase & zp_* when not packages are updated, or
at least have a command line option to skip rebase and running zp_*?

I'm not a developer, so I cannot contribute a patch.  Sorry.

Thanks for considering this.

- Barry

* Re: Setup request
@ 2018-01-28  6:50 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-01-28  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] writes:
> Even when nothing is updated, setup seems to rebase and run all the
> /etc/postinstall/zp_* files.

This is exactly as intended.

> This seems unnecessary.

It isn't.  There is no way to know if there have been any changes made
either by a previous run of setup that didn't complete or from outside
setup that needs attention.  These scripts are intended to expend the
least possible effort to check if there is something to do and exit at
the earliest moment.

Regards,
Achim.