* Group execute permission regression (??): causing problem in fossil.
@ 2015-02-06 16:22 Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2015-02-06 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All,

Starting with the upgrade to Cygwin (latest: 1.7.34), fossil started to
behave strangely: Every file committed to a fossil repository suddenly
had the execute permission bit set! With 1.7.33 this didn't happen.
The cause of this problem was that apparently starting with Cygwin
1.7.34, the group permission bit in some directories is always set, and
cannot be unset. For example from my checked-out fossil repository:

    nijtmaj <path>/workspace/fossil
    $ ls -la .fossil-settings
    total 20
    drwxrwxr-x+ 1 nijtmaj None   0 Feb  6 16:48 .
    drwxrwxr-x+ 1 nijtmaj None   0 Feb  6 16:48 ..
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None 140 Feb  6 16:48 clean-glob
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None  55 Feb  6 16:48 encoding-glob
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None  61 Feb  6 16:48 ignore-glob
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None  61 Feb  6 16:48 keep-glob

    nijtmaj <path>/workspace/fossil
    $ chmod a-x .fossil-settings/*

    nijtmaj <path>/workspace/fossil
    $ ls -la .fossil-settings
    total 20
    drwxrwxr-x+ 1 nijtmaj None   0 Feb  6 16:48 .
    drwxrwxr-x+ 1 nijtmaj None   0 Feb  6 16:48 ..
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None 140 Feb  6 16:48 clean-glob
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None  55 Feb  6 16:48 encoding-glob
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None  61 Feb  6 16:48 ignore-glob
    -rw-rwxr--+ 1 nijtmaj None  61 Feb  6 16:48 keep-glob

For some reason, the group execute permission bit of those
files is always set, and cannot be unset.

When fossil commits a file, it looks at the current file
permissions (either user, group or other) here:
      <http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/artifact/6c218bb03870305f?ln=253>
that's where the sudden change comes from.

A workaround for this problem is committed in fossil now, but it's puzzling
to me why this happens. Not all directories behave like this, so it
probably has a relation with permissions .......

Hoping someone can shine a light on that!

Regards,
      Jan Nijtmans

* Re: Group execute permission regression (??): causing problem in fossil.
@ 2015-02-06 16:35 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-02-06 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb  6 17:22, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Starting with the upgrade to Cygwin (latest: 1.7.34), fossil started to
> behave strangely: Every file committed to a fossil repository suddenly
> had the execute permission bit set! With 1.7.33 this didn't happen.
> The cause of this problem was that apparently starting with Cygwin
> 1.7.34, the group permission bit in some directories is always set, and
> cannot be unset.

https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-02/msg00009.html
https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.ssh-pubkey-stops-working

Does that help?

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: Group execute permission regression (??): causing problem in fossil.
@ 2015-02-06 16:54 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-02-06 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jan Nijtmans writes:
> Starting with the upgrade to Cygwin (latest: 1.7.34), fossil started to
> behave strangely: Every file committed to a fossil repository suddenly
> had the execute permission bit set! With 1.7.33 this didn't happen.
> The cause of this problem was that apparently starting with Cygwin
> 1.7.34, the group permission bit in some directories is always set, and
> cannot be unset. For example from my checked-out fossil repository:

Most likely default permissions foisted by Windows via ACL (note that +
character after the permission string from ls?).  Try 'setfacl -b'

> A workaround for this problem is committed in fossil now, but it's puzzling
> to me why this happens. Not all directories behave like this, so it
> probably has a relation with permissions .......

Instead of workarounds, teach fossil to understand ACL.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Group execute permission regression (??): causing problem in fossil.
@ 2015-02-06 17:22   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-02-06 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Feb  6 17:54, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Jan Nijtmans writes:
> > Starting with the upgrade to Cygwin (latest: 1.7.34), fossil started to
> > behave strangely: Every file committed to a fossil repository suddenly
> > had the execute permission bit set! With 1.7.33 this didn't happen.
> > The cause of this problem was that apparently starting with Cygwin
> > 1.7.34, the group permission bit in some directories is always set, and
> > cannot be unset. For example from my checked-out fossil repository:
>
> Most likely default permissions foisted by Windows via ACL (note that +
> character after the permission string from ls?).  Try 'setfacl -b'

...or setfacl -k for the directories only.  Don't forget the option
I implemented just because you asked for it :)

@ 2015-02-06 17:46     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-02-06 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> ...or setfacl -k for the directories only.  Don't forget the option
> I implemented just because you asked for it :)

Sure. ;-) But without the ACl we don't know and 'setfacl -b' is a bit
safer.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Group execute permission regression (??): causing problem in fossil.
@ 2015-02-06 19:59   ` Jan Nijtmans
From: Jan Nijtmans @ 2015-02-06 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-02/msg00009.html
> https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.ssh-pubkey-stops-working
>
> Does that help?
>

> Corinna

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Thank You!

@ 2015-02-09  9:23     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-02-09  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin