* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Test: gcc-11.3.1+20230310-0.1
@ 2023-03-11 18:50 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-03-11 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The native Gcc compilers have been updated to the latest upstream
snapshot version of the gcc-11 branch:

 gcc-11.3.1+20230310

This release includes libgccjit as a separate package for the native
toolchain.  Since Cygwin does not yet enable ASLR by default, any
nontrivial dynamic objects that are created in this way will likely need
to get rebased before they can be used.  It is unlikely that build
systems recognize the need for doing that at the moment.

For this build, the Ada compiler has been re-enabled (bootstrapped via
the 7.4.0 version of the Cygwin packages and the 11.3.1+20230303
snapshot) and the D compiler has been added to the build.  No testing
beyond the compiler testsuite has been done for both languages.

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Test: gcc-11.3.1+20230310-0.1
@ 2023-03-13 21:00 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2023-03-13 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/11/2023 1:50 PM, Achim Gratz via Cygwin wrote:

> The native Gcc compilers have been updated to the latest upstream
> snapshot version of the gcc-11 branch:
>
>   gcc-11.3.1+20230310

Thanks!

I've given it a pretty good workout with builds of Emacs and TeX Live,
and everything seems good so far.

> This release includes libgccjit as a separate package for the native
> toolchain.  Since Cygwin does not yet enable ASLR by default, any
> nontrivial dynamic objects that are created in this way will likely need
> to get rebased before they can be used.  It is unlikely that build
> systems recognize the need for doing that at the moment.

FYI, following a suggestion made by Corinna on IRC, I'm building all the
Emacs libraries (.eln files as well as tree-sitter grammar libs) with
ASLR enabled and no rebasing.  I have about 400 of these libraries on my
system.  I've been doing this for about a month without any fork failures.

Ken

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Test: gcc-11.3.1+20230310-0.1
@ 2023-03-14 17:44   ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2023-03-14 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown via Cygwin writes:
> On 3/11/2023 1:50 PM, Achim Gratz via Cygwin wrote:
>> The native Gcc compilers have been updated to the latest upstream
>> snapshot version of the gcc-11 branch:
>>   gcc-11.3.1+20230310
>
> I've given it a pretty good workout with builds of Emacs and TeX Live,
> and everything seems good so far.

Thank you for taking the time to test it.

>> This release includes libgccjit as a separate package for the native
>> toolchain.  Since Cygwin does not yet enable ASLR by default, any
>> nontrivial dynamic objects that are created in this way will likely need
>> to get rebased before they can be used.  It is unlikely that build
>> systems recognize the need for doing that at the moment.
>
> FYI, following a suggestion made by Corinna on IRC, I'm building all
> the Emacs libraries (.eln files as well as tree-sitter grammar libs)
> with ASLR enabled and no rebasing.  I have about 400 of these
> libraries on my system.  I've been doing this for about a month
> without any fork failures.

The real test is to see what happens when a collision does occur.  In
WinXP times the only reliable way out was a reboot when that happened…
which is why I gave up at the time.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: