* gnuplot dollar sign and command line arguments
       [not found] <1759739558.1598055.1516390377125.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-01-19 19:33 ` George Prekas via cygwin
From: George Prekas via cygwin @ 2018-01-19 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I noticed that gnuplot is configured with the flag --enable-backwards-compatibility in file gnuplot-5.2.2-1.cygport downloaded from http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/cygwin/x86/release/gnuplot/gnuplot-5.2.2-1-src.tar.xz. This flag causes the following test case to behave differently under Cygwin and Ubuntu:

ubuntu$ echo 'print "$0"' > x
ubuntu$ gnuplot -c x 1
$0

cygwin$ echo 'print "$0"' > x
cygwin$ gnuplot -c x 1
1

More specifically the flag --enable-backwards-compatibility enables the backward compatible expansion of dollar sign expressions to command line arguments in gnuplot source files. Is there any specific reason that Cygwin chooses to enable this flag?

Regards,
George Prekas

* Re: gnuplot dollar sign and command line arguments
@ 2018-04-09 17:50   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-04-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

George Prekas via cygwin writes:
> More specifically the flag --enable-backwards-compatibility enables
> the backward compatible expansion of dollar sign expressions to
> command line arguments in gnuplot source files. Is there any specific
> reason that Cygwin chooses to enable this flag?

To be backwards compatible to existing gnuplot scripts, perhaps?  This
flag was in fact set by the previous maintainer and I've not heard any
good reason why I should change it.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld: