* Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-16 14:21 Robert Pace
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Robert Pace @ 2015-10-16 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I downloaded the very latest setup-x86_64.exe and setup-x86.exe from
www.cygwin.com yesterday (version 2.872). I started trying to install
the 64bit version of cygwin and selected "download only".  I chose a
mirror from the list, and the download concluded fine.  I then re-ran
the setup application and chose "install from local directory" and
selected the folder which held the downloaded files.  The setup
application then halts installation due to a missing setup.ini.sig.  I
downloaded the setup application again, and chose a different mirror
site and and had the setup application save to a different folder.
Again the installation failed due to setup.ini.sig.  I tried three
more different mirror sites with the same problem.  I then tried using
the 32bit setup application and again received the same missing
setup.ini.sig error.  I read that one can also try running the setup
application with the -X argument which setup the subfolders for the
cygwin directory but did not populate them with any of the packages.

I am running Windows 10 Professional (64bit) build 10565.

I did install an older version of Cygwin which I had downloaded back
in January 2015 without issue.  Indicating that there is an issue with
the latest cygwin setup application.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-16 16:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-10-16 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pace, cygwin

Greetings, Robert Pace!

> I downloaded the very latest setup-x86_64.exe and setup-x86.exe from
> www.cygwin.com yesterday (version 2.872). I started trying to install
> the 64bit version of cygwin and selected "download only".  I chose a
> mirror from the list, and the download concluded fine.  I then re-ran
> the setup application and chose "install from local directory" and
> selected the folder which held the downloaded files.  The setup
> application then halts installation due to a missing setup.ini.sig.  I
> downloaded the setup application again, and chose a different mirror
> site and and had the setup application save to a different folder.
> Again the installation failed due to setup.ini.sig.  I tried three
> more different mirror sites with the same problem.  I then tried using
> the 32bit setup application and again received the same missing
> setup.ini.sig error.  I read that one can also try running the setup
> application with the -X argument which setup the subfolders for the
> cygwin directory but did not populate them with any of the packages.

> I am running Windows 10 Professional (64bit) build 10565.

> I did install an older version of Cygwin which I had downloaded back
> in January 2015 without issue.  Indicating that there is an issue with
> the latest cygwin setup application.

I can confirm the issue.

---------------------------
Cygwin Setup
---------------------------
Unable to get
...\cygwin\install/http%3a%2f%2fftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de%2fpub%2fMirrors%2fsources.redhat.com%2fcygwinports%2f//x86_64/setup.ini.sig
from <localdir>
---------------------------
ОК
---------------------------

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-16 20:53 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-16 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Pace writes:
> I downloaded the very latest setup-x86_64.exe and setup-x86.exe from
> www.cygwin.com yesterday (version 2.872). I started trying to install
> the 64bit version of cygwin and selected "download only".  I chose a
> mirror from the list, and the download concluded fine.  I then re-ran
> the setup application and chose "install from local directory" and
> selected the folder which held the downloaded files.  The setup
> application then halts installation due to a missing setup.ini.sig.

Could you check if the setup.ini.sig file is just not stored to disk and
that setup would commence installing if you downloaded it manually and
put alongside the setup.ini file?

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-16 21:18   ` Robert Pace
From: Robert Pace @ 2015-10-16 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I can verify that the setup.ini.sig is not stored in the download
folder.  I earlier today downloaded the setup.ini.sig from the mirror
site and put that file in the mirror folder and it complained that the
setup.ini was corrupt.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:
> Robert Pace writes:
>> I downloaded the very latest setup-x86_64.exe and setup-x86.exe from
>> www.cygwin.com yesterday (version 2.872). I started trying to install
>> the 64bit version of cygwin and selected "download only".  I chose a
>> mirror from the list, and the download concluded fine.  I then re-ran
>> the setup application and chose "install from local directory" and
>> selected the folder which held the downloaded files.  The setup
>> application then halts installation due to a missing setup.ini.sig.
>
> Could you check if the setup.ini.sig file is just not stored to disk and
> that setup would commence installing if you downloaded it manually and
> put alongside the setup.ini file?
>

> Regards,
> Achim.
> --
> +<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+
>
> Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:
> http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#KomplexerWaves
>
> --

Robert Pace
Cell: (606) 621-9012
Moore #125 Spatial Data Research Lab
EKU Herbarium Memorial Science #170
robert_pace3@mymail.eku.edu
robert.pace@eku.edu
http://people.eku.edu/pacer/
Richmond, KY
USA

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-16 21:29   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-16 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/16/2015 4:52 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Robert Pace writes:
>> I downloaded the very latest setup-x86_64.exe and setup-x86.exe from
>> www.cygwin.com yesterday (version 2.872). I started trying to install
>> the 64bit version of cygwin and selected "download only".  I chose a
>> mirror from the list, and the download concluded fine.  I then re-ran
>> the setup application and chose "install from local directory" and
>> selected the folder which held the downloaded files.  The setup
>> application then halts installation due to a missing setup.ini.sig.
>
> Could you check if the setup.ini.sig file is just not stored to disk and
> that setup would commence installing if you downloaded it manually and
> put alongside the setup.ini file?

Is there a new requirement that a local repository has to have a
signature file?  And does it have to be setup.ini.sig (rather than, for
example, setup.bz2.sig)?

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17  7:20     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-17  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Pace writes:
> I can verify that the setup.ini.sig is not stored in the download
> folder.  I earlier today downloaded the setup.ini.sig from the mirror
> site and put that file in the mirror folder and it complained that the
> setup.ini was corrupt.

Can you put both setup.ini and setup.ini.sig there (or setup.bz2 and
setup.bz2.sig), from the same mirror and downloaded at the same time?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17  7:28     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-17  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
>> Could you check if the setup.ini.sig file is just not stored to disk and
>> that setup would commence installing if you downloaded it manually and
>> put alongside the setup.ini file?
>
> Is there a new requirement that a local repository has to have a
> signature file?  And does it have to be setup.ini.sig (rather than,
> for example, setup.bz2.sig)?

You can always tell it to not check the signature (--no-verify / -X),
but if the directory you set it upon looks like a mirror and has a setup
file, then it will by default want to check the signature (belonging to
the actual suffix used: .xz, .bz2 and lastly .ini).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 11:15       ` Nicolas Roche
From: Nicolas Roche @ 2015-10-17 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> You can always tell it to not check the signature (--no-verify / -X),
> but if the directory you set it upon looks like a mirror and has a setup
> file, then it will by default want to check the signature (belonging to
> the actual suffix used: .xz, .bz2 and lastly .ini).

Even with -X the installation from local directory does not work.
In semi-attended mode I can see that the installer does not see any of the
local packages. So the installer just  create the c:/cygwin directory
but do nothing more.

This was working before the update of the 16th of October

Nicolas

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 12:13       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-17 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/17/2015 3:28 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>>> Could you check if the setup.ini.sig file is just not stored to disk and
>>> that setup would commence installing if you downloaded it manually and
>>> put alongside the setup.ini file?
>>
>> Is there a new requirement that a local repository has to have a
>> signature file?  And does it have to be setup.ini.sig (rather than,
>> for example, setup.bz2.sig)?
>
> You can always tell it to not check the signature (--no-verify / -X),
> but if the directory you set it upon looks like a mirror and has a setup
> file, then it will by default want to check the signature (belonging to
> the actual suffix used: .xz, .bz2 and lastly .ini).

I maintain my own small repository at a remote site and mirror it on my local
machine.  It contains, for each architecture, setup.ini, setup.xz, and
setup.xz.sig.  Installation from the remote site works fine.  If I try to
install from my local mirror, setup complains that it can't find setup.ini.sig.
  I can install from the local mirror only if I add setup.ini.sig.

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 14:19         ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/17/2015 8:13 AM, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> Is there a new requirement that a local repository has to have a
>>> signature file?  And does it have to be setup.ini.sig (rather than,
>>> for example, setup.bz2.sig)?
>>
>> You can always tell it to not check the signature (--no-verify / -X),
>> but if the directory you set it upon looks like a mirror and has a setup
>> file, then it will by default want to check the signature (belonging to
>> the actual suffix used: .xz, .bz2 and lastly .ini).
>
> I maintain my own small repository at a remote site and mirror it on my local
> machine.  It contains, for each architecture, setup.ini, setup.xz, and
> setup.xz.sig.  Installation from the remote site works fine.  If I try to
> install from my local mirror, setup complains that it can't find setup.ini.sig.
>   I can install from the local mirror only if I add setup.ini.sig.

And even then, setup doesn't seem to work right on the local mirror.  The only
choices it gives me on the local packages are "Keep" and "Uninstall".

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 17:06           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-17 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
>> I maintain my own small repository at a remote site and mirror it on my local
>> machine.  It contains, for each architecture, setup.ini, setup.xz, and
>> setup.xz.sig.  Installation from the remote site works fine.  If I try to
>> install from my local mirror, setup complains that it can't find setup.ini.sig.
>>   I can install from the local mirror only if I add setup.ini.sig.

I install also from a local mirror, not signed ini files (yet) and I
haven't had any problems.  I happen to have installed a new machine just
this week so I know this also works OK.  If there is a setup.xz,
setup.ini shouldn't even be looked at and consequently no setup.ini.xz
file should be required.

> And even then, setup doesn't seem to work right on the local mirror.
> The only choices it gives me on the local packages are "Keep" and
> "Uninstall".

That would indicate it hasn't actually found any packages in whatever it
used as setup.ini.  What's your directory layout?  I can't make any
sense of what's happening for you.  Your local mirror should look like:

mirror
 /x86
   /setup.xz
   /setup.xz.sig
 /x86_64
   /setup.xz
   /setup.xz.sig

and setup should be pointed at "mirror".

I've just went through a whole battery of testing setup in both local
mirror mode, both using my usual scripts and via a shortcut to add an
"-mX" option to the invocation.  Leaving out the "-X" has setup complain
about the missing signature as intended.  Everything else works
correctly for me.

For download-only mode, setup doesn't write the signature file to disk,
so that will have to be corrected.

Oh and another thing: I always compile my own setup.exe, so if you can
do that  to see if it makes a difference for you?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 18:30             ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-17 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/17/2015 1:06 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>>> I maintain my own small repository at a remote site and mirror it on my local
>>> machine.  It contains, for each architecture, setup.ini, setup.xz, and
>>> setup.xz.sig.  Installation from the remote site works fine.  If I try to
>>> install from my local mirror, setup complains that it can't find setup.ini.sig.
>>>    I can install from the local mirror only if I add setup.ini.sig.
>
> I install also from a local mirror, not signed ini files (yet) and I
> haven't had any problems.  I happen to have installed a new machine just
> this week so I know this also works OK.  If there is a setup.xz,
> setup.ini shouldn't even be looked at and consequently no setup.ini.xz
> file should be required.
>
>> And even then, setup doesn't seem to work right on the local mirror.
>> The only choices it gives me on the local packages are "Keep" and
>> "Uninstall".
>
> That would indicate it hasn't actually found any packages in whatever it
> used as setup.ini.  What's your directory layout?  I can't make any
> sense of what's happening for you.  Your local mirror should look like:
>
> mirror
>   /x86
>     /setup.xz
>     /setup.xz.sig
>   /x86_64
>     /setup.xz
>     /setup.xz.sig
>
> and setup should be pointed at "mirror".

OK, doing it that way works.  But if I add setup.ini alongside setup.xz and
setup.xz.sig, then setup complains about not finding setup.ini.sig.

Also, having to point setup at "mirror" is a major change from the way local
installs used to work.  I have the following structure:

download directory
   http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f/
   http...
   http...
   mirror

and I have always pointed setup at "download directory" for a local install.  In
the past, this would then pick up the packages from all the http directories as
well as from "mirror".  Was it a deliberate change that this no longer works?
This change is probably what's behind the problem the others in this thread have
reported.

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 19:09               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-17 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> OK, doing it that way works.  But if I add setup.ini alongside
> setup.xz and setup.xz.sig, then setup complains about not finding
> setup.ini.sig.

It shouldn't, at least not without complaining about a missing
setup.xz.sig first.  Does it make a difference if you use the "-m"
switch?

> Also, having to point setup at "mirror" is a major change from the way
> local installs used to work.  I have the following structure:
>
> download directory
>   http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f/
>   http...
>   http...
>   mirror
>
> and I have always pointed setup at "download directory" for a local
> install.  In the past, this would then pick up the packages from all
> the http directories as well as from "mirror".  Was it a deliberate
> change that this no longer works? This change is probably what's
> behind the problem the others in this thread have reported.

No, that is explicitly supported (multiple mirrors), setup iterates
through the mirror list (first level of your download directory) in this
case.  I've just tested again that this works for me, with my local
Cygwin+Cygport mirror.  They work as expected with (adding the
ports.pgp) and without (using the "-X" switch).

All your subdirectories should have the structure discussed previously.
Please pay attention as to what files setup actually complains about
(for instance if it cannot read or decompress setup.bz or doesn't find
the signature file in one mirror, it will try to use setup.ini as
fallback).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 21:14         ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2015-10-17 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 17/10/15 13:13, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> Is there a new requirement that a local repository has to have a
>>> signature file?  And does it have to be setup.ini.sig (rather than,
>>> for example, setup.bz2.sig)?
>>
>> You can always tell it to not check the signature (--no-verify / -X),
>> but if the directory you set it upon looks like a mirror and has a setup
>> file, then it will by default want to check the signature (belonging to
>> the actual suffix used: .xz, .bz2 and lastly .ini).
>
> I maintain my own small repository at a remote site and mirror it on
> my local machine.  It contains, for each architecture, setup.ini,
> setup.xz, and setup.xz.sig.  Installation from the remote site works
> fine.  If I try to install from my local mirror, setup complains that
> it can't find setup.ini.sig.  I can install from the local mirror only
> if I add setup.ini.sig.

Same here. I maintain a local mirror and use my own setup.ini files
(created with genini); these do not have 'sig' files. Directory
structure is as follows:

cygwin-2015-10-16
   /cygwin
     /x86
     /x86_64
   /cygwinports
     /noarch
     /x86
     /x86_64

The 'setup.ini' files are located in the 'x86' and 'x86_64' directories;
setup is pointed at the 'cygwin-2015-10-16' directory. Eventually
managed to install using an older version of setup that I had downloaded
previously.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-17 22:20           ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-17 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/17/2015 5:14 PM, David Stacey wrote:
> On 17/10/15 13:13, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> You can always tell it to not check the signature (--no-verify / -X),
>>> but if the directory you set it upon looks like a mirror and has a setup
>>> file, then it will by default want to check the signature (belonging to
>>> the actual suffix used: .xz, .bz2 and lastly .ini).
>>
>> I maintain my own small repository at a remote site and mirror it on my local
>> machine.  It contains, for each architecture, setup.ini, setup.xz, and
>> setup.xz.sig.  Installation from the remote site works fine.  If I try to
>> install from my local mirror, setup complains that it can't find
>> setup.ini.sig.  I can install from the local mirror only if I add setup.ini.sig.
>
> Same here. I maintain a local mirror and use my own setup.ini files (created
> with genini); these do not have 'sig' files. Directory structure is as follows:
>
> cygwin-2015-10-16
>    /cygwin
>      /x86
>      /x86_64
>    /cygwinports
>      /noarch
>      /x86
>      /x86_64
>
> The 'setup.ini' files are located in the 'x86' and 'x86_64' directories; setup
> is pointed at the 'cygwin-2015-10-16' directory. Eventually managed to install
> using an older version of setup that I had downloaded previously.

Thanks for the confirmation, Dave.  Since Achim can't reproduce the problem,
maybe we should temporarily forget about local mirrors and go back to the
simpler situation reported by the OP.  I just reproduced that problem in a
simpler form as follows:

1. Download setup-x86.exe from the Cygwin website, and put it in an empty
directory c:/download-test.

2. Run setup-x86.exe.  Choose "Install from Internet".  Choose the nonexistent
c:\cygwin-test as root directory.   Choose c:/download-test as local package
directory.  Choose http://mirrors.kernel.org as the only download site.
Repeatedly click "Next" while setup does a base install.

At this point, the download directory looks like this:

download-test
   setup-x86.exe
   http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f
     x86
       setup.ini
       release
         _autorebase

3. Run setup-x86.exe again, this time choosing "Install from Local Directory".
setup complains that it can't get
c:/download-test/http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f//x86/setup.ini.sig
from <localdir>.  [This is the first bug; if setup expects to find signature
files in local directories, it should save the ones it downloads.]

4. Retry, this time using setup-x86.exe -X.  The "Select Packages" screen lists
all the installed packages, but for each package the only options are "Keep" and
"Uninstall".  [This is the second bug; setup has apparently failed to descend
into http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f.]

5. Repeat, but this time change the local package directory from the default
c:/download-test to
c:/download-test/http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f.  Now
each package has the additional option "Reinstall" (which works).

Achim, can you reproduce this?  Please use the official setup-x86.exe rather
than the one you built, in case your local setup repo is somehow different from
the upstream repo.

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18  2:35             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2015-10-18  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Brown, cygwin

Greetings, Ken Brown!

> 1. Download setup-x86.exe from the Cygwin website, and put it in an empty
> directory c:/download-test.

> 2. Run setup-x86.exe.  Choose "Install from Internet".

Choose "download only".
Makes the test simpler.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

@ 2015-10-18  2:48               ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-18  2:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/17/2015 10:31 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Ken Brown!
>
>> 1. Download setup-x86.exe from the Cygwin website, and put it in an empty
>> directory c:/download-test.
>
>> 2. Run setup-x86.exe.  Choose "Install from Internet".
>
> Choose "download only".
> Makes the test simpler.

I tried that first, but it didn't work.  setup was confused by a previous run
with a different root directory and didn't offer to do a full base install.

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 11:48           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-18 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

David Stacey writes:
> Same here. I maintain a local mirror and use my own setup.ini files
> (created with genini); these do not have 'sig' files. Directory
> structure is as follows:
>
> cygwin-2015-10-16
>   /cygwin
>     /x86
>     /x86_64
>   /cygwinports
>     /noarch
>     /x86
>     /x86_64
>
> The 'setup.ini' files are located in the 'x86' and 'x86_64'
> directories; setup is pointed at the 'cygwin-2015-10-16'
> directory.

If that is the complete directory structure at those two levels then I
don't see how it can't work.  I'm doing exactly the same, save for the
exact directory names.  I'm using the "-mX" switches when invoking
setup.  If you have an x86 or x86_64 directory under cygwin-2015-10-16
however, then setup would never look any further (you can't nest mirror
directories).

Setup does essentially this (and finds the following setup files on my
system when it gets started in the top-level mirror directory, provided
that $arch="x86"):

$ find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -name $arch | \
  xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
  do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done' && \
  find -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name $arch | \
  xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
  do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done'

./cygport/x86/setup.bz2
./cygwin/x86/setup.bz2
./maint/x86/setup.xz
./patch/x86/setup.xz
./perl/x86/setup.ini

What's the result you're getting?

Just in case you want to try the setup.exe I have compiled locally:

wget="wget -rxnH --cut-dirs=1 http://cygwin.stromeko.net";
$wget/x86/setup-x86.exe
$wget/x86_64/setup-x86_64.exe
sha512sum setup*.exe

d22875c8d22fc241499e0e9ff13758770c263590bf5ac4bc919118d15a37a02719fd46f81b8216a4b4e9e09e63e2ea7007c2071856f2cf9a0c8e022afdc40f9e  x86_64/setup-x86_64.exe
ae66fe28b976a5fd59b119c0eddc2a74c77def858debf49890a382b4ddf707a79490b977684abfb92446932f1c710eda12b3b83bf1d7fa291c376c32970f683e  x86/setup-x86.exe

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 13:20             ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-18 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/18/2015 7:47 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> David Stacey writes:
>> Same here. I maintain a local mirror and use my own setup.ini files
>> (created with genini); these do not have 'sig' files. Directory
>> structure is as follows:
>>
>> cygwin-2015-10-16
>>    /cygwin
>>      /x86
>>      /x86_64
>>    /cygwinports
>>      /noarch
>>      /x86
>>      /x86_64
>>
>> The 'setup.ini' files are located in the 'x86' and 'x86_64'
>> directories; setup is pointed at the 'cygwin-2015-10-16'
>> directory.
>
> If that is the complete directory structure at those two levels then I
> don't see how it can't work.  I'm doing exactly the same, save for the
> exact directory names.  I'm using the "-mX" switches when invoking
> setup.

Are you saying you've never tested local installs without the -m switch?  If so,
that explains why you haven't been able to reproduce the problems that several
of us have reported.  I just verified that setup does indeed correctly descend
into subdirectories with the -m switch.

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 13:31               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> Are you saying you've never tested local installs without the -m
> switch?

No, I'm saying that the "-m" switch should reduce the possibility of
setup doing something unwanted, because it eliminates the possibility of
it switching into ad-hoc mode (where it searches the subdirs for
setup.ini and package files to full depth).

> If so, that explains why you haven't been able to reproduce
> the problems that several of us have reported.  I just verified that
> setup does indeed correctly descend into subdirectories with the -m
> switch.

That still doesn't tell me what about your mirror directories triggers
it to not use local mirror mode when not using that switch.  If the
directory structure is correct that is in theory impossible since it
tries mirror mode first and only if it doesn't find a useable setup file
that way would it fall back to ad-hoc mode.  Please run the commands in
my other replay to David Stacey and tell me the result.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 13:47                 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-18 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/18/2015 9:28 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>> Are you saying you've never tested local installs without the -m
>> switch?
>
> No, I'm saying that the "-m" switch should reduce the possibility of
> setup doing something unwanted, because it eliminates the possibility of
> it switching into ad-hoc mode (where it searches the subdirs for
> setup.ini and package files to full depth).
>
>> If so, that explains why you haven't been able to reproduce
>> the problems that several of us have reported.  I just verified that
>> setup does indeed correctly descend into subdirectories with the -m
>> switch.
>
> That still doesn't tell me what about your mirror directories triggers
> it to not use local mirror mode when not using that switch.  If the
> directory structure is correct that is in theory impossible since it
> tries mirror mode first and only if it doesn't find a useable setup file
> that way would it fall back to ad-hoc mode.  Please run the commands in
> my other replay to David Stacey and tell me the result.

$ find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -name $arch | \
 > xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
 > do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done' && \
 > find -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name $arch | \
 > xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
 > do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done'
./http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f/x86/setup.ini
./http%3a%2f%2fsanibeltranquility.com%2fcygwin%2f/x86/setup.ini
./myrepo/x86/setup.xz

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 15:09             ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2015-10-18 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 18/10/2015 12:47, Achim Gratz wrote:
> David Stacey writes:
>> Same here. I maintain a local mirror and use my own setup.ini files
>> (created with genini); these do not have 'sig' files. Directory
>> structure is as follows:
>>
>> cygwin-2015-10-16
>>    /cygwin
>>      /x86
>>      /x86_64
>>    /cygwinports
>>      /noarch
>>      /x86
>>      /x86_64
>>
>> The 'setup.ini' files are located in the 'x86' and 'x86_64'
>> directories; setup is pointed at the 'cygwin-2015-10-16'
>> directory.
> If that is the complete directory structure at those two levels then I
> don't see how it can't work.  I'm doing exactly the same, save for the
> exact directory names.  I'm using the "-mX" switches when invoking
> setup.  If you have an x86 or x86_64 directory under cygwin-2015-10-16
> however, then setup would never look any further (you can't nest mirror
> directories).
>
> Setup does essentially this (and finds the following setup files on my
> system when it gets started in the top-level mirror directory, provided
> that $arch="x86"):
>
> $ find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -name $arch | \
>    xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
>    do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done' && \
>    find -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name $arch | \
>    xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
>    do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done'
>
> ./cygport/x86/setup.bz2
> ./cygwin/x86/setup.bz2
> ./maint/x86/setup.xz
> ./patch/x86/setup.xz
> ./perl/x86/setup.ini
>
> What's the result you're getting?

Thank you for your help. Here is the output from running your command:

For arch="x86":
     ./cygwin/x86/setup.ini
     ./cygwinports/x86/setup.ini

For arch="x86_64":
     ./cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini
     ./cygwinports/x86_64/setup.ini

This is as described above by my ASCII art. I have been using this
directory structure successfully with previous versions of setup. Is
this layout incorrect?

Dave.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 15:38                   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-18 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/18/2015 9:47 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 10/18/2015 9:28 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Ken Brown writes:
>>> Are you saying you've never tested local installs without the -m
>>> switch?
>>
>> No, I'm saying that the "-m" switch should reduce the possibility of
>> setup doing something unwanted, because it eliminates the possibility of
>> it switching into ad-hoc mode (where it searches the subdirs for
>> setup.ini and package files to full depth).
>>
>>> If so, that explains why you haven't been able to reproduce
>>> the problems that several of us have reported.  I just verified that
>>> setup does indeed correctly descend into subdirectories with the -m
>>> switch.
>>
>> That still doesn't tell me what about your mirror directories triggers
>> it to not use local mirror mode when not using that switch.  If the
>> directory structure is correct that is in theory impossible since it
>> tries mirror mode first and only if it doesn't find a useable setup file
>> that way would it fall back to ad-hoc mode.  Please run the commands in
>> my other replay to David Stacey and tell me the result.
>
> $ find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -name $arch | \
>  > xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
>  > do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done' && \
>  > find -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name $arch | \
>  > xargs -I: sh -c 'for f in :/setup.{xz,bz2,ini}; \
>  > do [ -e $f ] && { echo $f ; break; } done'
> ./http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f/x86/setup.ini
> ./http%3a%2f%2fsanibeltranquility.com%2fcygwin%2f/x86/setup.ini
> ./myrepo/x86/setup.xz

Just for the record, I did a git bisection, showing (unsurprisingly) that the
first bad commit is one of the following two:

commit 18837afa64984e98476401e99dcd772970cf9736
Author: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@Stromeko.DE>
Date:   Sat Jul 11 21:58:30 2015 +0200

     Refactor setup search and implement XZ compressed setup files

         * ini.cc: Construct setup_ext_list from array until we can use
         C++11 aggregate initializers.  Clean up function parenthesis.
         (decompress_ini): Refactored for use from do_local_ini and
         do_remote_ini.  Change outdated comment about setup.ini
         uncompressed size.
         (check_ini_sig): Factor out signature check.
         (fetch_remote_ini): Refactored for use from do_remote_ini.
         (do_local_ini): Iterate over search results in found_ini_list.
         Use decompress_ini and check_ini_sig.
         (do_remote_ini): Iterate over known setup file extensions from
         setup_ext_list with early-out semantics, preferring ".xz" over
         ".bz2" over ".ini" extension.  Use fetch_remote_ini and
         check_ini_sig.
         * ini.h: Remove unused macros.
         * IniParseFindVisitor.cc: Remove, the search is already done by
         SetupFindVisitor in do_from_local_dir.
         * IniParseFindVisitor.cc: Ditto.
         * Makefile.am (@SETUP@_SOURCES): Ditto.

commit 35addac4a65a1d70ab02b8d175f71efa83cf74ba
Author: Achim Gratz <Stromeko@Stromeko.DE>
Date:   Wed Jul 1 21:36:12 2015 +0200

     Correct local directory search

         * fromcwd.cc: Remove unused includes.  Add global found_ini_list
         to record the search result.
         (SetupFindVisitor): Make setup.{ini,bz2,xz} known and provide bool
         private variables to record whether we found them.  Another bool
         inidir to indicate whether we are currently inside a directory
         where setup.ini files should exist.
         (SetupFindVisitor::visitFile): When inidir is true, check if a
         setup file with one of the known extensions was found and set the
         corresponding bool variables.
             (SetupFindVisitor::visitDirectory): Set inidir when appropriate.
         Recurse into directories only if they are potential mirror dirs,
         based on level. Truncate search and recurse into inidir.  Record
         any setup files in found_ini_list while preferring ".xz" over
         ".bz2" over ".ini" extension.
         (SetupFindVisitor::operator bool): Return true when found_ini_list
         is non-empty.
         (do_from_local_dir): Restrict search to either a single mirror
         hierarchy or multiple mirror hierarchy; setup files directly in
         local directory or mixed hierarchies are no longer recognized.
         The setup files must be present in an architecture dependent
         directory of "x86/" or "x86_64/", either in the local directory
         for single mirror or one level down for multiple mirrors.

     This patch already finds setup.xz files, but the code to deal with
     them will be in a later patch.  The current code re-does the search
     and ignores the results from here.

setup didn't build after 35addac, so I can't pin it down further.
Unfortunately, those two commits seem to involve fairly substantial changes.

As test case for the bisection, I used step 4 of the recipe I posted in
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-10/msg00267.html.

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 16:49                   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-18 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> ./http%3a%2f%2fmirrors.kernel.org%2fsourceware%2fcygwin%2f/x86/setup.ini
> ./http%3a%2f%2fsanibeltranquility.com%2fcygwin%2f/x86/setup.ini
> ./myrepo/x86/setup.xz

I've checked again what exactly --mirror-mode does: if it's set, then it
basically tells setup to believe the ini file and assume the existence
of all files that are listed there.  If it's unset, then it checks if
the file is available on disk (first starting from local_dir, then
iterating thorough all mirrors) and tries to validate it.  The latter
part fails in multi-mirror mode since it doesn't seem to find the mirror
names while doing that.  I'll have to trawl the Git history to see where
and how this was dropped (it must have been a side-effect of something
else) and how to fix it.  In the meantime, please use "-mX" for local
multi-mirrors.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 17:48 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-18 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Robert Pace writes:
> I did install an older version of Cygwin which I had downloaded back
> in January 2015 without issue.  Indicating that there is an issue with
> the latest cygwin setup application.

I think it's now fixed and sorry for the trouble.

The signature check has been changed to not complain about a missing
signature file when installing from a local directory for the moment.
This may be changed again if and when the "download only" mode gets
smart enough to actually download the signature and ini file from the
mirror.

The other bug was showing up only for multi-mirror hierarchies (with any
number of mirror directories present, including a single one).  In this
situation setup would fail to verify the packages (unless you switched
that verification off with "-m") and hence you wouldn't be able to
install any new packages.

Until a new version makes it's way to the official site, you can try the
bugfixed setup.exe I've compiled locally:

wget="wget -rxnH --cut-dirs=1 http://cygwin.stromeko.net";
$wget/x86/setup-x86.exe
$wget/x86_64/setup-x86_64.exe
sha512sum setup*.exe

fa35136f7dd3beec303f5690af092a036ef59f180292b9649d9190513a3d15354a0ee805178787a5a59b2b12e1cadd7fcb38cd66aa0a23945d033c2e067ffc69  x86_64/setup-x86_64.exe
e878a6ca6959ec1fbc916bde40f5089d12024b6f8d47ce1cd1db8f0d6f3fbaa152d640eb5bc664dae561199a919e7d9d927c5bef6ddbd494e5b64669af824270  x86/setup-x86.exe

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-18 23:42   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2015-10-18 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 10/18/2015 1:47 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> I think it's now fixed and sorry for the trouble.

Thanks for the quick fix.  All the problems I reported seem to be gone.

Ken

* Re: Error Installing Cygwin (setup-x86_64.exe & setup-x86) - No setup.ini.sig found.
@ 2015-10-19  6:05     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-10-19  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
> On 10/18/2015 1:47 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> I think it's now fixed and sorry for the trouble.
>
> Thanks for the quick fix.  All the problems I reported seem to be gone.

Great.  Thanks to you and David for letting me know what exactly you
were operating from and how, since otherwise I would not have found that
code-path as quickly.

If anybody has an idea how to generate coverage reports while testing
and/or automate the testing for setup, please let me know.

Regards,
Achim.