* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: fish-2.2.0-3
@ 2015-08-31 10:58 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-08-31 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

A new release of fish is available in the Cygwin distribution.  fish 2.2.0-3 is
the first current release of fish 2.2 for Cygwin.  Version 2.2.0-1 and -2 were
available as test releases.

fish 2.2 has significant changes since fish 2.1; please see
http://fishshell.com/release_notes.html for the full list.

ISSUES WHEN UPDATING FROM FISH 2.1 to 2.2:

1. You may see errors when fish starts, saying that "Old versions of fish appear
to be running."  This is because of architectural changes (removal of fishd)
from fish 2.1 to 2.2.  If you see this, please try running the following
commands:

* pkill fish, or killall fish (to kill all running instances of fish, and
especially fishd)

* rm -rf /tmp/fish*

* If necessary, rm ~/.config/fish/fishd.* .  But this probably will remove all
of your stored universal variables.

Then restart fish.  If the error messages persist, please report that to the
cygwin list.

2. fish may hang at startup.  This happens because the startup file
/etc/fish/config.fish in fish 2.1.1 included syntax that causes fish 2.2.0 to
hang.

* If you didn't customize /etc/fish/config.fish, then there's nothing you need
to do.  The old file will be replaced with a corrected new one when you update,
and fish should start normally.

* If you did customize /etc/fish/config.fish, then your customized file won't be
replaced on update, and fish will probably hang at startup (a "cat" process will
be running, waiting forever for input).  To fix this:
  + Press Ctrl-D.  Startup should then continue normally.
  + Exit fish, then kill any other running instances of fish and cat.
  + Replace your old /etc/fish/config.fish with a copy of
    /etc/defaults/etc/fish/config.fish, and re-add any customizations you want
    to make.
  + Restart fish.

If you've tried the above and fish still hangs on startup, please report that to
the cygwin list.

fish is the friendly interactive shell. It's a Unix shell that focuses on
interactive use, discoverability, and user friendliness. The design goal of fish
is to give the user a rich set of powerful features in a way that is easy to
discover, remember, and use.

Home page: http://fishshell.com

Andrew E. Schulman

If you want to unsubscribe from the cygwin-announce mailing list, look
at the "List-Unsubscribe: " tag in the email header of this message.
Send email to the address specified there.  It will be in the format:

cygwin-announce-unsubscribe-you=yourdomain.com_at_cygwin.com

If you need more information on unsubscribing, start reading here:

Please read *all* of the information on unsubscribing that is available
starting at this URL.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: fish-2.2.0-3
@ 2015-09-01  6:55 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-09-01  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@...> writes:
> A new release of fish is available in the Cygwin distribution.  fish
2.2.0-3 is
> the first current release of fish 2.2 for Cygwin.  Version 2.2.0-1 and -2 were
> available as test releases.

I've tried this again since the previous version never really worked for me.

It seems that fish still has problems with my home directory that is on the
network (roaming profile in Windows).  It takes ages to start up (does it
try to enumerate all users perhaps?).  I've removed the ACL that seemed to
trip it up, but no change with the startup time.  Fish seems to have picked
up my (large) tcsh history and produced about a hundred history files from
that.  That will become another killer when I were to try and log in via VPN
(reading one large file is a lot faster than reading many small ones).  Last
but not least, when it has finally started it constantly bickers about this;
roughly six or seven times for each command issued:

Unable to rename file from '/home/gratz/.config/fish/fishd.tmp.q4rCYs' to
'/home/gratz/.config/fish/fishd.MYCOMPUTER.x86_64': Device or resource busy

This is one of those network shares that can do hardlinks, but the link
count is always 1 (due to a NetApp bug that makes inode numbers unstable).
Is there anything I can do to resolve these issues?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: fish-2.2.0-3
@ 2015-09-01  8:03   ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-09-01  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> It seems that fish still has problems with my home directory that is on the
> network (roaming profile in Windows).  It takes ages to start up (does it
> try to enumerate all users perhaps?).  I've removed the ACL that seemed to
> trip it up, but no change with the startup time.

I've never used a roaming profile in Windows, so I haven't seen this problem and
don't know what would cause it.

>  Fish seems to have picked
> up my (large) tcsh history and produced about a hundred history files from
> that.  That will become another killer when I were to try and log in via VPN
> (reading one large file is a lot faster than reading many small ones).

100 history files?  Where?  I have only one history file,
~/.config/fish/fish_history.  It's about 234K.  I'm not sure if it has my old
bash history in it; it may.

> Last
> but not least, when it has finally started it constantly bickers about this;
> roughly six or seven times for each command issued:
>
> Unable to rename file from '/home/gratz/.config/fish/fishd.tmp.q4rCYs' to
> '/home/gratz/.config/fish/fishd.MYCOMPUTER.x86_64': Device or resource busy
>
> This is one of those network shares that can do hardlinks, but the link
> count is always 1 (due to a NetApp bug that makes inode numbers unstable).

I've seen those errors before, but in my case instead of "Device or resource
busy" it was "Permission denied" because of an ACL problem.  Yeah, the amount of
noise there is so high as to make fish undesirable to use.

fish uses ~/.config/fish/fishd.MYCOMPUTER.x86_64 to store universal variables,
which are shared between instances of fish.  Apparently it rewrites that file
often.

Do you see those messages when only one instance of fish is running?  Or only
when there's more than one?

> Is there anything I can do to resolve these issues?

For #2, maybe a solution would be to add a switch, say an environment variable,
that would tell fish not to split its history file.

For #1 and #3, it seems that these are caused by use of a network profile and I
don't know what the solution is.

My recommendation is to report these issues in the upstream issue queue, at
https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues.  In my experience the fish
developers are quite responsive to issues posted there, and want to support
Windows.  I also watch that queue and will help as I can.

Good luck,
Andrew

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: fish-2.2.0-3
@ 2015-09-01 16:33     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-09-01 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew Schulman writes:
> 100 history files?  Where?  I have only one history file,

~/.config/fish/fish_history.abcd (some four-letter random string IIRC,
like those created by mkstemp). Each of the files is having some portion
of my history in it, maybe something to do with the timestamp in the
original history file.  I haven't looked in more detail.

> I've seen those errors before, but in my case instead of "Device or resource
> busy" it was "Permission denied" because of an ACL problem.  Yeah, the amount of
> noise there is so high as to make fish undesirable to use.

Yes, but the ACL problem was solvable.

> fish uses ~/.config/fish/fishd.MYCOMPUTER.x86_64 to store universal variables,
> which are shared between instances of fish.  Apparently it rewrites that file
> often.
>
> Do you see those messages when only one instance of fish is running?  Or only
> when there's more than one?

No, I've never ran more than one instance of fish at once so far.

>> Is there anything I can do to resolve these issues?
>
> For #2, maybe a solution would be to add a switch, say an environment variable,
> that would tell fish not to split its history file.
>
> For #1 and #3, it seems that these are caused by use of a network profile and I
> don't know what the solution is.
>
> My recommendation is to report these issues in the upstream issue queue, at
> https://github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues.  In my experience the fish
> developers are quite responsive to issues posted there, and want to support
> Windows.  I also watch that queue and will help as I can.

I don't plan on getting a GitHub account, so that venue is closed.

Regards,
Achim.