* [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-05 19:35 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-03-05 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I've promoted the test release to current.  The release notes that
accompanied the test release are enclosed below.

General
-------

I'm taking over as Perl maintainer from Reini Urban.  Thank you Reini
for the past years of maintining Perl.

This release updates Perl to version 5.14.4 (the final release of 5.14)
and also incorporates a few upstream patches from later Perl versions
(most of which were already applied to the releases bei Reini).  For
x86_64 this is mainly a rebuild with the current toolchain and a change
of packaging, while for i686 this is an actual update from version
5.14.2.  The update is expected to be fully binary compatible on both
architectures, so modules should need no rebuilding.

This release is currently marked as test/experimental and will be
promoted to current in about two weeks.  Therefore you need to select
the new version in setup manually for now.  Please report any unusual
behaviour (or successes!) to the main Cygwin mailing list.

Packaging
---------

Packaging has been changed to conform to current Cygwin standards and be
identical on both architectures.  The package is provided via cygport.
Perl is now split among these packages:

- perl_base (minimal installation, intended for use by Base packages)
- perl (completes the installation with additional modules)
- perl-debuginfo (replaces perl_debuginfo)
- perl_autorebase (integration with incrmental autorebase)
- perl_manpages (documentation, just the manpages)
- perl_pods (documentation, just the POD files)

It is recommended to install perl_pods, which has formerly been part of
the perl package unless you really need the space or prefer the manpages
over perldoc.

The perl_vendor package (which only exists on i686 anyway) will be
dissolved into individual packages for the Perl modules that comprise it
soon and is no longer part of this release.  For the moment you can
continue using the old package, however.

Changes
-------

Perlrebase has been removed.  Instead the EUMM installer will do an
oblivious rebase when not started from cygport.  Perl modules compiled
from cygport will be rebased during installation by Cygwin's setup.
Setup will also properly rebase modules installed into site_perl, so if
you see address collisions (this only happens with some regularity on
i686, on x86_64 auto image base usually does a good job of avoiding that
problem already), simply run setup without making any changes.

The site_perl and vendor_perl directories for older Perl versions
(namely 5.10 and 5.8) are no longer in @INC.  please update your modules
for 5.14 or use local::lib if you still want to use these locations.

Outlook
-------

The next Perl release will most likely be 5.22, due to be released
upstream in May 2015.  Depending on how fast it stabilizes, a Cygwin
release will follow in summer / autumn.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-05 21:30 ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2015-03-05 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Op 5-3-2015 om 20:14 schreef Achim Gratz:
> [...]
> oblivious rebase when not started from cygport.  Perl modules compiled
> from cygport will be rebased during installation by Cygwin's setup.
> Setup will also properly rebase modules installed into site_perl, so if
> you see address collisions (this only happens with some regularity on
> i686, on x86_64 auto image base usually does a good job of avoiding that
> problem already), simply run setup without making any changes.
>
> The site_perl and vendor_perl directories for older Perl versions
> (namely 5.10 and 5.8) are no longer in @INC.  please update your modules
> for 5.14 or use local::lib if you still want to use these locations.
>
> Outlook
> -------
>
> The next Perl release will most likely be 5.22, due to be released
> upstream in May 2015.  Depending on how fast it stabilizes, a Cygwin

Thanks a lot.

--
Erwin Waterlander
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-05 22:13 ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2015-03-05 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

There is something wrong with pod2man and pod2html. When I regenerate
the dos2unix international man pages from pod, all the non-ascii
characters are wrong. This did not happen with the previous perl version.

To reproduce:
make maintainer-clean
make install
LANG=uk_UA.UTF-8 man dos2unix

regards,

--

@ 2015-03-06 16:12   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-03-06 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander writes:
> There is something wrong with pod2man and pod2html. When I regenerate
> the dos2unix international man pages from pod, all the non-ascii
> characters are wrong. This did not happen with the previous perl
> version.

cygcheck output, please.

> To reproduce:
> make maintainer-clean
> make install
> LANG=uk_UA.UTF-8 man dos2unix

I'd appreciate if you could come up with a self-contained reproducer.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-15  7:22     ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2015-03-15  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz schreef op 2015-03-06 17:02:
> Erwin Waterlander writes:
>> There is something wrong with pod2man and pod2html. When I regenerate
>> the dos2unix international man pages from pod, all the non-ascii
>> characters are wrong. This did not happen with the previous perl
>> version.
>
> cygcheck output, please.

pod2man seems ok, but pod2html produces wrong output.

$ cygcheck pod2html
Found: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html
C:\cygwin\bin\pod2htmlcygcheck: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html is not a DLL:
magic number 2123 (8483) '#!'

>> To reproduce:
>> make maintainer-clean
>> make install
>> LANG=uk_UA.UTF-8 man dos2unix
>
> I'd appreciate if you could come up with a self-contained reproducer.

wget http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
tar xzf dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
cd dos2unix-7.2
make maintainer-clean
make html

now open man/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm

It looks like this http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/dos2unix.htm
while it should look like
http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm

It could be a pod2html bug. I know that between perl 5.14.2 and 5.18 the
pod2html output changed from plain UTF-8 to ASCII with ampersand codes.
I have asked the maintainer about it, but I got no answer.

regards,

--

@ 2015-03-15  8:06       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-03-15  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander writes:
>> cygcheck output, please.
>
> pod2man seems ok, but pod2html produces wrong output.
>
> $ cygcheck pod2html
> Found: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html
> C:\cygwin\bin\pod2htmlcygcheck: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html is not a DLL:
> magic number 2123 (8483) '#!'

Yes I know it's a script.  I was talking about the procedure described
here: https://cygwin.com/problems.html (so I'd know whether you were
using 32bit or 64bit Cygwin and what other packages might be involved).

>> I'd appreciate if you could come up with a self-contained reproducer.
>
> wget http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
> tar xzf dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
> cd dos2unix-7.2
> make maintainer-clean
> make html
>
> now open man/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm

I'll look at that later, I was hoping for something more condensed
actually.

> It looks like this http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/dos2unix.htm
> while it should look like
> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm

This looks like a mixup between UTF-8 and raw IO or possibly double
encoding.  What happens if you force UTF-8 by starting Perl with the -C0
switch?

> It could be a pod2html bug. I know that between perl 5.14.2 and 5.18
> the pod2html output changed from plain UTF-8 to ASCII with ampersand
> codes. I have asked the maintainer about it, but I got no answer.

You might be missing the encoding directives or something like that (if
these are missing and you force UTF-8 anyway bad things happen).  There
aren't any test fails related to Pod, so if it's a bug then nobody is
testing for it yet.

@ 2015-03-15 10:08         ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-03-15 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/15/2015 8:22 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Erwin Waterlander writes:
>>> cygcheck output, please.
>>
>> pod2man seems ok, but pod2html produces wrong output.
>>
>> $ cygcheck pod2html
>> Found: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html
>> C:\cygwin\bin\pod2htmlcygcheck: C:\cygwin\bin\pod2html is not a DLL:
>> magic number 2123 (8483) '#!'
>
> Yes I know it's a script.  I was talking about the procedure described
> here: https://cygwin.com/problems.html (so I'd know whether you were
> using 32bit or 64bit Cygwin and what other packages might be involved).
>
>>> I'd appreciate if you could come up with a self-contained reproducer.
>>
>> wget http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
>> tar xzf dos2unix-7.2.tar.gz
>> cd dos2unix-7.2
>> make maintainer-clean
>> make html
>>
>> now open man/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm
>
> I'll look at that later, I was hoping for something more condensed
> actually.

it is a very tiny test.

I noticed on 64bit, on the conversions

PERL_UNICODE=SDA pod2html --title="dos2unix 7.2 - DOS/MAC to UNIX and
vice versa text file format converter" man/man1/dos2unix.pod >
man/man1/dos2unix.htm
/usr/bin/pod2html: man/man1/dos2unix.pod: unknown pod directive
'encoding' in paragraph 3.  ignoring.

the directive is:
=encoding UTF-8

Regards
Marco

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-15 17:47       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-03-15 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander writes:
> It looks like this http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/dos2unix.htm
> while it should look like
> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm
>
> It could be a pod2html bug. I know that between perl 5.14.2 and 5.18
> the pod2html output changed from plain UTF-8 to ASCII with ampersand
> codes. I have asked the maintainer about it, but I got no answer.

If you don't define PERL_UNICODE (it must not be present at all in the
environment) then it should work.  The version of pod2html that comes
with 5.14 doesn't understand coding directives and has bugs with IO
layers, so if you make Perl unicode aware it'll encode the output twice.

Now, it seems that using Pod::Html and pod2html from 5.18 (which has the
GSoC patches from Marc Green) might work, but since this is not
available as a CPAN distribution and I'm not sure who else might use
Pod::Html in creative ways, I'd rather not go there.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-15 18:15         ` Erwin Waterlander
From: Erwin Waterlander @ 2015-03-15 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Op 15-03-15 om 12:18 schreef Achim Gratz:
> Erwin Waterlander writes:
>> It looks like this http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/tmp/dos2unix.htm
>> while it should look like
>> http://waterlan.home.xs4all.nl/dos2unix/uk/man1/dos2unix.htm
>>
>> It could be a pod2html bug. I know that between perl 5.14.2 and 5.18
>> the pod2html output changed from plain UTF-8 to ASCII with ampersand
>> codes. I have asked the maintainer about it, but I got no answer.
> If you don't define PERL_UNICODE (it must not be present at all in the
> environment) then it should work.  The version of pod2html that comes
> with 5.14 doesn't understand coding directives and has bugs with IO
> layers, so if you make Perl unicode aware it'll encode the output twice.
>
> Now, it seems that using Pod::Html and pod2html from 5.18 (which has the
> GSoC patches from Marc Green) might work, but since this is not
> available as a CPAN distribution and I'm not sure who else might use
> Pod::Html in creative ways, I'd rather not go there.

Hi Achim,

You are right. When I remove PERL_UNICODE a correct the html is correct.
Correct title and correct content, all nicely in UTF-8.

I added PERL_UNICODE=SDA, because of perl 5.18 (on Linux). Perl 5.18
pod2html produces a wrong html title (double encoded?) when I don't set
PERL_UNICODE. I find it weird that I have to set PERL_UNICODE for perl
5.18 while I'm in an UTF-8 environment. I also don't like all the
ampersand codes that perl 5.18 produces instead of UTF-8. The output of
perl 5.14 pod2html is much better.

Thanks for your help.

best regards,

Erwin

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-15 18:50           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-03-15 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erwin Waterlander writes:
> You are right. When I remove PERL_UNICODE a correct the html is
> correct. Correct title and correct content, all nicely in UTF-8.

Good.

> I added PERL_UNICODE=SDA, because of perl 5.18 (on Linux). Perl 5.18
> pod2html produces a wrong html title (double encoded?) when I don't
> set PERL_UNICODE. I find it weird that I have to set PERL_UNICODE for
> perl 5.18 while I'm in an UTF-8 environment.

Even the version of pod2html in 5.18 is not really unicode-aware.  The
Debian bugtracker has a few bits of information on why the fixes in one
place produce holes in others.

> I also don't like all the ampersand codes that perl 5.18 produces
> instead of UTF-8. The output of perl 5.14 pod2html is much better.

From the standpoint of HTTP server and browser compatibility these are
better on the other hand.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: perl-5.14.4-3
@ 2015-03-15 20:26             ` waterlan
From: waterlan @ 2015-03-15 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim Gratz schreef op 2015-03-15 19:25:
> Erwin Waterlander writes:
>
>> I also don't like all the ampersand codes that perl 5.18 produces
>> instead of UTF-8.
>
> From the standpoint of HTTP server and browser compatibility these are
> better on the other hand.

I would expect that all browsers support utf8 by now, but OK. When you
open such an html file in a text editor to inspect, it is totally
unreadable.

regards,

--

@ 2015-03-15 21:34               ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-03-15 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

waterlan writes:
> I would expect that all browsers support utf8 by now, but OK. When you
> open such an html file in a text editor to inspect, it is totally
> unreadable.

The remaining problem is web servers that don't produce correct Content-Type
headers.  I see that all the time even on big media outlets.

Regards,
Achim.