* autorebase and user-installed dynamic objects
@ 2021-09-18 22:51 Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2021-09-18 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Achim,

In preparation for using emacs's new native compilation feature, I've been
experimenting with using autorebase to rebase the *.eln files created in a
user's home directory.  As a start, I created a file

   /var/lib/rebase/user.d/kbrown

containing the line

   /home/kbrown/.emacs.d/eln-cache .

I also modified /usr/bin/rebaseall and /usr/bin/rebaselst so that they would
recognize 'eln' as a suffix of a file needing to be rebased.  I then ran setup
and let it do its autorebase, but the *.eln files didn't get rebased.

Looking into /usr/bin/rebaselst, I think I see the problem.  The function
rebase_user() greps the file /var/lib/rebase/user.d/kbrown for the relevant
suffixes, instead of looking for files in /home/kbrown/.emacs.d/eln-cache.
Shouldn't rebase_user use a variable "userLocs" analogous to the variable
"dynLocs" used by rebase_dyn()?  Or am I completely misunderstanding how this is
supposed to work?

Thanks.

Ken

* Re: autorebase and user-installed dynamic objects
@ 2021-09-19  6:18 ` ASSI
From: ASSI @ 2021-09-19  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown via Cygwin writes:
> Looking into /usr/bin/rebaselst, I think I see the problem.  The
> function rebase_user() greps the file /var/lib/rebase/user.d/kbrown
> for the relevant suffixes,

That's how it was originally intended to work, IIRC (but the
documentation indeed wrongly suggests to put paths there).  Obviously
since we didn't have that situation before I never fully tested and
completed this part.

> instead of looking for files in
> /home/kbrown/.emacs.d/eln-cache. Shouldn't rebase_user use a variable
> "userLocs" analogous to the variable "dynLocs" used by rebase_dyn()?
> Or am I completely misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

For reasons I don't exactly remember, I wanted to avoid that.  Probably
because the user directory might not be available or accessible for the
install user, but then obviously you'd just as likely have a problem
with the actual rebasing also.  I've been mulling the idea of having
user specific rebase databases on top of the system one (or more
generally a hierarchy of rebase DB) several times and that's one of the
reasons they might be needed.

Let's discuss how this can and should work on cygwin-apps.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: