* perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-04 22:32 L A Walsh
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: L A Walsh @ 2019-02-04 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Can we have an older perl, say, perl-5.0.16?  works for my stuff mostly
unchanged,

I can't get many cpan things to work with current perl.

Things like
Term::Size::chars no longer works as it says chars isn't exported.
but it is 'EXPORT_OK', and it used to work.

Too many things break on cpan on new perls....seems like
building CPAN should be part of the perl test suite or if
they won't fix a module in CPAN or won't fix perl to keep a compatibility
mode then the module gets kicked out of CPAN --
and Perl doesn't get released until all modules remaining in CPAN
work.

Meanwhile....we had a 5.18 for a while, and that worked...but the new stuff.
I can't pull new versions from CPAN and expect anything to work...

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-04 23:11 ` Peter A. Castro
From: Peter A. Castro @ 2019-02-04 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 02:32:35PM -0800, L A Walsh wrote:

Greetings,

> Can we have an older perl, say, perl-5.0.16?  works for my stuff mostly
> unchanged,

You sure you mean 5.0.16?  That's really, really old!  Maybe you mean
5.16.1?

The earliest perl version I have in my archives for Cygwin is perl-5.6.1
from 2001. and that's for 32-bit only.  I don't have anything earlier.

Earliest 64-bit appears to be perl-5.14.4

> I can't get many cpan things to work with current perl.
>
> Things like
> Term::Size::chars no longer works as it says chars isn't exported.
> but it is 'EXPORT_OK', and it used to work.
>
> Too many things break on cpan on new perls....seems like
> building CPAN should be part of the perl test suite or if
> they won't fix a module in CPAN or won't fix perl to keep a compatibility
> mode then the module gets kicked out of CPAN --
> and Perl doesn't get released until all modules remaining in CPAN
> work.
>
> Meanwhile....we had a 5.18 for a while, and that worked...but the new stuff.
> I can't pull new versions from CPAN and expect anything to work...

5.18 is at least a little newer (2014), but still pretty old.

You can pull the source from the official perl site and build your own,
though getting to the source is a little convoluted, but try here:

https://www.cpan.org/src/5.0/

> --

--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-05  0:18 ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2019-02-05  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 2:33 PM L A Walsh wrote:
> Things like
> Term::Size::chars no longer works as it says chars isn't exported.
> but it is 'EXPORT_OK', and it used to work.

Remember that EXPORT_OK means that you can ask for it to be exported,
but it's not by default.  I just tried out CPAN 2.22 with perl 5.26.3
and ran a CPAN "install Term::Size" and the result worked fine:

perl -we 'use Term::Size "chars"; print join("\n",  chars), "\n";'
perl -we 'use Term::Size; print join("\n",  Term::Size::chars), "\n";'

I haven't seen any issues in the various CPAN modules that I added to my setup.

..wayne..

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-05 19:10 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-02-05 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

L A Walsh writes:
> I can't get many cpan things to work with current perl.

Then these are unlikely to work with an older perl as well.

> Things like
> Term::Size::chars no longer works as it says chars isn't exported.
> but it is 'EXPORT_OK', and it used to work.

Import it into your namespace?

use Term::Size qw( chars )

> Too many things break on cpan on new perls....seems like building CPAN
> should be part of the perl test suite or if they won't fix a module in
> CPAN or won't fix perl to keep a compatibility mode then the module
> gets kicked out of CPAN -- and Perl doesn't get released until all
> modules remaining in CPAN work.

Actually, CPAN is constantly tested against all Perl versions on a lot
of platforms.  Everything available in Cygwin beyond the core modules
_is_ from CPAN and I have no problems whatsoever building those.  I
build another 200 modules @work and the only module that needs patching
is one that hasn't been updated in the last 12 or so years and it's a
trivial patch.

> Meanwhile....we had a 5.18 for a while, and that worked...but the new stuff.
> I can't pull new versions from CPAN and expect anything to work...

You are way behind the curve.  If you insist on doing that you'll have
to maintain your own perl installation for Cygwin.

Regards,
Achim.

Samples for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-06  0:23   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2019-02-06  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/4/2019 4:18 PM, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 2:33 PM L A Walsh wrote:
>
>> Things like
>> Term::Size::chars no longer works as it says chars isn't exported.
>> but it is 'EXPORT_OK', and it used to work.
>>

> Remember that EXPORT_OK means that you can ask for it to be exported,
> but it's not by default.  I just tried out CPAN 2.22 with perl 5.26.3
> and ran a CPAN "install Term::Size" and the result worked fine:
>
> perl -we 'use Term::Size "chars"; print join("\n",  chars), "\n";'
> perl -we 'use Term::Size; print join("\n",  Term::Size::chars), "\n";'
>
> I haven't seen any issues in the various CPAN modules that I added to my setup.

---
    Yes...it worked for me up till the latest perl.  I was surprised.

The man page documents usage as:

       "Term::Size::chars" returns the size in units of characters, whereas
       "Term::Size::pixels" uses units of pixels.

       In a scalar context, both functions return the first element of the
       list, that is, the terminal width.

       The functions may be imported.

-----

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-06  0:35     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-02-06  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh, cygwin

Greetings, L A Walsh!

> On 2/4/2019 4:18 PM, Wayne Davison wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 2:33 PM L A Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> Things like
>>> Term::Size::chars no longer works as it says chars isn't exported.
>>> but it is 'EXPORT_OK', and it used to work.
>>>

>> Remember that EXPORT_OK means that you can ask for it to be exported,
>> but it's not by default.  I just tried out CPAN 2.22 with perl 5.26.3
>> and ran a CPAN "install Term::Size" and the result worked fine:
>>
>> perl -we 'use Term::Size "chars"; print join("\n",  chars), "\n";'
>> perl -we 'use Term::Size; print join("\n",  Term::Size::chars), "\n";'
>>
>> I haven't seen any issues in the various CPAN modules that I added to my setup.
>>

>     Yes...it worked for me up till the latest perl.  I was surprised.

STC ?

> The man page documents usage as:

>        "Term::Size::chars" returns the size in units of characters, whereas
>        "Term::Size::pixels" uses units of pixels.

>        In a scalar context, both functions return the first element of the
>        list, that is, the terminal width.

>        The functions may be imported.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-06  0:36       ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2019-02-06  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/5/2019 4:25 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:

>>     Yes...it worked for me up till the latest perl.  I was surprised.
>
> STC ?
>
>> The man page documents usage as:

STC?

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-06  0:41   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2019-02-06  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter A. Castro, cygwin

On 2/4/2019 3:09 PM, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2019 at 02:32:35PM -0800, L A Walsh wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>

>> Can we have an older perl, say, perl-5.0.16?  works for my stuff mostly
>> unchanged,
>>

> You sure you mean 5.0.16?  That's really, really old!  Maybe you mean
> 5.16.1?

---
    ooops...5.16.3 actually....

5.18 was when they started w/they itchy trigger fingers and
pulling features into experimental status at the same time
they added a new incompat feature by default --
mandatory warnings.

Between the two more than a little bit of code broke, since code wisdom
before then was to always develop and run with warnings and strict on.
And some took it a step farther and did a die on warnings. --
which took out any prog that used 'my $_';

Anyway, someone uses 5.18.x as as their latest support for their
CPAN -- more CPAN authors aren't staying up-to-date as newer
features cause problems.

Who would have thought
using a sub by name that is 'export_ok', now is broken.

(Term::Size::Chars) -- that is actually a recommended usage
on its manpage but now breaks.

Sheesh.

I guess the new exporter disallows items in the export_allow list if
they are not in the export list?

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-06  1:43         ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2019-02-06  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

L A Walsh wrote:

> On 2/5/2019 4:25 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
>

>>>     Yes...it worked for me up till the latest perl.  I was surprised.
>>
>> STC ?
>>
>>> The man page documents usage as:
>

> STC?

Please provide a Simple Test Case that shows exactly what you're trying and
exactly what happens that's incorrect.

..mark

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-06  2:20     ` Wayne Davison
From: Wayne Davison @ 2019-02-06  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 4:23 PM L A Walsh wrote:
>  Yes...it worked for me up till the latest perl.  I was surprised.

Which latest perl is that?  The 5.26.3 version I cited is the latest
version on cygwin, and it's working fine in all the simple tests I
tried (I tried scalar & array contexts for both the chars & pixels
functions).  Do you have perl 5.28 installed?  I see that Term/Size.pm
has a "use vars" line in it:

use vars qw(@EXPORT_OK @ISA $VERSION);

... and since "use vars" looks to have been removed in 5.28, you could
rewrite that line as this:

our (@EXPORT_OK, @ISA, $VERSION);

..wayne..

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-07 23:35           ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2019-02-07 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2/5/2019 5:43 PM, Mark Geisert wrote:
> Please provide a Simple Test Case that shows exactly what you're
> trying and
> exactly what happens that's incorrect.

My simple test case was referencing
some old copy that didn't get deleted/updated when I  last
updated the module.

Fixing that it works (Term-Size-0.207) as well as the newest
version (Term-Size-0.209).  Sigh.

Thanks for the clue stick!  I need them more often than I would
like.

* Re: perl -- classic?
@ 2019-02-08  0:20             ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2019-02-08  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: L A Walsh, cygwin

Greetings, L A Walsh!

> On 2/5/2019 5:43 PM, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Please provide a Simple Test Case that shows exactly what you're
>> trying and
>> exactly what happens that's incorrect.
>>
> My simple test case was referencing
> some old copy that didn't get deleted/updated when I  last
> updated the module.

> Fixing that it works (Term-Size-0.207) as well as the newest
> version (Term-Size-0.209).  Sigh.

> Thanks for the clue stick!  I need them more often than I would
> like.

We all need those from time to time!
Glad the issue resolved! Good luck!

--