* gcc4-core packaging bug
@ 2013-11-01 15:27 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-11-01 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The package gcc4-core provides a compatibility symlink for programs that
expect the old gcc naming scheme (like Perl).  The link however is just
"gcc4", while Devel::CheckLib for instance looks for "gcc4.exe".

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcc4-core packaging bug
@ 2013-11-01 20:35 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2013-11-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, cygwin

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

> The package gcc4-core provides a compatibility symlink for programs that
> expect the old gcc naming scheme (like Perl).  The link however is just
> "gcc4", while Devel::CheckLib for instance looks for "gcc4.exe".

Report that to the maintainer of Devel::CheckLib
It SHOULD NOT check for .exe suffix under cygwin.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: gcc4-core packaging bug
@ 2013-11-01 20:44   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-11-01 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrey Repin writes:
>> The package gcc4-core provides a compatibility symlink for programs that
>> expect the old gcc naming scheme (like Perl).  The link however is just
>> "gcc4", while Devel::CheckLib for instance looks for "gcc4.exe".
>
> Report that to the maintainer of Devel::CheckLib
> It SHOULD NOT check for .exe suffix under cygwin.

Yes it should, since it does not need to know about the .exe magic
Cygwin performs.  Besides, it gets that information from %Config, which
in turn comes from Cygwin's own Perl.  Once the compatibility link is
named gcc-4.exe, the .exe magic ensures that both checking for an
executable named gcc-4 and gcc-4.exe will succeed, so that's the right
thing to do and not patching whatever number of Perl modules and/or
other build scripts.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER:

* Re: gcc4-core packaging bug
@ 2013-11-03  2:10     ` Yaakov (Cygwin/X)
From: Yaakov (Cygwin/X) @ 2013-11-03  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2013-11-01 15:44, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Andrey Repin writes:
>>> The package gcc4-core provides a compatibility symlink for programs that
>>> expect the old gcc naming scheme (like Perl).  The link however is just
>>> "gcc4", while Devel::CheckLib for instance looks for "gcc4.exe".
>>
>> Report that to the maintainer of Devel::CheckLib
>> It SHOULD NOT check for .exe suffix under cygwin.
>
> Yes it should, since it does not need to know about the .exe magic
> Cygwin performs.  Besides, it gets that information from %Config, which
> in turn comes from Cygwin's own Perl.  Once the compatibility link is
> named gcc-4.exe, the .exe magic ensures that both checking for an
> executable named gcc-4 and gcc-4.exe will succeed, so that's the right
> thing to do and not patching whatever number of Perl modules and/or
> other build scripts.

Actually, the RIGHT thing to do is to have Perl (updated to 5.14.4 and)
built without the CC=gcc-4 hack.

Yaakov

* Re: gcc4-core packaging bug
@ 2013-11-03  6:31       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-11-03  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) writes:
> Actually, the RIGHT thing to do is to have Perl (updated to 5.14.4
> and) built without the CC=gcc-4 hack.

Oh, absolutely.  But until we have that, if anyone runs into troubles
that some program which hasn't been rebuilt since the gcc update is
unable to find a C compiler, add the .exe suffix to the compatibility
link.  I've only mentioned it here because I recently got a new machine
at work and wondered why I couldn't build some Perl modules anymore
until I remembered that I had re-linked the compilers on the old one.

Regards,
Achim.