* Explicit dash rebaseall instructions from a CMD.EXE shell requested
@ 2018-01-04 14:18 Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2018-01-04 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Cygwin Version:

Thu 01/04/2018  7:11:09.53 c:\cygwin\bin>uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW HQSWD-C009223 2.9.0(0.318/5/3) 2017-09-12 10:41 i686 Cygwin

Seeing this when trying to install a Perl module:

cpan[4]> install Config::IniFiles
Running install for module 'Config::IniFiles'
Fetching with LWP:
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/Config-IniFiles-2.94.tar.gz
Fetching with LWP:
http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/CHECKSUMS
Checksum for /home/kchris0000/.local/share/.cpan/sources/authors/id/S/SH/SHLOMIF/Config-IniFiles-2.94.tar.gz
ok
Scanning cache /home/kchris0000/.local/share/.cpan/build for sizes
............................................................................DONE
      0 [main] perl 22944 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed
by 'Util.dll' (0x22E0000) is already occupied
      0 [main] perl 23520 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed
by 'Util.dll' (0x22E0000) is already occupied
      0 [main] perl 22752 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed
by 'Util.dll' (0x22E0000) is already occupied
      0 [main] perl 23464 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed
by 'Util.dll' (0x22E0000) is already occupied
      0 [main] perl 13512 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed
by 'Util.dll' (0x22E0000) is already occupied
      0 [main] perl 23364 child_info_fork::abort: address space needed
by 'Util.dll' (0x22E0000) is already occupied

I rebooted the machine and started a single Cygwin window alone, no
other applications running, and tried the CPAN command again.

No success.

So: I tried to execute rebaseall and rebase from a CMD.EXE window under DASH:

Thu 01/04/2018  7:10:13.23 c:\cygwin\bin>dash /bin/rebaseall
rebaseall: only ash or dash processes are allowed during rebasing
    Exit all Cygwin processes and stop all Cygwin services.
    Execute ash (or dash) from Start/Run... or a cmd or command window.
    Execute '/bin/rebaseall' from ash (or dash).

I briefly searched the mail list and the Cygwin online docs, no
foolproof (essential here!) instructions to run rebaseall under DASH
from CMD.EXE.

Or, should a rebaseall solve the "child info fork" issue above?

Thanks for any info.

* Re: Explicit dash rebaseall instructions from a CMD.EXE shell requested
@ 2018-01-04 18:21 ` Erik Soderquist
From: Erik Soderquist @ 2018-01-04 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Keith Christian wrote:
> So: I tried to execute rebaseall and rebase from a CMD.EXE window under DASH:
>

> Thu 01/04/2018  7:10:13.23 c:\cygwin\bin>dash /bin/rebaseall
> rebaseall: only ash or dash processes are allowed during rebasing
>     Exit all Cygwin processes and stop all Cygwin services.
>     Execute ash (or dash) from Start/Run... or a cmd or command window.
>     Execute '/bin/rebaseall' from ash (or dash).
>

> I briefly searched the mail list and the Cygwin online docs, no
> foolproof (essential here!) instructions to run rebaseall under DASH
> from CMD.EXE.

When I had to rebase, I had to track down and stop all cygwin services
as well.  I went to Windows Task Manager, added the image path name
and sorted by it to find what all from cygwin was still running, and
shut them down.  In my case, cron, sshd, and tftp deamons were
running.  Once *everything* from cygwin was shut down, running dash
inside the CMD shell, and then /bin/rebaseall inside the dash shell
worked for me.

-- Erik

* Re: Explicit dash rebaseall instructions from a CMD.EXE shell requested
@ 2018-01-04 19:46   ` Keith Christian
From: Keith Christian @ 2018-01-04 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks, Erik, I'll try that: running rebaseall within the DASH
instance and will double check that no cygwin processes are running.

* Re: Explicit dash rebaseall instructions from a CMD.EXE shell requested
@ 2018-01-04 20:35 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-01-04 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Keith Christian writes:
> Seeing this when trying to install a Perl module:

This is why I don't recommend to do that.  You need to teach the build
system to do an ephemeral rebase in order to reproducibly run the tests
and then put the resulting DLL somewhere that autorebase knows about.

> So: I tried to execute rebaseall and rebase from a CMD.EXE window under DASH:

While you can still do that, it's no longer the recommended way of doing
a full rebase.  You should just issue

rebase-trigger full

on the command line, then terminate all Cygwin processes and run
setup.exe again (you don't need to install or update anything).

Additionally, it won't help to solve your problem because that manual
method does not even look in those places where your DLL are residing.
For the above to work, register the path with the DLL as described in

/usr/share/doc/Cygwin/_autorebase.README

You didn't show where you are installing the module to.  Unadorned cpan
installation should use /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.26, which is
already registered with autorebase when you have the perl_autorebase
package installed, while local::lib will try somewhere in your home
directory and require manual intervention.

Last but not least, since you are using a 32bit Cygwin installation, you
may simply have run out of address space already.  Take care to only
install those packages that you _need_, not entire categories or even
all of Cygwin.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Explicit dash rebaseall instructions from a CMD.EXE shell requested
@ 2018-01-05 13:27   ` Herbert Stocker
From: Herbert Stocker @ 2018-01-05 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-01-04 19:21, Erik Soderquist wrote:
> When I had to rebase, I had to track down and stop all cygwin services
> as well.  I went to Windows Task Manager, added the image path name
> and sorted by it to find what all from cygwin was still running, and
> shut them down.

Maybe just for the record, the Windows command line tool tasklist.exe
can list you all the Cygwin processes if you use the /m option.

# tasklist.exe /m cygwin1.dll

It sits in the System32 directory should you need an absolute path.

You can also automate the kill-all-those-processes operation with
this Batch code:

#
# cd C:\Cygwin64\Bin
#
# bash -c "/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/taskkill -f
$(/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/tasklist.exe /m cygwin1.dll | /bin/tail
-n +4 | while read a b c; do echo -en /pid $b ''; done)"
#
# ash.exe /bin/rebaseall -v
#

Please note that the part starting with   bash   and ends with   done)"
is a single line.

If using it, check if the   tail -n +4   works for your version of Windows.

best regards,

Herbert

* Re: Explicit dash rebaseall instructions from a CMD.EXE shell requested
@ 2018-01-05 19:42     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-01-05 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Herbert Stocker writes:
> You can also automate the kill-all-those-processes operation with
> this Batch code:

Or install procps-ng and just issue a

pkill .

(yes that works even when started from CMD).

> # ash.exe /bin/rebaseall -v

Again, you shouldn't be doing that any more.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: