* Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?
@ 2021-04-01 20:35 Mark Aitchison
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Mark Aitchison @ 2021-04-01 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am writing perl programs that I'd like to know will work under both Linux and Cygwin,
and have to deal with Unicode now.

I had used Text::Unidecode happily in Linux but find no cygwin version. Possibly I am not
looking in the right places for it, but possibly there are different Unicode-related
modules that are well-supported under both cygwin and linux that I should be using
instead, and I guess Unicode might be one of those things where it depends on the
underlying o/s so it probably pays to go with whatever is the standard set of modules.

1. What perl Unicode modules should I consider, if not Text::Unidecode? The present need
is to be able to convert those few "foreign" characters (like ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ)
that are basically ASCII with accent marks to their closest ASCII equivalents, but I'd
like to do more with Unicode in the future, without going down any dead-ends as far as
being able to run under cygwin is concerned.

2. I see some talk of Internationalization in Chapter 2 of "Setting up Cygwin", but
cannot see anything relating to perl modules, and I don't see any easy way to search many
months of the mailing list for a keyword... is there any information I should know about?

Thanks,

Mark Aitchison

* Re: Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?
@ 2021-04-04 20:22 ` L A Walsh
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-04-04 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Aitchison; +Cc: cygwin

On 2021/04/01 13:35, Mark Aitchison wrote:
> 1. What perl Unicode modules should I consider, if not Text::Unidecode? The present need
> is to be able to convert those few "foreign" characters (like ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ)
> that are basically ASCII with accent marks to their closest ASCII equivalents,
---
    Hmm...have you tried installing from cpan?

I just tried it and it seems to work.

>  cpan -i Text::Unidecode;
>  > cat /tmp/in

ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ

>  cat /tmp/in| perl -e '
use Text::Unidecode;
while (<>) {
print unidecode($_);
}'

CCCCcccGGGGggggEIIIIOOOO

---
I.e. it stripped off all the accent marks.  Is that what you
want?

    (it spewed some warnings, but seemed to test out ok, so tried it).
put your characters in a file "/tmp/in", (i.e.
>  cat /tmp/in
 -- I know, not very creative,
but then:
 cat /tmp/in| tperl
use Text::Unidecode;
while (<>) {
print unidecode($_);
}'

CCCCcccGGGGggggEIIIIOOOO)

    Where are you seeing those characters and how do you know they are not
already in unicode?  I.e. That I'm seeing characters "CcGgEIO" but with
accents -- indicates they area already in Unicode.

What are you wanting to do.. just convert them to the ASCII characters
with the accent marks stripped off?

@ 2021-04-04 20:27 ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-04-04 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Aitchison; +Cc: cygwin

Sorry for not including this in other post, but attached
is the output for my cpan -i stage -- there was a bit of
it, and like I said, it looked like it might not work, but i
it did.

I used 'xz' to compress it from 37610 down to 2272 bytes.

[-- Attachment #2: log.xz --]
[-- Type: application/x-xz-compressed-tar, Size: 2272 bytes --]

* Re: Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?
@ 2021-04-04 21:26 ` Joel Rees
From: Joel Rees @ 2021-04-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Erk.

Sorry for the feint, Mark.

CPAN is the perl way to get perl modules and such, but see below.

2021年4月2日(金) 5:38 Mark Aitchison <M.Aitchison@cyberxpress.co.nz>:

> I am writing perl programs that I'd like to know will work under both
> Linux and Cygwin,
> and have to deal with Unicode now.
>
> I had used Text::Unidecode happily in Linux but find no cygwin version.
> Possibly I am not
> looking in the right places for it, but possibly there are different
> Unicode-related
> modules that are well-supported under both cygwin and linux that I should
> be using
> instead, and I guess Unicode might be one of those things where it depends
> on the
> underlying o/s so it probably pays to go with whatever is the standard set
> of modules.
>
> 1. What perl Unicode modules should I consider, if not Text::Unidecode?
> The present need
> is to be able to convert those few "foreign" characters (like
> ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ)
> that are basically ASCII with accent marks to their closest ASCII
> equivalents, but I'd
> like to do more with Unicode in the future, without going down any
> dead-ends as far as
> being able to run under cygwin is concerned.

"Stripping those few foreign accent characters" is probably not really what
you want to do.

Those "accent characters" are misinterpreted foreign encoding (likely not
to be Unicode) characters. Simply "stripping" the "accent characters" will
basically convert them to truly meaningless junk. I suppose the meaningless
junk can then be interpreted by the reader as "used to be a be a foreign
word here", but why bother contributing further to information entropy?

2. I see some talk of Internationalization in Chapter 2 of "Setting up
> Cygwin", but
> cannot see anything relating to perl modules, and I don't see any easy way
> to search many
> months of the mailing list for a keyword... is there any information I
> should know about?

Have you read the perldoc on internationalization?

* Re: Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-04-05  6:43 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2021-04-05  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Mark Aitchison writes:
> I am writing perl programs that I'd like to know will work under both
> Linux and Cygwin, and have to deal with Unicode now.

Why not do it properly, i.e. actually work in unicode?

> I had used Text::Unidecode happily in Linux but find no cygwin
> version. Possibly I am not looking in the right places for it, but
> possibly there are different Unicode-related modules that are
> well-supported under both cygwin and linux that I should be using
> instead, and I guess Unicode might be one of those things where it
> depends on the underlying o/s so it probably pays to go with whatever
> is the standard set of modules.

Text::Unidecode _strips_ unicode characters down to ASCII so that
programs that are non-Unicode aware will not balk.  This may have been
useful in the past, but I no longer see the point when the standard
environment almost everywhere is either UTF-8 or UTF-16 these days.

[…]

See "perldoc unicode" for starters.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?
@ 2021-04-05  9:26   ` L A Walsh
From: L A Walsh @ 2021-04-05  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Rees; +Cc: cygwin

On 2021/04/04 14:26, Joel Rees via Cygwin wrote:

>> 1. What perl Unicode modules should I consider, if not Text::Unidecode?
>> The present need
>> is to be able to convert those few "foreign" characters (like
>> ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ)
>> that are basically ASCII with accent marks to their closest ASCII
>> equivalents, but I'd
>> like to do more with Unicode in the future, without going down any
>> dead-ends as far as
>> being able to run under cygwin is concerned.
>>

> "Stripping those few foreign accent characters" is probably not really what
> you want to do.

----
    Why not?  You don't know his use case and you are misinterpreting his
example as random garbage.

Those aren't a random foreign encoding -- those are C's G's then E, I O
with accent variations that he may want to collapse for purposes of storing
in a text storage and retrieval (search) application.  They are all well
formed/well-coded UTF-8 characters -- they are not some 8-bit encoding
that was remangled during a no-recoding display of them in a UTF-8
context.

I didn't know about Text::Unidecode -- but it specifically to create
Latinized alternatives to foreign characters.  That was another hint
that it wasn't a random mistake.  The manpage for it says:

       It often happens that you have non-Roman text data in Unicode,
but you
       can't display it -- usually because you're trying to show it to a
user
       via an application that doesn't support Unicode, or because the fonts
       you need aren't accessible.  You could represent the Unicode
characters
       as "???????" or "\15BA\15A0\1610...", but that's nearly useless
to the
       user who actually wants to read what the text says.

An example was like:

tperl
use utf8;
use Text::Unidecode;
my $name="\x{5317}\x{4EB0}";

printf "name, %s == %s\n", $name, unidecode($name);
'
name, 北亰 == Bei Jing

It's not just about removing accents but getting an English
like translation based on the foreign text.

All of the characters he used as example were well coded utf-8
characters --

@ 2021-04-05 10:49     ` Joel Rees
From: Joel Rees @ 2021-04-05 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 6:26 PM L A Walsh <cygwin@tlinx.org> wrote:

> On 2021/04/04 14:26, Joel Rees via Cygwin wrote:
> >
> >> 1. What perl Unicode modules should I consider, if not Text::Unidecode?
> >> The present need
> >> is to be able to convert those few "foreign" characters (like
> >> ÇĆĈĊçĉċĜĞĠĢĝģğġËÌÍÎÏÒÓÔÕ)
> >> that are basically ASCII with accent marks to their closest ASCII
> >> equivalents, but I'd
> >> like to do more with Unicode in the future, without going down any
> >> dead-ends as far as
> >> being able to run under cygwin is concerned.
> >>

> > "Stripping those few foreign accent characters" is probably not really what
> > you want to do.
> >
> ----
>     Why not?  You don't know his use case and you are misinterpreting his
> example as random garbage.

Actually, I was specifically _not_ interpreting them as random garbage. If they
were random garbage, it wouldn't matter what he does with them.

> Those aren't a random foreign encoding -- those are C's G's then E, I O
> with accent variations that he may want to collapse for purposes of storing
> in a text storage and retrieval (search) application.

in this world many things are possible, and those may actually be intentional
strings of characters with assorted diacriticals, some sort of example of
diacriticals, and he may have some reason to force the characters to their
base form instead of regenerating the text. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting
his intent. Maybe he doesn't want to strip the diacriticals so much as convert
the combinations to something like punycode.

> They are all well
> formed/well-coded UTF-8 characters -- they are not some 8-bit encoding
> that was remangled during a no-recoding display of them in a UTF-8
> context.

I've seen lots of strings like that that are the result of e-mail software
mangling. In Japan, we call it 文字化け (mojibake). And, yes, the e-mail
software "helpfully" converts the misinterpreted bytes to well-formed
but entirely irrelevant UTF-8 in many cases.

I will acknowledge that I don't see it as often as I used to, but it
still happens.

> I didn't know about Text::Unidecode -- but it specifically to create
> Latinized alternatives to foreign characters.  That was another hint
> that it wasn't a random mistake.  The manpage for it says:
>
>        It often happens that you have non-Roman text data in Unicode,
> but you
>        can't display it -- usually because you're trying to show it to a
> user
>        via an application that doesn't support Unicode, or because the fonts
>        you need aren't accessible.  You could represent the Unicode
> characters
>        as "???????" or "\15BA\15A0\1610...", but that's nearly useless
> to the
>        user who actually wants to read what the text says.
>
> An example was like:
>
> tperl
> use utf8;
> use Text::Unidecode;
> my $name="\x{5317}\x{4EB0}";
>
> printf "name, %s == %s\n", $name, unidecode($name);
> '
> name, 北亰 == Bei Jing

I would not call that "stripping" accent marks. It's a process of
recognizing the
characters, looking them up in a dictionary, and finding a reasonable Latinized
equivalent, which is a fairly involved process requiring a bit of
heuristics, since
there is often a many-to-many mapping involved.

> It's not just about removing accents but getting an English
> like translation based on the foreign text.

And that's actually what I was trying to point him to?

Okay, maybe my suggestions were too elliptical. Maybe I should have told
myself I was too busy and ignored his question like everybody else.

[snip]

--
Joel Rees

http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html

* Re: Perl Unidecode modules - which to use (if not Text::Unidecode)?
@ 2021-04-05 21:50       ` Mark Aitchison
From: Mark Aitchison @ 2021-04-05 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Rees; +Cc: cygwin

A little more detail... I realise that stripping accents off is often not a good thing to do, but at the moment that basically is what I'm after, or to be more specific: I want to know if the character is a consonant or vowel... I basically throw away vowels and punctuation in this odd application. Later I will want to do all sorts of things with input text that might be utf8 or utf16 or some encoding that (hopefully) I can guess and translate to the same standard and ultimately spit out on a web page.

There seem to be many perl modules that do similar things... I want to be able to distribute my code and not require people to download things from cpan. I'd like to stick with modules that are as stock standard as standard can be, i.e. are in a standard cygwin distribution, and are normally found in other perl environments. In a sense, searching cpan gives me too many options because that includes modules that might require a customer to do more than I should ask them to have to do, if it could have been avoided by me choosing a more standard way of achieving the goal in the first place.

What I probably should have asked is...
1. What perl module, that comes with cygwin, is good for telling whether a letter is a consonant?
2. Later on I will also need something that makes a reasonable guess as to what kind of encoding is used in some text (that might not have a helpful header telling me the answer), with the view to converting it to whatever encoding I want? I can find software to do this, but I would like to restrict options to just those a cygwin user can install with the setup program... if I'm not being too unrealistic about that requirement.
Thanks, Mark

@ 2021-04-05 22:39         ` Joel Rees
From: Joel Rees @ 2021-04-05 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Well, in the following, are your plans cognizant of the fact that many
major languages do not incorporate a partition between vowels and
consonants?

Do you plan to target only those languages which do?