* git-email missing module
@ 2018-08-04 14:11 john doe
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: john doe @ 2018-08-04 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

On a fresh install of Cygwin_x86_64, I have installed "git,git-email"
packages and I'm getting the following:

$ git send-email master --confirm=always --to=xxx@example.com
BUG: The 'Mail::Address' module is not here, but NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS
was set!

Git needs this Perl module from the CPAN, and will by default ship
with a copy of it. This Git was built with NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS,
meaning that whoever built it promised to provide this module.

You're seeing this error because they broke that promise, and we can't
load our fallback version, since we were asked not to install it.

If you're seeing this error and didn't package Git yourself the
package you're using is broken, or your system is broken. This error
won't appear if Git is built without NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS (instead
we'll use our fallback version of the module). at
/usr/share/perl5/Git/LoadCPAN.pm line 76.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/share/perl5/Git/LoadCPAN/Mail/Address.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/libexec/git-core/git-send-email
line 36.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/libexec/git-core/git-send-email line 36.

I had to install "Mail::Address" manually using cpan.

--
John Doe

* Re: git-email missing module
@ 2018-08-04 15:55 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2018-08-04 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/4/2018 10:11 AM, john doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a fresh install of Cygwin_x86_64, I have installed "git,git-email" packages
> and I'm getting the following:
>
> $ git send-email master --confirm=always --to=xxx@example.com
> BUG: The 'Mail::Address' module is not here, but NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS was set!

I don't get this error.

> Git needs this Perl module from the CPAN, and will by default ship
> with a copy of it. This Git was built with NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS,
> meaning that whoever built it promised to provide this module.
>
> You're seeing this error because they broke that promise, and we can't
> load our fallback version, since we were asked not to install it.
>
> If you're seeing this error and didn't package Git yourself the
> package you're using is broken, or your system is broken. This error
> won't appear if Git is built without NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS (instead
> we'll use our fallback version of the module). at
> /usr/share/perl5/Git/LoadCPAN.pm line 76.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/share/perl5/Git/LoadCPAN/Mail/Address.pm line 8.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/libexec/git-core/git-send-email line 36.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/libexec/git-core/git-send-email line 36.
>
> I had to install "Mail::Address" manually using cpan.

You shouldn't have had to do that:

$ cygcheck -l git | grep Mail/Address.pm
/usr/share/perl5/FromCPAN/Mail/Address.pm
/usr/share/perl5/Git/LoadCPAN/Mail/Address.pm

Do you have these files?

Ken

* Re: git-email missing module
@ 2018-08-04 17:49 ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2018-08-04 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 15:11, john doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On a fresh install of Cygwin_x86_64, I have installed "git,git-email"
> packages and I'm getting the following:
>
> $ git send-email master --confirm=always --to=xxx@example.com
> BUG: The 'Mail::Address' module is not here, but NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS
> was set!

Hi John,

The relevant Perl module should have been installed as a dependency of
the git-email package, which is how I (as the Cygwin Git maintainer)
meet that promise to provide the Mail::Address module. It's possible
that I've made an error in the package dependency records; I'm not
immediately able to check the details, but I should be able to look at
it next week.

In the interim, are you able to provide a cygcheck output file per the
instructions at http://cygwin.com/problems.html? That'll let me /
others on the list check if something has gone wrong with your
installation to mean things weren't installed correctly.

Cheers,

Adam

* Re: git-email missing module
@ 2018-08-04 18:39 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2018-08-04 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

john doe writes:
> I had to install "Mail::Address" manually using cpan.

You shouldn't do that.  The module in question is packaged with
perl-MailTools (camelcased), so this needs to be added to the
dependencies for Git.

Adam, the perl modules that come with Git need to be properly provided
as perl-* packages if necessary, and not simply dropped into
/usr/lib/perl5 (where these are installed now they won't be found
anyway unless Git also plays with @INC).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: git-email missing module
@ 2018-08-04 19:41   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2018-08-04 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 8/4/2018 11:55 AM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 8/4/2018 10:11 AM, john doe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On a fresh install of Cygwin_x86_64, I have installed "git,git-email"
>> packages and I'm getting the following:
>>
>> $ git send-email master --confirm=always --to=xxx@example.com
>> BUG: The 'Mail::Address' module is not here, but
>> NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS was set!
>
> I don't get this error.

I take it back.  I didn't get the error because I had perl-MailTools
installed.  If I uninstall it, I do get the error.

See Achim's email.

Ken

* Re: git-email missing module
@ 2018-08-04 20:09   ` john doe
From: john doe @ 2018-08-04 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Adam,

On 8/4/2018 7:49 PM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 at 15:11, john doe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On a fresh install of Cygwin_x86_64, I have installed "git,git-email"
>> packages and I'm getting the following:
>>
>> $ git send-email master --confirm=always --to=xxx@example.com
>> BUG: The 'Mail::Address' module is not here, but NO_PERL_CPAN_FALLBACKS
>> was set!
>
> Hi John,
>
> The relevant Perl module should have been installed as a dependency of
> the git-email package, which is how I (as the Cygwin Git maintainer)
> meet that promise to provide the Mail::Address module. It's possible
> that I've made an error in the package dependency records; I'm not
> immediately able to check the details, but I should be able to look at
> it next week.

Installing the package (perl-MailTools) suggested by  "Achim Gratz
<Stromeko@nexgo.de>" fixes the issue.

> In the interim, are you able to provide a cygcheck output file per the
> instructions at http://cygwin.com/problems.html? That'll let me /
> others on the list check if something has gone wrong with your
> installation to mean things weren't installed correctly.

I'll be happy to provide that file (cygcheck -s -v -r), if I can send it
privately.

Thanks Adam for your answer and thanks to any one who has contributed to
this thread.

--
John Doe