* 'bat' for cygwin
@ 2023-03-10 17:58 Scott Smith
From: Scott Smith @ 2023-03-10 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Has anyone compiled bat for cygwin64?

If not, could it be added for consideration to be added to the
repository, please?

Meanwhile, although I know 0% about Rust, if someone can tell me how to
install Rust, then I could take a shot at compiling it myself.

Thanks

* Re: 'bat' for cygwin
@ 2023-03-10 18:18 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2023-03-10 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Smith; +Cc: cygwin

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 6:58 PM Scott Smith via Cygwin wrote:

> Has anyone compiled bat for cygwin64?
>
> If not, could it be added for consideration to be added to the
> repository, please?
>
> Meanwhile, although I know 0% about Rust, if someone can tell me how to
> install Rust, then I could take a shot at compiling it myself.
>
> Thanks

Hi Scott,
sorry but , there is no rust compiler for Cygwin

Regards
Marco

* Re: 'bat' for cygwin
@ 2023-03-10 19:29   ` Thomas Wolff
From: Thomas Wolff @ 2023-03-10 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Am 10.03.2023 um 19:18 schrieb marco atzeri via Cygwin:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 6:58 PM Scott Smith via Cygwin wrote:
>> Has anyone compiled bat for cygwin64?
>>
>> If not, could it be added for consideration to be added to the
>> repository, please?
>>
>> Meanwhile, although I know 0% about Rust, if someone can tell me how to
>> install Rust, then I could take a shot at compiling it myself.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> Hi Scott,
> sorry but , there is no rust compiler for Cygwin
Also Rust does not support a cygwin build:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/79854

* 'bat' for cygwin
@ 2023-03-10 19:33   ` Scott Smith
From: Scott Smith @ 2023-03-10 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marco atzeri; +Cc: cygwin

Marco,

Well, that's disappointing; however, it's not an essential for my project.

While bat is nicer, cat will suffice. I will add a presence test to
use bat when it exists and fall back to cat. The few cygwin instances
I have will just have to be jealous of their linux counterparts!

Thank you

@ 2023-03-10 19:46 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2023-03-10 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Scott Smith via Cygwin writes:
> Meanwhile, although I know 0% about Rust, if someone can tell me how to
> install Rust, then I could take a shot at compiling it myself.

No you can't.  Upstream rust has refused to support Cygwin on multiple
occasions because they "already support Windows".  Gcc rust has not
yet materialized and once it does, it remains to be see how long it'll
take for Cygwin to actually have a working port.

N.B.: Go has the same issues with slightly differing details.

Achim.

* Re: 'bat' for cygwin
@ 2023-03-13 10:50     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2023-03-13 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 10 20:29, Thomas Wolff via Cygwin wrote:

> Am 10.03.2023 um 19:18 schrieb marco atzeri via Cygwin:
> > On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 6:58 PM Scott Smith via Cygwin wrote:
> > > Has anyone compiled bat for cygwin64?
> > >
> > > If not, could it be added for consideration to be added to the
> > > repository, please?
> > >
> > > Meanwhile, although I know 0% about Rust, if someone can tell me how to
> > > install Rust, then I could take a shot at compiling it myself.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > Hi Scott,
> > sorry but , there is no rust compiler for Cygwin
> Also Rust does not support a cygwin build:
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/79854

https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI I guess...

Corinna