* UPX compressed setup-x86_64.exe crashes on Win10
@ 2019-01-21  8:03 Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2019-01-21  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all

I recently got a new laptop at work with Win10 (1709). I went ahead,
downloaded setup-x86_64.exe and wanted to install Cygwin. However, it
crashes with a segmentation fault. Trying to get to the bottom of
things I got the sources on my old laptop and compiled the thing,
copied it to the new laptop, and surprisingly it worked. I then tried
the stripped version. Again, it worked. However, when I tried to run
the UPX compressed executable, I got the segfault again.

Anybody else experiencing this? I tried trawling through the mailing
list, but nothing specific turned up. Maybe this is an interaction
with the BLODA imposed on me by our company IT policy. But then I'd
expect others to have seen this issue too.

Cheers

Michael

* Re: UPX compressed setup-x86_64.exe crashes on Win10
@ 2019-01-21 17:19 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-01-21 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Michael Wild writes:
> Anybody else experiencing this? I tried trawling through the mailing
> list, but nothing specific turned up. Maybe this is an interaction
> with the BLODA imposed on me by our company IT policy. But then I'd
> expect others to have seen this issue too.

It wouldn't be the first time antivirus heuristics target UPX routines
instead of actual malware code.  You'll have to wait for the vendor or
your organization to whitelist the relatively new setup.exe (unless
you're allowed to do that yourself).

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: UPX compressed setup-x86_64.exe crashes on Win10
@ 2019-01-21 18:25   ` Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2019-01-21 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 18:19 Achim Gratz wrote:

> Michael Wild writes:
> > Anybody else experiencing this? I tried trawling through the mailing
> > list, but nothing specific turned up. Maybe this is an interaction
> > with the BLODA imposed on me by our company IT policy. But then I'd
> > expect others to have seen this issue too.
>
> It wouldn't be the first time antivirus heuristics target UPX routines
> instead of actual malware code.  You'll have to wait for the vendor or
> your organization to whitelist the relatively new setup.exe (unless
> you're allowed to do that yourself).
>

> Regards,
> Achim.

Thanks. I have very little hope of getting it whitelisted... Is UPX
compression really a necessity? Otherwise I'll have to resort to my custom
compiled versions.

@ 2019-01-21 19:55     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-01-21 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Michael Wild writes:
> Thanks. I have very little hope of getting it whitelisted... Is UPX
> compression really a necessity? Otherwise I'll have to resort to my custom
> compiled versions.

No, that's just so the download is smaller.  Which isn't the point if
you've built it yourself anyway… you could decompress it if you really
don't trust your own version or want to skip building it.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: UPX compressed setup-x86_64.exe crashes on Win10
@ 2019-01-21 21:12       ` Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2019-01-21 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 20:55 Achim Gratz wrote:

> Michael Wild writes:
> > Thanks. I have very little hope of getting it whitelisted... Is UPX
> > compression really a necessity? Otherwise I'll have to resort to my
> custom
> > compiled versions.
>
> No, that's just so the download is smaller.  Which isn't the point if
> you've built it yourself anyway… you could decompress it if you really
> don't trust your own version or want to skip building it.

Interesting. Somehow I assumed that this was a one-way process. But how do
I bootstrap? Can I just use the download from upx.github.io? That'll be
what I try next then.

@ 2019-01-22 16:53         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-01-22 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-01-21 14:12, Michael Wild wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2019, 20:55 Achim Gratz wrote:
>> Michael Wild writes:
>>> Thanks. I have very little hope of getting it whitelisted... Is UPX
>>> compression really a necessity? Otherwise I'll have to resort to my
>>> custom compiled versions.
>> No, that's just so the download is smaller.  Which isn't the point if
>> you've built it yourself anyway… you could decompress it if you really
>> don't trust your own version or want to skip building it.
> Interesting. Somehow I assumed that this was a one-way process. But how do
> I bootstrap? Can I just use the download from upx.github.io? That'll be
> what I try next then.

apt-cyg install upx && man upx # ;^>

* Re: UPX compressed setup-x86_64.exe crashes on Win10
@ 2019-01-22 17:28           ` Michael Wild
From: Michael Wild @ 2019-01-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 5:54 PM Brian Inglis wrote:
> > But how do  I bootstrap? Can I just use the download from upx.github.io? That'll be
> > what I try next then.
>
> apt-cyg install upx && man upx # ;^>

Thanks, but until I get a running setup.exe I can't get a running
Cygwin and only then I can get a running apt-cyg, right?

* Re: UPX compressed setup-x86_64.exe crashes on Win10
@ 2019-01-22 18:34             ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2019-01-22 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Michael Wild writes:
> Thanks, but until I get a running setup.exe I can't get a running
> Cygwin and only then I can get a running apt-cyg, right?

You only need a UPX executable, you can get it from upstream:

https://github.com/upx/upx/releases

And (somewhat uncharacteristically) they actually adhere to the informal
standard of using "-d" to indicate that you want to decompress.

Regards,
Achim.