* Annoying error messages from setup
@ 2019-03-07  0:02 Enrique Perez-Terron
From: Enrique Perez-Terron @ 2019-03-07  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

For some time (several months), the setup program always finishes with
the following message:

> Package: _/cygwin-doc
> 	cygwin-doc.sh exit code 3
> Package: z/Perpetual
> 	zp_texlive_finish.dash exit code 20

Looking into setup.log.full, I find:

> 2019/03/06 22:39:56 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
> "/etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh"
> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target
> directory exist?
> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target
> directory exist?
> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target
> directory exist?
> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target
> directory exist?
> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/Home Page.lnk" failed; does the target
> directory exist?
> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/FAQ.lnk" failed; does the target directory
> exist?
> 2019/03/06 22:39:57 abnormal exit: exit code=3

Where do the "/C:" parts in the middle of the link names come from?
Investigating, I find that mkshortcut is being called like this:

> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (PDF)" -d "Cygwin User
> Guide PDF" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-ug-net.pdf
> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (HTML)" -d "Cygwin User
> Guide HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-ug-net/index.html
> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (PDF)" -d "Cygwin API
> Reference PDF" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-api.pdf
> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (HTML)" -d "Cygwin API
> Reference HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-api/index.html
> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/Home Page" -d "Cygwin Home Page
> Link" -a https://cygwin.com/index.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/FAQ" -d "Cygwin Frequently Asked
> Questions Link" -a https://cygwin.com/faq.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart

There appears to be a bug in mkshortcut.
Could this be somehow related to my enabling native symbolic links?
(Not sure if this error began before I did that.)
I don't know where to find the source for mkshortcut, and not sure if
somebody else
knows this program and can look into it. Should I report this somewhere?

  --

The output from zp_texlive_finish.dash is very long,
so I show only the final lines in setup.log.full:

> Transcript written on lualatex.log.
> fmtutil [INFO]: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/luatex/lualatex.fmt installed.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile eptex.ini for eptex/eptex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile ptex.ini for ptex/ptex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile cslatex.ini for cslatex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile jadetex.ini for jadetex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile platex.ini for platex/eptex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile lambda.ini for lamed/aleph not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain.ini for pdfcsplain/xetex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain-utf8.ini for pdfcsplain/pdftex not
> found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain.ini for pdfcsplain/luatex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfjadetex.ini for pdfjadetex/pdftex not
> found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile mltex.ini for mltex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain-utf8.ini for csplain/pdftex not
> found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfmex.ini for pdfmex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile mex.ini for mex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile xmltex.ini for xmltex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile eplain.ini for eplain/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfxmltex.ini for pdfxmltex/pdftex not
> found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile amstex.ini for amstex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile cslatex.ini for pdfcslatex/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile texsis.ini for texsis/pdftex not found.
> fmtutil [INFO]: Disabled formats: 21
> fmtutil [INFO]: Successfully rebuilt formats: 17
> fmtutil [INFO]: Failed to build: 20 (eptex/eptex ptex/ptex
> pdftex/cslatex pdftex/jadetex eptex/platex aleph/lamed xetex/pdfcsplain
> pdftex/pdfcsplain luatex
> /pdfcsplain pdftex/pdfjadetex pdftex/mltex pdftex/csplain pdftex/pdfmex
> pdftex/mex pdftex/xmltex pdftex/eplain pdftex/pdfxmltex pdftex/amstex
> pdftex/pdfcsl
> atex pdftex/texsis)
> fmtutil [INFO]: Total formats: 58
> fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 20
> 2019/03/06 22:41:17 abnormal exit: exit code=20

Looking at the source of "fmtutil", it appears that this is the key
line:
(It's a perl script; shown with line number)

> 462   return $opts{"strict"} ? $err : 0;

where $err appears to count the fonts not converted.
Looking up the first of the "missing" inifiles, eptex.ini,
I find it belongs to the cygwin package
"texlive-collection-langjapanese-20180414-1"

I have no knowledge of Japanese, and most likely no reason to install
said package.

The perl script also appears to have a mechanism to declare formats
disabled,
but the configuration file /etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf has the
following comment:

> # Modified for the Cygwin distribution so that all formats are
> # initially disabled.  The postinstall scripts will enable those
> # corresponding to installed packages.

I suspect that the postinstall script is broken, enabling formats that
are not installed.
It would take me quite long time to track down how this is implemented
in the postinstall script.
Who can I report this to?

Regards,
Enrique Perez-Terron

[-- Attachment #2: 0xD6B3CEE5.asc --]

* Re: Annoying error messages from setup
@ 2019-03-07  0:57 ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2019-03-07  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
> For some time (several months), the setup program always finishes with the
> following message:
>
>> Package: _/cygwin-doc
>>     cygwin-doc.sh exit code 3
>> Package: z/Perpetual
>>     zp_texlive_finish.dash exit code 20
>
> Looking into setup.log.full, I find:
>
>> 2019/03/06 22:39:56 running: C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe --norc --noprofile
>> "/etc/postinstall/cygwin-doc.sh"
>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target
>> directory exist?
>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/User Guide (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target
>> directory exist?
>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (PDF).lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/API (HTML).lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/Home Page.lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>> mkshortcut: Saving "/cygdrive/c/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start
>> Menu/Programs/C:/cygwin/FAQ.lnk" failed; does the target directory exist?
>> 2019/03/06 22:39:57 abnormal exit: exit code=3
>
> Where do the "/C:" parts in the middle of the link names come from?
> Investigating, I find that mkshortcut is being called like this:
>
>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (PDF)" -d "Cygwin User Guide
>> PDF" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-ug-net.pdf
>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/User Guide (HTML)" -d "Cygwin User Guide
>> HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-ug-net/index.html
>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (PDF)" -d "Cygwin API Reference PDF"
>> -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/cygwin-api.pdf
>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/API (HTML)" -d "Cygwin API Reference
>> HTML" -- /usr/share/doc/cygwin-doc/html/cygwin-api/index.html
>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/Home Page" -d "Cygwin Home Page Link" -a
>> https://cygwin.com/index.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/FAQ" -d "Cygwin Frequently Asked
>> Questions Link" -a https://cygwin.com/faq.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
>
> There appears to be a bug in mkshortcut.
> Could this be somehow related to my enabling native symbolic links?
> (Not sure if this error began before I did that.)
> I don't know where to find the source for mkshortcut, and not sure if somebody else
> knows this program and can look into it. Should I report this somewhere?

Consider it reported :-O.  'cygcheck -p mkshortcut' shows mkshortcut is part of
the cygutils package.  I'm the maintainer.  You aren't using zsh as your shell,
are you?  I ask because zsh apparently has its own mkshortcut.  Let me
experiment a little bit and try to reproduce your first issue.

Your second issue is something totally separate and I can't help with it.

..mark

* Re: Annoying error messages from setup
@ 2019-03-07  6:03   ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2019-03-07  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Enrique,
I don't immediately see what the problem may be. I installed the cygwin-doc
package with the 64-bit Cygwin setup.exe on Windows 7 and it all went well.
More below...

Mark Geisert wrote earlier:
> [...]
>>> https://cygwin.com/index.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/FAQ" -d "Cygwin Frequently Asked
>>> Questions Link" -a https://cygwin.com/faq.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
>>
>> There appears to be a bug in mkshortcut.
>> Could this be somehow related to my enabling native symbolic links?
>> (Not sure if this error began before I did that.)
>> I don't know where to find the source for mkshortcut, and not sure if somebody
>> else
>> knows this program and can look into it. Should I report this somewhere?
>
> Consider it reported :-O.  'cygcheck -p mkshortcut' shows mkshortcut is part of
> the cygutils package.  I'm the maintainer.  You aren't using zsh as your shell,
> are you?  I ask because zsh apparently has its own mkshortcut.  Let me
> experiment a little bit and try to reproduce your first issue.

To see the mkshortcut source, you can use setup.exe to install the latest
cygutils package and click the box saying you want source too.  It will go into
/usr/src. cd into the newly-created cygutils* directory there and do 'cygport
prep' to prepare the source tree for all of cygutils (it's not much).  Then
navigate down to the mkshortcut directory and see mkshortcut.c.

Or use gitweb to inspect the source online. The cygutils source tree is at
git://cygwin.com/cygwin-apps/cygutils.git . You can reach it from the cygwin.com
home page -- click on "Source in Git" on the left side of the page.

How do you enable native symbolic links?  And also, could you please provide the
output of 'cygcheck -svr' as an email attachment on your next reply? Please make
sure to attach, and not just append it to the email, as the latter tends to
poison searches of the archives.
Thanks,

..mark

* Re: Annoying error messages from setup
@ 2019-03-07  6:07   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-03-07  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-03-06 17:57, Mark Geisert wrote:
> [...]
>>> /usr/bin/mkshortcut -A -P -n "Cygwin/FAQ" -d "Cygwin Frequently Asked
>>> Questions Link" -a https://cygwin.com/faq.html -- /usr/bin/cygstart
>> There appears to be a bug in mkshortcut.
>> Could this be somehow related to my enabling native symbolic links?
>> (Not sure if this error began before I did that.)
>> I don't know where to find the source for mkshortcut, and not sure if
>> somebody else knows this program and can look into it. Should I report this
>> somewhere?
> Consider it reported :-O.  'cygcheck -p mkshortcut' shows mkshortcut is part of
> the cygutils package.  I'm the maintainer.  You aren't using zsh as your shell,
> are you?  I ask because zsh apparently has its own mkshortcut.  Let me
> experiment a little bit and try to reproduce your first issue.
> Your second issue is something totally separate and I can't help with it.
The intent of the mkshortcut args -A --allusers from the $CYGWINFORALL setup env
var switches -P --smprograms from using $APPDATA to using $ALLUSERSPROFILE as
the prefix for -P .../Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ and -n Cygwin/...
creates or uses the relative Cygwin subfolder to store the shortcuts.
Could the existence of a C:/Cygwin/ root be confusing mkshortcut into using an
absolute Windows path instead of a path relative to .../Start Menu/Programs/?

* Re: Annoying error messages from setup
@ 2019-03-07  6:11     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2019-03-07  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2019-03-06 23:03, Mark Geisert wrote:
> I don't immediately see what the problem may be. I installed the cygwin-doc
> package with the 64-bit Cygwin setup.exe on Windows 7 and it all went well.

> How do you enable native symbolic links?

	CYGWIN=winsymlinks:native

* Re: Annoying error messages from setup
@ 2019-03-07 12:47 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2019-03-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 3/6/2019 7:02 PM, Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
> For some time (several months), the setup program always finishes with the
> following message:
>
>> Package: _/cygwin-doc
>>     cygwin-doc.sh exit code 3
>> Package: z/Perpetual
>>     zp_texlive_finish.dash exit code 20

> The output from zp_texlive_finish.dash is very long,
> so I show only the final lines in setup.log.full:
>
>> Transcript written on lualatex.log.
>> fmtutil [INFO]: /var/lib/texmf/web2c/luatex/lualatex.fmt installed.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile eptex.ini for eptex/eptex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile ptex.ini for ptex/ptex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile cslatex.ini for cslatex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile jadetex.ini for jadetex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile platex.ini for platex/eptex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile lambda.ini for lamed/aleph not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain.ini for pdfcsplain/xetex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain-utf8.ini for pdfcsplain/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain.ini for pdfcsplain/luatex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfjadetex.ini for pdfjadetex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile mltex.ini for mltex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile csplain-utf8.ini for csplain/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfmex.ini for pdfmex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile mex.ini for mex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile xmltex.ini for xmltex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile eplain.ini for eplain/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile pdfxmltex.ini for pdfxmltex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile amstex.ini for amstex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile cslatex.ini for pdfcslatex/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [WARNING]: inifile texsis.ini for texsis/pdftex not found.
>> fmtutil [INFO]: Disabled formats: 21
>> fmtutil [INFO]: Successfully rebuilt formats: 17
>> fmtutil [INFO]: Failed to build: 20 (eptex/eptex ptex/ptex pdftex/cslatex
>> pdftex/jadetex eptex/platex aleph/lamed xetex/pdfcsplain pdftex/pdfcsplain luatex
>> /pdfcsplain pdftex/pdfjadetex pdftex/mltex pdftex/csplain pdftex/pdfmex
>> pdftex/mex pdftex/xmltex pdftex/eplain pdftex/pdfxmltex pdftex/amstex
>> pdftex/pdfcsl
>> atex pdftex/texsis)
>> fmtutil [INFO]: Total formats: 58
>> fmtutil [INFO]: exiting with status 20
>> 2019/03/06 22:41:17 abnormal exit: exit code=20

Could you make setup.log.full available somewhere?  Maybe it contains some clues
as to what the problem is.  I'd also like to see /etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf,
as well as the output of the following commands:

   ls /var/lib/texmf/postinstall/
   ls /etc/postinstall/*texlive*

Ken

* Re: Annoying error messages from setup
@ 2019-03-08  8:52     ` Mark Geisert
From: Mark Geisert @ 2019-03-08  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Brian,

Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2019-03-06 17:57, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Enrique Perez-Terron wrote:
>>> For some time (several months), the setup program always finishes with the
>>> following message:
>>> Looking into setup.log.full, I find:
>>> Where do the "/C:" parts in the middle of the link names come from?
>>> Investigating, I find that mkshortcut is being called like this:
>>> There appears to be a bug in mkshortcut.
>>> Could this be somehow related to my enabling native symbolic links?
>>> (Not sure if this error began before I did that.)
>>> I don't know where to find the source for mkshortcut, and not sure if
>>> somebody else knows this program and can look into it. Should I report this
>>> somewhere?
>> Consider it reported :-O.  'cygcheck -p mkshortcut' shows mkshortcut is part of
>> the cygutils package.  I'm the maintainer.  You aren't using zsh as your shell,
>> are you?  I ask because zsh apparently has its own mkshortcut.  Let me
>> experiment a little bit and try to reproduce your first issue.
>> Your second issue is something totally separate and I can't help with it.
> The intent of the mkshortcut args -A --allusers from the $CYGWINFORALL setup env
> var switches -P --smprograms from using $APPDATA to using $ALLUSERSPROFILE as
> the prefix for -P .../Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs/ and -n Cygwin/...
> creates or uses the relative Cygwin subfolder to store the shortcuts.
> Could the existence of a C:/Cygwin/ root be confusing mkshortcut into using an
> absolute Windows path instead of a path relative to .../Start Menu/Programs/?

Thanks for this plausible cause and your reminder re winsymlink.  I played
around a bit in both normal and elevated shells but could not reproduce the OP's
issue.  I'm waiting for the OP's cygcheck output to narrow down the Windows
version, cygutils version, mount table, Cygwin root directory, and probably more
that I'm not needing yet.

..mark