* Redirecting stderr to stdout through pipe doesn't work the way it does in Linux
@ 2018-12-04 20:41 David Karr
From: David Karr @ 2018-12-04 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CYGWIN_NT-6.1 WACDTL03DK068X 2.9.0(0.318/5/3)"

I installed a version of "kubectl" for windows, and I use it extensively in
Cygwin bash for scripting command-line automation. In general, this works
perfectly fine. I even use the same scripting in a Linux VM.

I'm seeing an issue with one script that works fine in the Linux VM, but
not in Cygwin.

The command line is approximately this:

     kubectl exec pod -c container -i -t -- grep "string" stuff.properties
2>&1 | sed -e 's/^propname=//'

In Linux, this works perfectly fine.  In Cygwin, it says "stdout is not a
tty".

I haven't updated my local Cygwin installation for quite a while. I'd
prefer not to, unless there is a strong chance this kind of thing would be
fixed.