* Necessary/Essential Packages for Cygwin GNOME and KDE Installation
       [not found] <762901060.697104.1529652676506.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-06-22  8:49 ` Auteria W. Winzer Jr. via cygwin
From: Auteria W. Winzer Jr. via cygwin @ 2018-06-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I want to install the latest Cygwin GNOME and KDE desktops on Windows 10, yet from online searches the information that's currently out there is obsolete.

For example, after reviewing the GNOME install procedure, when I add the URL http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it comes back with an HTTP 404 "site not found".

The same holds true for KDE. The installation procedure states add the URL http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it also returns an HTTP 404 error "site not found"

However, I see GNOME and KDE categories within Cygwin setup. My questions are 1) What are the essential/necessary packages to install both GNOME and KDE? I haven't come across online info on the steps necessary.

On my Windows 8 laptop, I was able to install GNOME and KDE Desktops with no issues back then, and they were linked to XWin Server where if I right click on the Cygwin X Server Icon, they're listed in the table of contents to invoke.
I sincerely appreciate the information. My goal is to install the full desktops as previous. There are no issues with the Cygwin X-Free installation. I'm good there.

Thanks, and regards,
Auteria Winzer Jr.

* Re: Necessary/Essential Packages for Cygwin GNOME and KDE Installation
@ 2018-06-22 11:16   ` Marco Atzeri
       [not found]     ` <1643200908.718238.1529656110297@mail.yahoo.com>
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-06-22 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, wwinzer

On 6/22/2018 9:31 AM, Auteria W. Winzer Jr. via cygwin wrote:
> I want to install the latest Cygwin GNOME and KDE desktops on Windows 10, yet from online searches the information that's currently out there is obsolete.
>
> For example, after reviewing the GNOME install procedure, when I add the URL http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it comes back with an HTTP 404 "site not found".
>
> The same holds true for KDE. The installation procedure states add the URL http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it also returns an HTTP 404 error "site not found"
>
> However, I see GNOME and KDE categories within Cygwin setup. My questions are 1) What are the essential/necessary packages to install both GNOME and KDE? I haven't come across online info on the steps necessary.
>
> On my Windows 8 laptop, I was able to install GNOME and KDE Desktops with no issues back then, and they were linked to XWin Server where if I right click on the Cygwin X Server Icon, they're listed in the table of contents to invoke.
> I sincerely appreciate the information. My goal is to install the full desktops as previous. There are no issues with the Cygwin X-Free installation. I'm good there.
>
> Thanks, and regards,
> Auteria Winzer Jr.

Yaakov already answered you

@ 2018-06-22 12:34       ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2018-06-22 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Auteria W. Winzer Jr., Auteria Winzer Jr., Auteria Winzer Jr.,
	Auteria Winzer Jr., Auteria Winzer Jr.,
	cygwin

On 6/22/2018 10:28 AM, Auteria W. Winzer Jr. wrote:
> Marco,
>
> If I select just the packages mentioned in Yaakov's response, will Setup automatically capture its dependencies?
> I ask because, in previous Setup executables, the dependencies are listed once a package is selected.
>
> Regards,
> Auteria Winzer Jr.

please reply/follow up on the mailing lists, and if not already
enroll on it, as usually here people reply only to the mailing list

https://cygwin.com/cygwin/lists.html

About your question:
Setup will select and propose all the dependencies.

Marco

PS: five mail accounts ? very curious.

* Re: Necessary/Essential Packages for Cygwin GNOME and KDE Installation
       [not found] ` <1043960345.7320645.1527789400288@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2018-06-01  3:51   ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2018-06-01  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2018-05-31 12:56, Auteria W. Winzer Jr. via cygwin wrote:
> I want to install the latest Cygwin GNOME and KDE desktops on Windows 10, yet from online searches the information that's currently out there is obsolete.
>
> For example, after reviewing the GNOME install procedure, when I add the URL http://cygnome.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it comes back with an HTTP 404 "site not found".
>
> The same holds true for KDE. The installation procedure states add the URL http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/install to the list of mirrored installation sites, it also returns an HTTP 404 error "site not found"

These projects are ancient and no longer supported.

> However, I see GNOME and KDE categories within Cygwin setup. My questions are 1) What are the essential/necessary packages to install both GNOME and KDE? I haven't come across online info on the steps necessary.

For the GNOME (Flashback) DE, install gnome-flashback (and its
dependencies).
For the Plasma DE, install plasma-workspace (and its dependencies).

> On my Windows 8 laptop, I was able to install GNOME and KDE Desktops with no issues back then, and they were linked to XWin Server where if I right click on the Cygwin X Server Icon, they're listed in the table of contents to invoke.

Each DE installs a Start Menu entry (under Cygwin-X) with which you
should start it.

--
Yaakov